Visit Shivanasamudra Falls- The Perfect Weekend Getaway Spot in Mandya, Karnataka (2021)
In the Mandya district of Karnataka lies the beautiful Shivanasamudra falls. It is one of the very first hydro-electric power stations set up in the year 1902. The Shivanasamudra falls along the Kaveri River, and this divides the town of Shivanasamudra into two. There is a common misconception that the left part is Gaganachukki and the right one is Bharachukki. But in reality, the Bharachukki falls lies on the south-west of the Gaganachukki falls. According to many travelogues, it is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Karnataka. Among the many tourist places in Karnataka, this is one.
About Shivanasamudra Falls
Karnataka is known for its exotic locations, and yet another such place is Shivanasamudra. The main attraction of Shivanasamudra is the Shivanasamudra falls. It is a segmented waterfall with a 98m height and 305m width. A range of temples is located here, such as the Sri Someshwara temple and the Sri Ranganathaswamy temple. The hydro-electrical power station located at the waterfall is the second hydro-electric power station of India and was commissioned by Sir K. Seshadri Iyer, the Diwan of Mysore.
When is the Best Time to Shivanasamudra Falls?
The best time to visit Shivanasamudra is in the monsoon season between July and October. A one-day trip is very much fun here. There are multiple resorts and stays present around Shivanasamudra. It is a calm and serene island by the waterfall.
How to Reach Shivanasamudra?
Reaching Shivanasamudra is not that difficult. The nearest major city to Shivanasamudra is Bangalore, which is 139Kms away. Mandya city to Shivanasamudra is 57.5 Kms. Shivanasamudra to Mysore distance is 76 kms.
- By road: Buses are readily available till Kollegela, which is situated 15 km away from Shivanasamudra. Plenty of KSRTC and private buses are available from Bangalore, Mysore, and other nearby cities to Kollegela. You can take a cab from there and easily reach Shivanasamudra.
- By train: The railway station nearest to Shivanasamudra is Mysore Railway station, which is well-connected to India’s other towns and cities. The railway station lies 77 km away from Shivanasamudra. Tourists can take a cab and reach Shivanasamudra.
- By air: The nearest international airport to Shivanasamudra is Bangalore International Airport, which is almost 170 km away. It makes it easy for tourists all over the world to visit Shivanasamudra.
Places to Visit in Shivanasamudra
There are a few places to visit in Shivanasamudra, which you can check out.
- The Cauvery River: The Cauvery River bifurcated and formed the Shivanasamudra and Srirangapatnam. These two islands are 80 Kms away from each other. You can come across the river for sightseeing anytime.
- Barachukki and Gaganachukki fall: The two different parts of the Shivanasamudra falls are Barachukki, and Gaganachukki falls. When visiting Shivanasamudra, you should come across and have a view of these two waterfalls. The Barachukki has a narrow staircase carved along the mountains. The Gaganachukki Waterfalls has a watchtower and an old dargah. Travelers say that it is one of the must-visit places in Shivanasamudra.
- Talakad Temples: There is a range of ancient temples in Shivanasamudra. These temples were created in the Chola and Chalukyan architecture. Most of the temples present here are dedicated to Lord Shiva. Some of the Talakad temples are Pathaleshwara temple, Vaidyanatheshwara temple, Maruleshwara temple, Arkeshwara temple, etc.
- Shimshapura Falls: The Shimshapura Falls is located in the Shimshapura village. You should visit this place.
Getaways from Shivanasamudra
- Bandipur: To have an encounter with the wild, you can go for a short trip to Bandipur. Shivanasamudra to Bandipore Tiger Reserve Distanceis 105 Kms.
- Coorg: Coorg, known as the Scotland of India, is not very far from Shivanasamudra. It is a dreamland, surrounded by coffee plantations all around. You can make a short trip to Coorg when in and around Shivanasamudra. Shivanasamudra to Coorg Distance I 190 Kms.
- Cauvery Fishing Camp: For all the fishing enthusiasts out there, Cauvery Fishing Camp is perfect. It is a remote and calm place accompanied by great weather. When visiting Shivanasamudra, you can add this place to your list. It is an excellent spot for both families and couples. Shivanasamudra to cauvery fishing camp Distance is 72 Kms.
- Biligiri Rangana Hills: Biligiri Rangana Hills or BR Hills is a hill range lying on the Eastern side of the Western Ghats. It is a place where both the Eastern and the Western Ghats meet. For a peaceful holiday, this is undoubtedly a great spot. There’s a temple located at the extreme top of the hill, a temple dedicated to Lord Ranganatha, which makes this place famous. Shivanasamudra to Biligiri Rangana Hills Distance is 53 Kms.
It is difficult to continue our tedious routine day after day. We all need a break away from the clamor in the city and be amidst nature.
Shivanasamudra is the place where you should be. It is remote, peaceful, and affordable. The transportation is not so complicated, and you can go there anytime you want. The serenity of the Cauvery belt and the beauty of the falls is bound to mesmerize you. It is even better if you visit the place during Monsoon. So without much thought, book your tickets and visit Shivanasamudra.