North Goa Travel Guide: 8 Amazing Places to Visit in North Goa (2021)
When you want to party hard and experience nightlife at its best, there can’t be any place better than Goa, especially North Goa. Located in Western India, Goa attracts thousands of visitors every year from home and abroad because of its vibrant atmosphere, delectable cuisine, and nightlife. Filled with sea, sand, and sunshine, Goa is home to golden beaches that will leave you amazed. Whether you want to visit magnificent forts or electrifying party places, Goa offers you all. If you are in North Goa, here are a couple of places that you simply can’t miss.
North Goa Travel Guide: 8 Amazing Places to Visit in North Goa
1. Vagator Beach: Being one of the most popular beaches in North Goa, Vagator Beach has earned fame for being home to the Sunburn. Adorning itself with cracked rocks, this beach is one of the most happening places that you will ever find in Goa. Hosting various music festivals throughout the year, this beach also features a flea market. What adds to the beauty of this beach is the presence of the red cliffs here. Unraveling the best opportunity for you to experience spectacular sunsets, this beach allows you to go for cliff jumping as well.
Location: Vagator Beach Road, Goa
Timings: 5 AM to 10 PM
2. Fort Aguada: Located in Candolim, Fort Aguada is one of the most popular forts that you can’t miss in North Goa. Built in the 17th century, this fort enables you to enjoy the spectacular view of the Arabian sea. The lighthouse here is one of the oldest one of its kind in the continent. You will also find a series of prison cells at this fort. Upholding Portuguese architecture, this fort carries a historical legacy. This fort used to be the source of freshwater for sailors back in days and could hold up to 2,376,000 gallons of water.
Location: Fort Aguada Rd, Aguada Fort Area, Candolim, Goa
Timings: 9:30 AM to 6 PM
3. Reis Magos Fort: Located in Verem, Reis Magos Fort is known for being the oldest fort in the state. Today it stands as a Cultural and Heritage Centre after restoration. After being constructed in the 1550s, this fort was built by the Portugese to prevent Dutch intrusions. The fort served as defense fortress for years before it became a jail and then a hospital. After being abandoned in 1993, Mario Miranda approached Lady Hamlyn of the Helen Hamlyn trust for the purpose of funding the restoration. Then the fort was opened for the public in 2012.
Location: Verem, Goa
Timings: 9:30 AM to 5 PM (Closed on Mondays)
4. Basilica of Bom Jesus: Located in Old Goa, the Basilica of Bom Jesus Is home to the remains of St Francis Xavier. Being one of the significant churches of the Churches and convents of Goa UNESCO World Heritage Site, this church adorns itself with baroque architecture. Upholding various elements of Ionic, Doric, and Corinthian design, the indoor of this church embellishes itself with the finest marble. You’ll also find a statue of Saint Ignatius of Loyola here. Don’t miss the modern art gallery here which showcases various paintings that depict many scenes from the Bible.
Location: Old Goa Rd, Bainguinim, Goa
Timings: 9 AM to 6:30 PM (Monday to Saturday) and 10:30 AM to 6:30 PM (Sunday)
5. Arambol Beach: The list of places to visit in North Goa will remain incomplete without mentioning North Goa. Besides having an unique Bohemian charm, this beach is for those who are looking for serenity away from the crowded beaches. Whether you want to indulge in water sports or want to spend your evening watching birds, this is the best place to be at. You can also buy a wide variety of junk jewelry from the shops here on the beach. Don’t miss dolphin sighting trips or swimming here.
Location: Arambol Beach, Arambol, Goa
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM
6. Temple Of Bogdeshwara: Being one of the most popular tourist attractions in North Goa, Temple Of Bogdeshwara attracts thousands of visitors every year. Surrounded by lush greenery, this temple is dedicated to Kanakeshwar Baba or Bodgeshwar, who is popularly known as Bongini among the locals. Known for fulfilling the desires of the devotees, Bodgeshwar receives offerings from the devotees throughout the year. You should visit this temple during Zatra which takes place in December and January. This annual festival is visited by locals and tourists alike.
Location: Calangute – Mapusa Road, Mapusa, Goa
Timings: 8 AM to 8 PM
7. Chapora Fort: Being one of the most prominent Portuguese architectural wonders that Goa boasts of, Chapora Fort is extremely popular among history lovers and photo fanatics. Overlooking the Chapora river, this fort was featured in Bollywood classics like Dil Chahta Hai. If you want to experience a spectacular sunset during your stay in Goa, there is no better spot than the Chapora Fort. After being built in 1717, this fort was held by different rulers for years. Many believe that Marathas and Portuguese fought over gaining control of this fort.
Location: Chapora Fort Rd, North Goa, Chapora, Goa
Timings: 9:30 Am to 5:30 PM
8. Chorao Island: Another gem that you can’t miss during your stay in North Goa is the Chorao Island. Often regarded as one of the best-kept secrets of Goa, Chorao Island is home to the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. Adorning itself with a natural reserve and dense mangroves, this island is home to a wide variety of birds including egrets, coots, kingfishers, etc. The Chorao village here is perfect for those who want to go on a ride in the countryside. Also, you’ll get an opportunity to experience white-washed churches along with colorful homes here. Other places that you must see here include St. Bartholomew’s Church, Our Lady of Grace Church, etc.
Location: Chorao, Ilhas de Goa, Goa
Whether you want a refreshing break from your mundane life or are simply looking for a beach holiday, Goa is the best destination that you can ever think of. Better known as the Party-State, Goa is home to hundreds of places that will leave you amazed. Whether you want to go on beach hopping or want to experience spectacular sunsets, you will get everything here. These hand-picked destinations in North Goa unravel the best opportunity for you to go on a holiday that you can cherish forever.