Visit Murudeshwar: The Land Of Lord Shiva in Bhatkal, Karnataka (2021)
For the devotees of Lord Shiva, if you have not visited Murudeshwar, which is an amazing place to visit in Karnataka, then it is high time you do it as soon as possible! We all know how South India is home to the gods and goddess of Hinduism and houses more than a thousand temples.
However, if in this vacation you want to feel a bit closer to the presence of Lord Shiva, then you must visit the land which is looked over by Lord Shiva, in a literal sense! Want to find out more about Murudeshwar? Then read on to know more.
Murudeshwar: The Land of Lord Shiva in Bhatkal, Karnataka
Located in the Bhatkal Taluka of Uttara Kannada district, Murudeshwara, one of the most prominent tourist places in Karnataka, has a very vital role to play in the Ramayana. This is a place that has a long history related to Lord Shiva and Ravana. To achieve the Atma-Linga or the Soul of Shiva (a linga which was the source of immortality and invincibility), Ravana was said to be in deep meditation, appealing to Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva, moved by his prayers, granted him the power with the condition that it should not touch the ground. Knowing the kind of chaos it could create on Earth; Lord Vishnu sent Lord Ganesha in the disguise of a Brahmin to trick Ravana into placing the Atma-Linga on the ground, in which he was successful. Angered, Ravana tried to uproot the Linga but instead broke some pieces of it, which then landed into five different spots (Panch Kshetras). However, the cloth (Mridesha or Aghora) that covered the Linga, landed atop the Kanduka Hill, and thus Murudeshwara was named.
How To Get To Murudeshwar?
Murudeshwar is a very well-connected city and thus can be reached via various routes. Let us take a look!
- Road: You can easily find buses from Bangalore, which is about 500 km away, to Honnavar, which is about 20 km away from Murudeshwar. From Honnavar, you may hire a private cab or taxi and reach Murudeshwar.
- Train: Though having its own railway station, it is not very well connected with the other major cities. Also, only a few trains from Mumbai or Mangalore stop here. Therefore, your other option remains the Mangalore Junction Railway Station which is situated around 158 km from Murudeshwar. From there, you may hire a taxi or cab directly to Murudeshwar.
- Flight: For all domestic and international flights, your option for an airport is the Mangalore International Airport, which sits around 153 km from Murudeshwar. Again, from there, you may take a taxi and drive at Murudeshwar.
When To Visit Murudeshwar?
Of the typical South Indian weather, Murudeshwar experiences hot and humid weather and thus should be visited in the Winters for the best experience.
For the best pilgrimage experience, you are advised to come around February-March as Murudeshwar celebrates Maha Shivratri with great enthusiasm.
For scuba-diving, the best time to visit would be from November to January. Do inquire before arriving as the activity may be closed due to various reasons.
The months of June through September should be avoided due to the heavy rains that the place receives.
Thus, the best time to visit Murudeshwar would be through the months of October to May.
Tourist Attractions Nearby Murudeshwar
Murudeshwara has several beautiful and exciting places to offer which you can visit. We have short-listed some of the famous places here for you. Take a look!
Murudeshwara Temple: Situated on the Kanduka Hill and surrounded on three sides by the Arabian Sea, this temple was dedicated to Lord Shiva. But the main attraction here is the colossal statue of Lord Shiva, which is the second-largest in the world. From on top of the temple’s entrance or ‘gopura’, you can enjoy the fantastic view of the statue. Also, the temple offers you one of the most detailed carvings and craftsmanship.
Statue Park: Another one of the places to visit in Murudeshwar is Statue Park. Surrounding the famous second largest Shiva statue, this little park offers you the scenic view of the Arabian Sea that you enjoy amid the beautiful flowers, ponds, and artificial waterfalls.
Bhatkal Beach: If you are visiting Murudeshwar, then you must absolutely go down on the Bhatkal beach at least once. The pristine waters, the beautiful view of the Arabian Sea, the vast sea-shore, and the lovely coconut trees are an absolute treat to the eyes and the soul. A perfect spot to take a stroll down in the evening, the Bhatkal beach is a magnificent spot that you must visit.
Netrani Island: Among the must-visit places in Murudeshwar is Netrani Island. About 10 miles away on a boat ride from Murudeshwar, the Netrani Island or the Pigeon Island appears heart-shaped when viewed from above. However, this small, uninhabited island is famous for something else. For all the adventure-hearts out there, Netrani Island is considered one of the best spots for scuba diving. Therefore, if you want to experience the calm and diverse underwater life of the Arabian, come and dive into the cool, blue waters of Netrani Island.
Where To Stay While In Murudeshwar?
Murudeshwar, being a prime tourist spot, offers a lot of great hotels and accommodation for a comfortable stay. Here are a few accommodations you can consider.
- The Royal Oak Hotel: Situated in Bhatkal, this hotel has fantastic air-conditioned rooms to offer with the best services. With excellent ratings, a good restaurant, and fantastic staff, this hotel is a good choice for a stay while at Murudeshwar.
- R.S Homestay: For those who want to experience a homely little setting while on vacation, this homestay is a perfect option for them. Having a balcony, three bedrooms, two bathrooms (equipped with a shower), and a kitchen and dining space, this homestay is perfect for a family.
- RNS Residency Sea View: If you are more of a resort person, then this would be the ideal option for you. Providing a restaurant, a pool, a fitness center, and much more, this hotel is perfect for a luxurious stay.
Murudeshwar is a prime tourist spot that you can visit to refresh your daily life. Be it your devotion to Lord Shiva or your thrill-seeking heart, Murudeshwar is a place you can visit whenever you feel like taking a break. Therefore, the next time you plan a trip, come to Murudeshwar.