Cambodia Travel Guide: 10 Lesser Known Facts About Cambodia For the Tourists (2021)
Located in Southeast Asia, Cambodia is known for being home to popular tourist attractions such as Mondulkiri, Ratanakiri, Kampot, Phnom Penh city, Angkor Complex, and Banteay Chhmar Temple. As you arrive in Cambodia, you will find cultural influences of different countries such as the United States and France here. Bordered by Thailand to the west and northwest, Laos to the northeast, Vietnam to the east and southeast, Cambodia attracts thousands of visitors from different parts of the globe every year.
Whether you want to witness spectacular archaeological sites or want to experience serenity at the sea beaches, Cambodia is undoubtedly the best spot for you to visit. In this Cambodia Travel Guide, get to know about the climate in Cambodia, languages spoken, lesser known facts of Cambodia and best places to visit.
Climate in Cambodia
Due to the presence of monsoon winds, Cambodia enjoys two weathers, one prevailing from mid-May to October, and another one existing from November to mid-March. The country experiences lower humidity and varying amounts of clouds during November to March. With rare precipitation, the weather during this time remains transitional. The temperature in the country reaches a maximum of 35 degree celsius in the month of April. Most of the annual rainfall happens in between May and October.
Languages and Ethnicities in Cambodia
Majority of the people in Cambodia speak in the Khmer language. You will also find a small number of people speaking in Vietnamese and Chinese. People belonging to the Katu, Mnong, and Stieng tribe speak in Mon-Khmer languages. Hinayana and Mahayana Buddhists here are known for being the most ethnic Khmer. Buddhism enjoyed the reputation of being the state religion in the country till 1975.
10 Lesser Known Facts About Cambodia For the Tourists
- Cambodia or Kampuchea: Did you know Cambodia has changed its name quite frequently. After being declared as the Kingdom of Cambodia in 1953, the country has changed its name five times. With a new rulership coming in, the name of the country has been changed. The country has been known as The Khmer Republic and The Peoples’ Republic of Kampuchea as well. After gaining stability in 1993, the country hasn’t changed its name.
- Average Age of Under 15: The average age of the population in Cambodia is under 15. You will be amazed to know that 60% of the people are younger than thirty. Many believe that the mass decimation of the people of Cambodia under the rulership of the Khmer Rouge is the reason behind the country having a youth population. You can still go and visit the Killing Fields where all these atrocities were committed.
- Home to The Largest Religious Building in The World: Cambodia is also known for being home to Angkor Wat, the largest religious building in the world. Angkor Wat translates to the City of Temples which is literally true because of the Angkor Complex being home to so many temples of historical and religious significance.
- The Unique Flag: Cambodia is known for having a flag that has a building on it. Having Angkor Wat on it, Cambodia’s flag is unique in nature. While different countries across the globe have similar colors or designs on them, Cambodia’s flag has remained independent of popular influences. Image Source
- Birthdays Are Not A Big Deal: While citizens of different countries celebrate their birthdays every year, the people of Cambodia don’t believe in making their birthdays an event. Some people only remember only their birth season so that they can keep a count. But birthday celebration isn’t a thing in the country!
- Expensive Funerals: Cambodia is one of those countries that believe in expensive funerals. The average cost of a funeral is believed to be around $9000. The funeral can go on for 49 days. Considering that the per capita income is less than $100, this kind of funeral cost often compels people to sell their properties and spend all the savings as well.
- Average Age of Marriage: Cambodia’s average age of marriage is quite surprising. The average age for men here is 25 whereas the average age of marriage for women in Cambodia is 22. This fact might be surprising to the independent men and women out there!
- Three Day-long Cambodian Weddings: Cambodian weddings can last upto three days. In case you are excited, you must attend one of these weddings which are very different from ordinary weddings that you will usually see around.
- Active Landmines in Cambodia: Cambodia still has approximately 5 millions of active land mines. The rural countryside of Cambodia is filled with landmines, so much so that almost 30 people die every year from stepping on one.
- US Dollar – One of The National Currencies: US dollar is one of the national currencies in Cambodia. While the actual currency of the country is Riel, 90% of the country is dollarized today.
What Are The Best Places That You Must Visit in Cambodia?
Here are some of the places that you must visit in Cambodia:
Angkor Archaeological Park: Being home to the most famous temples in the globe, the Angkor Archaeological Park is home to the majestic Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, and Bayon. Experience the historical sites here to add to your memory of Cambodia. You should also visit incredible temples such as Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei, and the Roulos Group.
Kampot: Known for being home to untouched nature and adrenaline-pumping water sports, Kampot is home to places such as Phnom Bokor National Park, Phnom Chhngok Cave Temple, Popokvil Waterfall, etc. Whether you want to experience a diverse range of flora or desire to witness the magical remnants of French colonialism, Kampot is undoubtedly the best place to visit in Cambodia.
Ratanakiri: Another popular spot to visit in Cambodia is Ratanakiri which is known for being home to spectacular waterfalls, virgin forests, and rolling hills. Some of the places that you must visit Beung Yeak Loam, Cha Ong Waterfall, Eisey Patamak Mountain, Ka Chanh Waterfall, Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary, etc.
Being home to archaeological sites and places of historical importance, Cambodia in Southeast Asia is one of the popular destinations visited by thousands of tourists from different parts of the globe. Keep this list handy and add to your memories in Cambodia!