Aarhus: The Second Largest and Tourist-Friendly Town in Denmark (2020)
Aarhus is located on the east coast of the Jutland peninsula. Aarhus is the second largest town in Denmark. The city is tourist-friendly and has several shopping malls. Most tourists take ½ daybreak for shopping. Most local tourists from Copenhagen; and Hamburg, Germany; visit Aarhus for a few days every summer. Copenhagen is about 200 km from Aarhus and takes 3 hours of driving. Hamburg is about 340 km away from Aarhus and it takes about 4 hours of driving to reach Aarhus. The population of Aarhus is 340,421 and the population of the Jutland metropolitan around Aarhus is 1.4 million.
Following are the places to see when in Aarhus, Denmark:
- Aarhus Cathedral: The cathedral is the longest (305 feet) and tallest (315 feet) church in Denmark. The cathedral construction took several years and completed at the end of the 12th century. The cathedral has a capacity of 1,200 people. Image Source
- Den Gamle: Den Gamle is an open-air museum in Aarhus, Denmark that consists of 75 buildings. The museum was open to the public in 1914. The half-timber structure of the museum was built in the year 1,550. Image Source
- Moesgaard Museum: This museum in Aarhus, Denmark has several medieval archeological exhibits. The medieval exhibit includes the Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, and Viking Age items. The exhibit also includes artwork, painting, and models of Viking age. Some of the exhibits are as old as year 800. Several exhibits are collected from around the world. Image Source
- Botanical Garden: The visit to the Botanical Garden depends on the allowed time during the short visit of Aarhus. The time required to visit all sections of Botanical Garden is anywhere close to 2 to 3 hours. The botanical garden in Aarhus has several hundred families of plants. Tropical plants are kept in a tropical house. The botanical students from different universities of Scandinavia come to Botanical Garden to study the different types of plants and vegetation. Image Source
- Latin Quarter: The Latin Quarter is the oldest part of Aarhus city and a great place for people to come and hang out in the evening. Most locals and European come to Aarhus every year to relax and spend some time with friends and families. One of the attractions is to spend time at a coffee shop or restaurant in the Latin Quarter. The old town has several streets and shops along both sides of the streets. The town is compared with the Latin Quarter of France. The old town is a lively town with music, galleries, and street performances. Most tourists like to spend at least one evening shopping in Latin Quarter, Aarhus and also having dinner at the local restaurant. Image Source