Top 3 Palaces To Visit In Bikaner (2023)
Part of the land of brave warriors, kings, rich history, mighty forts, and grand palaces, Bikaner is rightly regarded as one of the top tourist places to visit in Rajasthan. Being a home to a series of interesting sightseeing attractions which range from glorious forts to grand palaces to ancient temples to serene lake to renowned wildlife sanctuaries, this beautiful city has something or the other for every kind of traveller, irrespective of their interests. It is probably due to this very fact that travellers from all over the country consider Bikaner as a cultural paradise. As if the exciting sightseeing attractions of Bikaner weren’t enough, the natural beauty and the ravishing landscapes make up for it. Moreover, since the place is easily accessible by multiple means of transports including airways, railways and roadways, it is not hard to guess why Bikaner grabs a favourite spot in the hearts of many travellers. If this beautiful historic city has left you intrigued as well, then you have arrived at the right place. Continue reading to know more!
Best Time To Visit Bikaner, Rajasthan
When it comes to the Bikaner city, there is actually no bad time to visit this beautiful city located in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Though like the rest of the state, this city also experiences an unexceptionally hot and dry summer season, but the winter season brings along a big relief to both, the locals as well as travellers. The rich history and ethnic culture of the city is such that many travellers don’t seem to mind even the scorching heat and warm winds. But if you are someone who wishes to have only the best experience, then the best time to visit Bikaner for you will be somewhere in the winter months. The Bikaner city experiences the onset of winter season from the month of October and it lasts till March. The weather during this period is quite pleasant and perfect for sightseeing activities.
Top 3 Palaces to Visit in Bikaner, Rajasthan
If you are someone who is interested in history, culture and wish to explore the grandeur and architectural brilliance of the bygone era, then there is no better place to begin your sightseeing experience than in the lanes of the city of Bikaner. Though there is a wide range of sightseeing attractions, but when it comes to majestic royal palaces, there are actually some really beautiful palaces to visit in Bikaner. Some of them are as follows:
1. Laxmi Niwas Palace
Well – known throughout the country for being the former residence of the great Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner, the list of the top palaces to visit in Bikaner is incomplete without mentioning about the lavish Laxmi Niwas Palace. Boasting of being one of the most opulent and grand palaces of the city, this palace has now been converted into one of the biggest luxury heritage hotels of Bikaner and is run by the Golden Triangle Fort & Palace Pvt Ltd.This palace not only speaks of luxury and beauty but also deeply reflects the glory of the bygone era. The best part is that this royal palace which is now an incredible luxury hotel is known to house a wonderful and greatly informative museum within its premises as well. Be it the architectural brilliance, the rich history or the comforts and facilities of the luxury hotel, the Laxmi Niwas Palace often leaves its visitors speechless and impressed with their world – class hospitality. Image Source:
- History: The Laxmi Niwas Palace was commissioned by His Highness, Sir Ganga Singh ji long back in the year 1904. It is believed that there were two main purposes behind building this grand palace which were to provide employment to the people of the town and also to create a stately residence which was worthy enough to serve as the residence of the royal family of Bikaner. According to the rumours, it is said that His Highness was a man of impeccable taste and himself supervised the artists, builders and masons during the construction of the palace.
- Architecture: It is said that the palace was built in between the years 1898 and 1904 by Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob, who was one of the renowned British architects of that time. Sporting an extraordinarily stunning Indo – Saracenic style of architecture, the Laxmi Niwas Palace is an astounding structure built up of red sandstone. Owing to the great eye for beauty of the great Maharaja, the palace has several beautiful features including geometrically perfect symmetry of the palace outlay, the latticed screens, the ornate filigree work and so on. The palace architecture has known to left a deep impression on many great architecture lovers.
- Highlights: When it comes to Laxmi Niwas Palace, almost anything and everything about this majestic palace seems to be a highlight and an attractive feature. The museum located within the palace premises is undoubtedly an exclusive feature which is often visited by a plenty of history buffs as it is the perfect place to know the great history which this place enveloped within its walls. Decked up with a series of stunning hand – painted friezes and elegant gold – laden walls, the interiors of this lavish palace are worth the admiration and appreciation.
- Laxmi Niwas Palace Luxury Hotel: Once serving as a residence for the former Maharaja of Bikaner, the Laxmi Niwas Palace now boasts of being a 5 – star luxury hotel. This heritage hotel houses a total of 58 elegant and spacious rooms. Apart from stunning interiors and classy décor, the palace provides a series of top – class in room amenities as well including television, room service, free Wi-Fi and so on. The hotel also has a grand banquet hall, a huge library for avid readers, an outdoor swimming pool, sauna, gym and a conference room. Staying here is a golden experience.
- Location: Lal Garh Campus, Dr. Karni Singhji Road, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajastahn 334001
2. Lalgarh Palace
If it is a pending wish in your bucket list to spend a while in a majestic royal palace while being pampered just like a royalty, then this grand palace should be the place where you should be staying in Bikaner. You will be pleased to know that this palace is not just an architectural marvel but also is one of the top luxury heritage hotels of Bikaner.
Apart from its extravagant exterior, elegant interior décor and range of modern facilities, another thing which attracts a plenty of travellers from far and away to this palace is the museum located inside the palace premises. This museum boasts of housing a series of interesting thing which can help you know a lot about the glorious past of the bygone era. All the avid readers will be pleased to know that the majestic Lalgarh palace also houses a huge library that incorporated a large collection of Sanskrit manuscripts which were printed on parchments, plaques of copper, silver and gold. This palace is in every sense one of the best palaces to visit in Bikaner.
- History: The great Lalgarh Palace was commissioned by the great Maharaja, Ganga Singh and was built in between the years 1902 and 1926. It is said that he built this majestic palace in the memory of Maharaja Lal Singh, who was his father. Despite being converted into a luxury hotel, the place still manages to retain the true traditional and cultural spirit of Rajasthan.
- Architecture: Built up with elegant red sandstone, there is an exclusive charm in the exterior of the palace. As far as the architectural style of the palace is concerned, the Lalgarh Palace sports a perfect blend of Rajput, European and Mughal style of architecture which makes it all the more appealing and fascinating. The extravagant Rajputana design along with the classy interior décor go perfectly well together.
- Highlights: Though everything about this palace is appealing but when it comes to the attractive features of the Lalgarh Palace, then it will probably be the two museums which are located within its premises.
- Sadul Museum: This museum showcases the heads of various animals as well as a vast collection of trophies of the mighty rulers of Bikaner. Visitors also get to explore plenty of photographs and personal artefacts of the different rulers who once ruled the city of Bikaner. This museum is located on the first floor of the Lalgarh palace. It is open from 10 AM till 5.30 PM on all days of the week except Sunday. There is a small entry fee of Rs. 10 for Indian citizens and Rs. 20 for foreign travellers.
- Ganga Golden Jubilee Museum: This museum displays a vast collection of the historical remains. Some of the things you can witness here include large oil paintings of the German artis Mueller, coin collection, remains of Pre – Harappan civilization and sculptures belonging to various dynasties. It is open from 10 AM till 5 PM on all days of the week except Friday. The approximate entry fee for this museum is Rs. 5.
- Lalgarh Palace Hotel: Recently converted into a luxury heritage hotel, the Lalgarh Palace hotel is owned and run by Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji Charitable Trust. It is a great hotel which allows one to experience the charm of history along with the comfort of modern equipment.
- Location: NH 15, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
3. Junagarh Palace:
When you are talking about the top tourist places to visit in Bikaner, then you can possibly not miss out on mentioning about the great Junagarh Palace. The thing which makes this historic fort different is that, till date this fort stands tall and proudly for the fact that it remains undefeated and unconquered. Comprising of plenty of wonderful structures within its premises, there is a lot to explore within the Junagarh Fort. There are many temples and palaces inside the fort which catch the attention of a plenty of travellers. Apart from these attractive structures, the soaring architectural beauty and the picturesque natural beauty of the surrounding area further acts as a cherry on the cake. Hence, it is not surprising to know why this place is so popular among history buffs, architecture lovers and photographers.
- History: This mighty fort was built long back in history in the year 1593 by the great Raja Rai Singh. Another thing worth adding to the glorious past of this great fort is that despite being built over many years back, this fort proudly boasts of remaining undefeated and unconquered by anyone.
- Architecture: The Junagarh fort sports a beautiful amalgamation of Mughal, Rajput and Gujarati style of architecture which adds a unique touch to the fort. The grand complex of the fort comprises of many structures including temples, palaces, delicately done galleries, huge lawns and so on. Out of the many structures inside the fort, the Zenana quarters or the Women Palace draws most appreciation for its display of impeccable designs glorifying the creative skills of that time.
- Highlights: The Karan Mahal, Chandra Mahal, Phool Mahal and Anup Mahal draw the most attention. These palaces display an exceptional work in terms of architecture and natural beauty. The fort museum located inside the premises is also a highlight. It displays some of the royal jewels, costumes, beautiful paintings of the royal family, arms, ammunitions. There is also a library that houses a huge collection of Persian and Sanskrit manuscripts.
- Location: Junagarh Fort Rd, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001
- Timings: The fort is open on all days of the week from 10 AM till 4.30 PM. On an average, it takes a visitor about 2 to 3 hours to completely explore the place.
- Entry Fee: The approximate entry fee for Indian citizens is Rs. 30, while foreign travellers have to pay Rs. 150 for visiting.
Time and again, Bikaner has proved its worth and has successfully managed to capture the heart of its visitors with its extraordinary charm.