Hussain Sagar Lake, Hyderabad (2023)
Hussain Sagar Lake: Most Popular Tourist Place in Hyderabad
Commissioned by Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah in the year 1563, today this magnificent lake, Hussain Sagar, is considered as one of the most popular tourist places in Hyderabad. Renowned for being the largest artificial lake in the entire continent of Asia, the lake is also well known for its monolith of Lord Buddha that stands right in its centre. Another thing which makes this place even more attractive is the fact that the Lord Buddha monolith that lies here is the tallest structure of its kind in the whole world. This statue was installed in the year 1992 and was inaugurated by His Holiness Dalai Lama himself.
Lying on a tributary of River Musi, the attraction is also known to have a 3 km long dam wall that connects the twin cities of Secunderabad and Hyderabad. It is even bordered by Indira Park, Sanjeevaiah Park, and Lumbini Park on 3 sides and is actually a pretty relaxing as well as a calming getaway from the mundane city life. As you stand at the Tank bund, you can witness the mesmerising site of the entire lake shimmering around you. With the lights sparkling on the shore and the waters of the lake shimmering, the site is so mesmerising that even the road is named as the ‘Necklace Road’. Some of you, who are going to this vacation with your special someone would be pleased to know that the Hussain Sagar Lake has a unique heart – shaped outline and due to this rare fact, the place has been declared as the ‘Heart of the World’ by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO). Want to know more about this beautiful tourist place in Hyderabad? If yes, then continue reading!
History of Hussain Sagar Lake:
Built in the 16th century by Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah in the appreciation of Hussain Shah Wali who is believed to have been the driving force behind the unique heart shaped outline of the lake. Constructed on a tributary of Musi river, the water in this lake is perennially fed by canals from the Musi river. Before the Himayat Sagar and the Osman Sagar were built on river Musi, Hussain Sagar lake was the main source of water supply to the inhabitants of Hyderabad. Today, this spot is one of the most popular tourist places in Hyderabad that attracts travellers from all over the world.
Best Time To Visit Hussain Sagar Lake:
Visiting Hussain Sagar Lake between the months June and February, is undoubtedly the best time. You can visit the lake anytime but it is best if you avoid going in afternoon hours as the scorching heat can spoil your overall experience. If you decide to go in morning hours, you will find many joggers and people with dogs out on a walk. The weather is nice too. You can even go during evening time as the weather is pretty good for a stroll and you even get the golden chance to see the amazing laser show which is conducted only in evening. If you are a nature admirer or lover of sunset views, then the best time for you to visit the place would be between 5 PM to 7 PM as it is in this duration that you can actually see the colour of the sky change at the horizon as the sun begins to set. Taking boat rides during evening is also recommended if you want the best experience.
Activities to Enjoy at Hussain Sagar Lake:
There are many fun things you can do here. Some of the them are:
- Boating: One can find a number of boats to choose from such as mechanised boats to ferries to peddled boats to speed boats. You can choose one depending upon your mood. Visitors are also provided with a life jacket before the ride begins to ensure safety. The best advantage of taking a boat ride other than enjoying the view is that you also get a glimpse of the gigantic Buddha statue upfront and close. The fees for boating vary depending upon the type of boat you choose. The general approximated prices are:
- Mechanised boat- Rs. 55 per adult person
- Jet Ski Boat- Rs. 250 per person and Rs. 300 per couple
- Rajahamsa Boat (need to have 5 people at least)- Rs. 100 per person
- Party at the Bay: If you are a true party animal, then what better place to party than at this mesmerising lake. Situated right above the Eat Street, The Bay provides you the perfect coastal vibes. Offering you amazing drinks, you can party hard at this amazing place. With a pint of beer in one hand, dancing on peppy beats and admiring stunning views, the party mood here is just epic.
- Dine at the Eat Street: This is a paradise for food lovers. Living up to its name, this street boasts of housing several top names such as Pizza Hut, Baskin Robbins, SubWay, McDonald’s, Minerva Coffee Shop and so on. Other than there is a counter for street food also.
Entry Fee: You can visit Hussain Sagar Lake without paying any entry fee. Though there is no entry fee but you still have to pay for each of the activities that you choose to do.
Opening Hours: The Hussain Sagar Lake is open every day from 8 AM to 10 PM.
Also known as the Tank Bund, Hussain Sagar Lake is popular for activities such as fish culture, boat rides and water rides. Despite these fun activities, the monolithic Buddha statue standing proudly at the centre of the lake still tops the list of attractions.