11 Main Attractions Of Coorg That One Must Not Miss in the Scotland of India (2021)
Coorg, officially named as Kodagu, is an administration District edged in the laps of Karnataka, a South West Indian state. With an area of 4,102 square kilometres, it is situated on the fascinating Western Ghats. Many railway stations and airports are located near it, making the place easily accessible to tourists. Set amidst the serene climate of beauteous hills and valleys, Coorg is the finest getaway from the daily, hard-pressed life. Madikeri, the capital of Coorg, is also known as the Kashmir of the South and the Scotland of India. Hence, there are many best places to explore in Coorg.
11 Main Attractions Of Coorg That One Must Not Miss in the Scotland of India
Indulge in the scenic beauty and the charisma of Coorg, as it is a place with fascinating places and rich history, which makes it eminent amongst the tourists. The orangish glow of the sunsets with the blue hills makes it a major hill station with a large number of attractive places. Tourists from all over the world come to enjoy their vacations and bask in the glory of nature. The best places to explore in Coorg(The Scotland of India) are as follows:
1. Abbey Falls: Located at a distance of 1 km from Madikeri, this stupendous and enchanting waterfall originates from a height of 70 feet. The breathtaking view of the Kaveri river cascading through the falls is peerless. The waterfall also has a hanging bridge formed across a gorge situated in the middle of spice estates and coffee plantations. Abbey waterfall was known as the Jesse Falls in the olden days, and the sound of its splashing water fastens your heartbeat and entices you to visit the place. This splashing against rocks and water sprinkling on your face is an awe-inspiring view leaving you enthralled with nature’s beauty.
2. Dubare Elephant Camp: One of the best places for the wildlife fanatics, Dubare Elephant camp, is situated on the banks of River Kaveri, in Coorg. The place allows tourists to come close to elephants and learn about their lifestyle. Not only being in close proximity to elephants, but the place also provides rejuvenating vibes, with wondrous views of the lush verdancy and serene climate. The 3-hour elephant interaction facilitates the interaction of the tourist with the elephants where they can bathe the elephants for 45 minutes and feed them jaggery and all or go on elephant rides for 45 minutes.
3. Chiklihole Reservoir: Chiklihole Reservoir, is a place away from the hustle-bustle and noises of the people, and provides seclusion and privacy to its guests as well. Located at a distance of 15 km from Kushalnagar and Madikeri, Chiklihole Reservoir is nearest to the town of Nanjarayapattana. It is situated on one of the tributaries of the Kaveri river and offers good vibes due to the presence of lush greenery and a wide variety of flora and fauna as well. The orangish glow of the sunset, with its breathtaking charm, makes this place a haven for nature enthusiasts.
4. Madikeri Fort: Madikeri Fort owes its royal importance to the pages of history. Located in the hill station of Madikeri, the fort tells us about the victories and defeats of the 17th century at the reign of Muddu Raja. The architectural significance of the place is that it was rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan after being made in mud. Being a unique example of the Gothic style, the fort offers mysterious vibes as well due to the presence of various paths. Being the finest place for the history aficionados, the place exhibits various historical artefacts and weapons as well.
5. Tadiandamole: Located close to Kakkabe town, Tadiandamole is the highest peak in Kakkabe town, which gives you panoramic views of the district of Coorg (The Scotland of India). It is located above 1748 metres of sea level and will make adrenaline rushing in you due to the many adventurous and hair-raising activities. Trekking is one of the activities practiced here, which helps you to discover the bewitching beauty of the place. Nalaknand palace, at its foothills, makes it more eminent to be visited when in Coorg.
6. Harangi Dam: This spellbinding place for all the nature lovers is situated in Hudgur village near Kushalnagar. Being the first place to be developed on the tributary of the river Cauvery, it has a height of 47 metres and a length of 846 metes. It shows spectacular views of the forceful streams of water. It is a perfect place to escape from the frenetic life and to rejuvenate yourself in the laps of nature. The serene atmosphere provides relaxation to the mind as well. There is a Cauvery temple located near the dam, which makes the place suitable to be visited by the religious tourists to Coorg as well.
7. Omkareswara Temple: Constructed in 1820 by Linga Rajendra, Omkareswara temple is an eminent Siva temple in Madikeri, the capital city of Coorg. Situated at a distance of a km from Madikeri, Omkareswara temple has a whisk of the Islamic and Gothic style of architecture with four minarets around and a dome in the center of the temple. A pool circumscribes the front of the temple. Regular rituals were performed in this temple.
8. Mallalli Falls: Being one of the finest places in Coorg to spend some time, Mallalli Falls is located at the foot of Pushpagiri Hill Ranges. It is situated in Bettadahalli Gram Panchayat of Somwarpet in the district of Coorg. Mallalli Falls has a height of approximately 200 feet and is created when River Kumaradhara cascades down from the peak of Pushpagiri Peak. Trekking is prominent in these falls, and the trekkers enjoy their utmost while trekking and seeing the nearby views. The presence of leeches makes you cautious while trekking. In monsoons, the lush and luxuriant greenery and the heavy flow makes an alluring and beguiling scene.
9. Mandalpatti Trek: Located at a distance of 4 km from the Abbey falls, Mandalpatti trek offers breathtaking views of nature, which will entice you towards nature. It is also at a distance of 25 to 30 km from Madikeri. One of the finest places for the adventure fanatics and the trek lovers, Mandalpatti trek, also proffers the seclusion and privacy of its guests. The tranquillity of the place would let you indulge in the beauty of nature away from the hectic, hard-pressed life. The entrance tickets are available for trekking at the base of the place. Offering rich flora fauna with picturesque views, the scenic view from the top would leave you startled and enthralled!
10. Raja’s Seat: Hailing with a meaning ‘the seat of the kings,’ this place was the favorite place of the kings of Coorg since it offers hair raising views of the valleys around and provides a way to rejuvenate yourselves. This stupendous place will beguile and enthrall you with its charisma and its prepossessing nature. The finest view seen from this place is the sunset view, during which the orangish-yellow tinge of the sun falls on the green verdancy, making it a heavenly and ethereal view which must not be missed by the tourists at any cost. The splashing of the mild breeze on your face during the morning and evening walks are a must. The serenity and the lush greenery of the place make this park ravishing!
11. Dargah Sharif of Yemmemadu: The sacred shrines of Dargah Sharif of Yemmemadu is situated in Yemmemadu near Napoklu in the Coorg district. People with Islamic faith visit this Dargah in Coorg. The holy tomb of the Dargah is built in the memory of Hazrath Sufi Shaheed and Sayyed Hassan Sakaf Halramir. “Urs,” an annual 8-day festival in which, a large gathering of Muslims arrives to proffer their prayers and seek forgiveness for their heinous acts from the Sufi saints. The number of people reaches 2 to 3 lakhs, and food is also served to the devotees on the last day of Urs. Females are not allowed to enter the Dargah, though special arrangements have been made for them to proffer their prayers. Reaching the Dargah is quite easy, and the Dargah is a symbol of religion and faith in the Almighty.
This enchantingly beautiful place with huge historical significance and the misty mountains, glowing sunsets, religious temples, mosques and dargahs, sparkling blue cascading waterfalls will help you forget your hustle! Its picturesque and vibrant scenery, tea and spice plantations, dense frondescence of the tropical forests, and a variety of flora and fauna make it a paradise for nature enthusiasts. The trekking facility is prominent in the area, which makes it suitable for the adventure aficionados as well. Fasten your seat belts, and choose the best places to explore in Coorg from the above list of places.