Visit Narkanda: Things To Do and Places To Visit When In Narkanda (2022)
Narkanda is a beautiful small town located in Shimla district in the state of Himachal Pradesh in India. This town is very popular for skiing in the winter. Many tourists from the country and outside the country visit this place to enjoy skiing during winters. This town is increasingly becoming very popular among tourists these days. It is better to plan a visit to Narkanda before it becomes a tourist hub like Shimla and commercialized that it gets difficult to find a quiet spot in this hilly town.
Narkanda is surrounded by forests and tall pine and deodar trees. Its captivating beauty attracts everyone and makes it difficult to go back to your cities once you are in this part of the Himalayas.
Narkanda is situated at a height of 9000 feet and is famous for the lush greenery and its beautiful apple orchards. This town and the nearby areas should not be missed if you are around as it is surrounded by tropical forests and majestic hills. Narkanda also has a lake which is called Tannu Jabar Lake which is one of the most important tourist attractions here. There is an ancient temple near this lake which is a must-visit for all tourists and devotees coming here. Narkanda also has many hiking trails for the adventure-seekers and also has a beautiful hill called Hatu Nag which one can trek up to or you can also take a taxi till a point and walk further During winters the way up Hatu peak becomes very slippery and gets difficult to climb if you are not wearing the proper shoes. This hill offers a panoramic view of the town below and all adventure lovers traveling to this town should go here. People go skiing to the Hatu peak during the winter. The details to plan your vacation to this little paradise are listed below.
Things To Do and Places To Visit When In Narkanda
- Hatu Peak: Hatu peak is the highest peak located in the entire Shimla district. It is located at 12,000 feet above sea level. Hatu peak is surrounded by majestic mountains and lush greenery which would bewitch you into visiting the place over and over. It is majorly covered with dense cover of maple, oak, and conifers. This greenery makes the place even more beautiful and would force you to come back. It is a great day hike from Narkanda town to the Hatu peak. You can come during the day, spend your day here at the peak enjoying the weather and the lush greenery, and start your way back in the afternoon. There is a small temple at the top of the peak which is visited by a lot of tourists and locals in the area. It is a small wooden temple called the Hatu temple. According to local belief, the famous Hatu Mata temple is the temple of Maa Kaali. People come in great numbers on the first Sunday of Jyeshtha. You will also see an ancient stove like the formation of rocks nearby the temple. Legend says that this stove was used by the Pandavas brothers to cook their food during their Agyaat Vaas which makes it more visited by the Hindu devotees.
- Skiing in Narkanda: Narkanda is one of the oldest Skiing destinations in India. It is still lesser known than other skiing spots in India and waiting to be explored by adventure seekers. It is a very nice place to enjoy solitude in the hills and to enjoy the landscape, especially during the winter when the place is covered in snow and you get a chance to ski. It is located at an altitude of 8100 ft, the steep slopes in Narkanda are considered perfect for the skills of beginners as well as experienced skiers. Hatu Peak as described above near Narkanda towering at 2000 ft is one of the popular ski slopes in the entire area and nearby. It is easier to reach Narkanda from the plain areas nearby and metro cities than other high-altitude skiing spots in India and it is still unexplored which makes it more thrilling and for you to enjoy your time at the most in this hill town.
- Stokes Farm: A guided tour to Stokes Farm is available. This farm is located at a distance of around 14 km from Narkanda in a small village called Thanedar. You will be smitten by the beauty of this place as soon as you arrive here. Stokes farm accounts for a fair number of apples produced in Himachal Pradesh and is a sight to behold. You will see the apple orchards located in lush greenery and mountains all around. Walking amidst these apple orchards is one of the unique experiences this town has to offer, and it should not be missed. Satyanand Stokes started the cultivation of apples in the region which has led to the upliftment of the economic condition of the entire area. These farms in addition to the cultivation of apple in the area have also given employment to a lot of locals in the area. These enthralling farms are named after the man himself and are known for delighting the tourists with the beauty of apples growing in lush greenery.
- Tannu Jubbar Lake: Tannu Jubbar lake is quite a picnic spot in the area. This lake is surrounded by lush greenery which makes it more attractive to the people visiting the place. You can go for a walk with your loved ones around the lake and you can go for a picnic in this beautiful place with your friends and family. Tannu Jubbar lake is one of the most visited places in Narkanda and should not be missed if you are here. You can also enjoy boating in this lake with your friend and family. The lake is located around Naag Devta temple which is a shrine dedicated to the God of Snakes. The dramatic foliage encircling the lake enables an abundance of opportunities for nature photographers and peace-seekers.
- Jau-Baug: Jau Baug has beautiful meadows and is a sight to behold. You should not miss visiting Jau Baug if you are in Narkanda. It is located at a distance of around 10 km from the main town. The place is only open from 6 AM to 6 PM on all days. This is the best place where you can go for a walk with your friends, family, and loved ones and stay for the day to enjoy the lush beauty and to calm your nerves away from the city crowd and the chaotic life. It is an ideal place for nature lovers and nature photographers as you this place is like a wallpaper you can capture in your camera and behold as your memory.
- Kacheri and Mahamaya Temple: Kacheri is a small place located around 7 to 10 km from Narkanda and it owes its popularity to the age-old Mahamaya temple which attracts thousands of devotees every year. The temple is located at a beautiful scenic location and is covered by dense pine and deodar trees. You will also see the deodar trees in the panoramic view. Kacheri is quite an unspoiled hamlet and is not visited by many tourists so far. It indeed is a very good idea to plan your vacation at Kacheri soon. It is just 500 meters walk from Oddi and is also an ideal location for hiking and picnic. You will see a few people sitting and enjoying their time in the area. This place also encompasses Mahamaya temple which stands among the top places to visit in Narkanda and is highly worshipped by the devotees of Goddess Kali.
How to Reach Narkanda?
Narkanda is a well-connected hill station and is well connected via train, flight, and by road. Although since it is a hill station, you will need to cover some distance by road. You can choose from air travel, trains, buses, or taxis based on your budget and convenience. Arrive at this beautiful and heavenly abode to calm your senses and heals your mind, body, and soul. Different ways to travel for you to choose from are mentioned below:
- Reaching Narkanda by Flight: The nearest airport to reach Narkanda in Shimla and is 60 kilometers from Shimla. You can take a direct flight from Delhi or Chandigarh to reach Shimla. You can also take a flight to Chandigarh and reach Narkanda by bus or a private Taxi. The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla and Narkanda is very good and will take around 4-5 hours to reach Shimla. If you are coming from Delhi and do not have a lot of time to spare traveling via bus or train, you can take a flight till Shimla and cover the rest of the distance by road.
- Reaching Narkanda by Train: The nearest railway station to Narkanda is Kalka. Although if you have time, you can reach Kalka by train from your respective place and take a toy train from Kalka to Shimla and then a taxi from Shimla to Narkanda. This will be a little tricky as you will need to change many modes of conveyances to reach Narkanda but it is the most scenic route to reach here. From Shimla, you can take a taxi to reach Narkanda or you can also take a bus from the new bus stand in Shimla.
- Reaching Narkanda by Road: If you do not stay very far from Narkanda and put up at Delhi, Chandigarh or Shimla and the nearby cities, the best option for you to reach Narkanda is to take a taxi or drive your car if you a driver trained to drive on the hilly terrain. Or you can take a bus to Narkanda from these nearby cities. The best option is to take an overnight bus from ISBT New Delhi to reach Shimla or you can take a bus from Chandigarh to reach Shimla. The bus takes 4-5 hours to reach Shimla from Chandigarh. You can take a taxi from ISBT Shimla to reach Narkanda. You can choose your mode of conveyance based on our ease and pocket.
Best Time to Visit Narkanda
Narkanda like Mashobra is considered to be among the lower Himalayas. Although like Shimla, Narkanda is also located on a hilltop. This makes the chances for you to see and experience snowfall more at this place.
April to June is considered to be the best time to visit Narkanda. However, with a cool and pleasant climate all-round the year Narkanda is visited by tourists at all times of the year. Winters are very chilly in Narkanda. This is when everything around will be painted white and it is the most beautiful time of the year. As the summer starts, when the snow starts to melt, you will start seeing the greenery and flowers all around which makes the place look like heaven. The weather is pleasant in summers and is considered the ideal time to spend in the lap of the Himalayas.
There is a huge rush of tourists in Narkanda from March to May and the temperature is pleasant compared to other parts of the country where it is brazenly hot. Every weather has its charm and some new thing and scenery in the hills at Narkanda. You can decide when you want to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city and want to stay and rejuvenate your cluttered mind in the lap of the Himalayas.
Where To Stay When In Narkanda?
Narkanda is majorly a residential area but it is famous because of its height and the early snowfall. It is filled with tourists around the year and people specially come here to see the first snowfall of the season since Narkanda is easily accessible from the nearby metro cities. People do not miss out on the opportunity to explore some famous sightseeing sites in the area. There are many resorts near Narkanda that are located very close to the city but some unexplored. Most of the places are quite famous, while others are still comparatively new and unexplored. Some of the famous places to stay and enjoy your holiday at Narkanda are Tethys Ski Resort, The Wilderness resort which is located amidst the lush green hills with nothing but beautiful views around you. Other is the Hilltop resort, De Exotica Crest Resorts and Spa, The Northern retreat, and resorts. A franchise of the famous V resorts is also located here. You will get many options for homestays also which are quite popular here. You can choose a place based on your budget and stay amid nature and enjoy your time at this heaven.
What To Eat When In Narkanda?
There are many places to eat in Narkanda and several cafes serving amazing food. Although the most commonly found food joints and most sought-after cuisine is the north Indian cuisine in the area. You can also enjoy the traditional and local Himachali food famous in Narkanda. Some of the famous food items are Siddu which is a classic wheat bun. It is steamed and also has a filling made of potatoes, lentils, and sesame seeds inside it. Other famous dishes you can eat in Narkanda are Pakaian, Bathu Kheer, Khooru, Chaa Gosht if you are a non-vegetarian. Make sure when you go to this piece of heaven you do not miss enjoying your meals amid the majestic mountains.