9 Reasons to Visit Sri Lanka & 7 Lesser Known Facts About Sri Lanka (2022)
Located in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is one of those countries that attract thousands of visitors every year from different parts of the globe. Officially known as the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, this island country unravels the best opportunity for you to experience golden beaches, aromatic tea, and misty mountains. The tropical climate coupled with the incredible cuisine here puts this South Asian country in everyone’s bucket list. In this article, you’ll get to know everything that you always wanted to know about Sri Lanka.
These 9 Reasons to Visit Sri Lanka Will Amaze You
Better known as the ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’, Sri Lanka is one of the most preferred destinations for holiday-makers across the globe because of its water sports activities, diverse wildlife, exotic foods, and finally a majestic past. Here are 9 top reasons to visit Sri Lanka at least once in your life.
- Tropical Climate: The tropical climate of Sri Lanka unravels the best opportunity for travelers to experience monsoon and sunny climate at the same time. This happens since the country goes through two different monsoon seasons which affect different parts of the country during different times of the year.
- Distinctive Cuisine: Made with exotic spices, Sri Lanka dishes come with a distinct flavor that will leave you amazed. Whether you love fish or chicken, Sri Lanka will never disappoint you. During your stay here, you should definitely try a few signature dishes such as Kothu and Egg Hoppers.
- Asia’s Wildlife Hotspot: Being home to more than 26 national parks and two marine parks, Sri Lanka presents you with the best opportunity to witness a diverse wildlife. The Yala National Park here features 215 species of birds, mugger crocodiles, and so on. You will find herds of mighty elephants and hawk eagles at the Udawalawe National Park.
- Postcard-perfect Sea Beaches: Sri Lanka takes pride in having some of the most pristine golden beaches that adorn themselves with palm trees. Whether you simply want to enjoy the sea breeze or enjoy turquoise waters, Sri Lanka is definitely the best destination for you.
- Home to The Largest Mammals: Sri Lanka is home to both the elephants (the largest land mammal) and the blue whales (the largest water mammal). You’ll get to enjoy whale sightings at the seas near Kalpitiya. In addition, you can also get to see the spinner dolphins. So, if you are into whale watching, Sri Lanka is the country that you wouldn’t want to miss.
- Gorgeous Landscapes: Adorning itself with nature trails, Sri Lanka is home to plenty of flora and fauna. Whether you want to witness stunning waterfalls or breathtaking vistas, Sri Lanka offers it all. Embellished with paddy fields and misty mountains, Sri Lanka is filled with locations that will always stay in your memories.
- Discover Buddhist Heritage: If you are fond of Buddhist learnings, you just found another reason to visit the island country. This island nation is dotted with ancient Buddhist temples that adorn themselves with spectacular architecture. Some of the temples that you must visit during your stay here include the Temple of Tooth, Ruwanwelisaya, the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi, etc.
- Revisit the Colonial Glory: Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka is popularly known as the Little England and unravels the best opportunity for you to experience colonial architecture. Most of the hotels here are designed in Tudor style and transport you to a bygone era. Make it a point to visit the Horton Plains and the Gregory Lake here.
- Visit the Cultural Triangle: Another reason to visit Sri Lanka includes visiting the famous Cultural Triangle that consists of three cities Kandy, Polonnaruwa, and Anuradhapura. Showcasing early civilization, these cities are the best place to explore ancient relics as well as religious monuments.
7 Lesser Known Facts About Sri Lanka
- Volleyball: The National Sport: Did you always think that the national sport of Sri Lanka is cricket? Well, you are wrong! Even though the Britishers introduced cricket in the country in the 1800s, volleyball continues to be the national sport in the country. It was introduced in 1916.
- Tea: The Largest Export: Did you know tea is the largest export of Sri Lanka? IN fact, this island nation is the fourth largest exporter of tea in the entire globe. Ceylon tea in the country is known for being the cleanest tea in the entire world by the ISO. It comes with the least amount of pesticide residues.
- Origin of Cinnamon: Do you love a cinnamon bun? Many of us do! But, did you know cinnamon is actually from Sri Lanka? This spice was discovered by the Egyptians in the 2000BC. Around 80-90% of the cinnamon available in the entire world comes from this island nation.
- Home to The Oldest Living Tree in the Planet: Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura is believed to be the oldest living tree planted by man. Many believe that this tree has been existing for more than 2000 years now. This tree was born out of a cutting brought from Bodh Gaya in India. And, this is the tree under which Lord Buddha is believed to have found enlightenment.
- Known As Teardrop of India: Did you know Sri Lanka is also known as the Pearl of the Indian Ocean and the Teardrop of India? While the island country has got the first name because of its extraordinary biodiversity, the second name comes from its teardrop shape and location just off the Indian coast.
- Origin of The Word – Serendipity: Ever used serendipity as a word while speaking? Well, serendipity comes from serendip which used to be Sri Lanka’s name. Mostly Arabs and Persians used to call this island country by this name. The word was actually invented by Horace Walpole in 1754. Sri Lanka is called the Land of Serendipity because of its incredible wildfires and spectacular landscapes.
- The Highest Literacy Rate in South Asia: Sri Lanka emphasizes on education and the Sri Lankan Constitution makes education a fundamental right for its citizens. The country is said to have a literacy rate of 92% which is definitely the highest in South Asia.
If you were looking for a reason to put this island country in your bucket list, you will find plenty of those in this article. In addition, you’ll get to know some of the best lesser-known facts about the country as well. Keep this list handy while roaming around in Sri Lanka and interact with the locals on these points.