4 Amazing Palaces to Visit in Udaipur (2022)
Located on the land of royal palaces, rich history, colorful tradition and cultures, Udaipur is one of the top tourist places to visit in Rajasthan state. Almost synonymous with grandeur, royalty, rich heritage and extravagance, it is not hard to guess why most of the history buffs, architecture lovers and culture enthusiasts often end up in Udaipur for a fantastic vacation. Be it the natural beauty, serene sightseeing attractions, architectural brilliance, wide range of delicious cuisine of the colorful markets, there is a lot for a person to do in the Udaipur city. In fact, when here, there will not be even a single dull moment for you to ponder upon. Offering its visitors an eclectic fusion of what’s gone and what’s still on, Udaipur is not just about rich history. The natural beauty and romantic settings of the city often attracts newlyweds or couples for a romantic vacation. The unique charisma of Udaipur never fails to cast its magic on visitors. Ultimately each and every visitor ends up falling in love with the beautiful Udaipur city to an extent of visiting it again and again. Continue reading to know more!
Best Time to Visit Udaipur
As far as the climate of the city is concerned, Udaipur features a tropical kind of climatic condition. While the maximum temperature is about 42 degree Celsius and the minimum temperature around 28.8 degree Celsius in summers, wintersexperience a comparatively mild weather. Hence, the best time to visit Udaipur, then it will be somewhere in between the months of September to March.
4 Amazing Palaces to Visit in Udaipur
Though there are a series of interesting sightseeing places to visit in Udaipur ranging from mighty forts to massive palaces to lush green gardens to ancient temples, but if you are someone who has always fantasised about exploring the royal grand palaces, then they should be your go – to place in Udaipur. We have already made a list of some of the top palaces to visit in Udaipur for you. They are as follows:
1. Lake Palace
Built on the serene Lake Pichola which is located in the Jag Niwas Island, Lake Palace is really huge and sprawls over 1.5 hectare of land. Once built for serving as a summer palace for the royal family of the Udaipur city, this palace today is converted into a stunning heritage hotel and is known for being one of the top sightseeing places to visit in Udaipur. Took over by the Taj group, the place is now also known by the name of Taj Lake Palace. The grandeur of the bygone era was restrained and the already majestic structure was generously sprinkled with some splendour, luxury and glam, making it resemble a beautiful fairy tale kingdom. Owing to its picturesque location with the mighty Aravalli hills in the backdrop adding on to the romantic setting, this palace serves as one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in Udaipur. Image Source
- History: This magnificent structure was built long back in the year 1734 by Maharana Jagat Singh II. It used to serve as a summer palace for the royal family of Udaipur.
- Architecture: Built of elegant white marble, this palace appears just a fantasy when it arises softly from the blue waters of the lake pichola. The exquisite architecture of the palace includes gilt moldings, sculpted marbles and fretwork screens. Surprising fun fact about the palace is that about 4 acres of rock have been estimated to lay the foundation of this grand palace.
- Highlights of the Lake Palace in Udaipur: You will be pleased to know that this grand palace comprises of numerous fountains, pillared terraces, cusped arches and lush green gardens. You can even spot the painted mirrors, lotus leaves and pink stone work in various places throughout the palace. The palace structure includes some apartments such as Dhola Mahal, Phool Mahal, Kush Mahal, Bada Mahal and Ajjan Niwas.
- Facilities Available: One of the best parts about staying at this palace in Udaipur is that there is a plethora of amazing facilities for the guests including a classy bar, a café, a conference hall, great restaurants and a pretty swimming pool. The premises also include 12 beautiful banquet halls which are perfect for organising cocktail parties, wedding or any other similar functions.
- Timings: The palace is open from 10 AM till 6 PM on all days of the week.
- Location: Pichola, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
2. City Palace
Located on the banks of the Lake Pichola, the City Palace serves of being one of the most spectacular palaces to visit in Udaipur. Boasting of an age – old historical past and a splendid architecture, this place will take you back in time to the days of the rajas and maharajas. Considered to be the biggest building in the city, this palace is located on top of a hill which assures its visitors of witnessing some of the most beautiful uninterrupted panoramic views of the Lake Pichola, Lake palace and the entire natural scenery. Well – known for its glorious past and awe – inspiring beauty, the palace boasts of being one of the most royal setups in the entire state of Rajasthan and attracts people from far and away.
- History: The construction of this magnificent palace in Udaipur started long back in the year 1559 during the time of MaharajaUdai Singh II. It is believed it took over 300 years for this grand structured to be completed properly. The City Palace served as the power seat for the Maharanas where there lived and at the same time, administered the kingdom from.
- Architectures: The royal building of City Palace is one huge complex which boasts of housing a series of grand rooms and tall pillars within its premises. The flamboyant structure appears to be a perfect amalgamation of Mughal and Rajasthani style of architecture. One can say, that the architecture of the place is a true testimony the royal kingdoms of the Rajput dynasty.
- Highlights of the City Palace: The grand complex of this majestic palace is known to feature plenty of beautiful courtyards, huge rooms, wide corridors, stunning pavilions, hanging gardens, grand mahals and terraces within its complex. Inside the palace premises, there is also a well–known museum which displayed some of the finest elements of Rajput art and culture including colorful painting, brilliant sculptures, etc.
- Timings: The palace is open from 9.30 AM till 5.30 PM on all days of the week. On an average, it takes a visitor about 2 to 3 hours to completely explore the huge palace complex.
- Cost: While, the approximate cost for adults is Rs. 30, it is just Rs. 15 for children. For camera, you have to pay additional charges of Rs. 200.
- Location: Old city, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
3. Sajjangarh Palace
Also known by the name of Monsoon Palace, this palace nestled in the Bansdara Mountain at an elevation of about 940 metres above sea level, just on the outskirts of the main Udaipur city, is undoubtedly one of the top palaces to visit in Udaipur. Overlooking the beautiful Lake Pichola, the palace guarantees stunning panoramic and birds – eye views of the entire city of Udaipur, embraced by the mighty Aravalli hill range. While the views are beautiful to watch anytime but the beauty of the scene gets multiplied manifold during the monsoon season. Visiting the Monsoon Palace during the rainy season allows the visitors to visit the majesty of the Udaipur city as the dark cloud descend upon it. It is surely a scene that will stay in your heart forever, once you witness it from your own eyes. Other than that, sunset views from the place are also pretty mesmerising.
- History: The palace was built by Maharana Sajjan Singh of Mewar dynasty, after whom the palace is named, long back in the year 1884. It is known as Monsoon Palace because, in the olden days the king built this hilltop palatial residence to monitor the approaching monsoon clouds in a better way. This palace even served as a summer retreat for the Mewar Kings.
- Architecture: You would love to know that the Sajjangarh palace is one beautiful work of architecture. Built with elegant white marble, the palace boasts of having wide corridors, light pavilions and grand rooms within its premises. The best part about the construction is that how each window in the palace offers a stunning scenic view of the natural surroundings.
- Highlight of the Sajjangarh Palace: The interesting history and the praise worthy architectural brilliance undoubtedly serve as the highlight of the palace. Also, since the palace is circled by the Sajjangarh Wildlife sanctuary, you can combine the two in a visit for an amazing experience.
- Timings: The palace is open from 8 AM till 6 PM on all days of the week. On an average, it takes a visitor about 2 to 3 hours to completely explore the palace.
- Cost: The approximate cost is about Rs. 10 for Indian travellers and Rs. 80 for foreigners.
- Location: 11 Monsoon Colony, Sajjan Garh Rd, near MewarGarh hotel, Eklavya Colony, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
4. Udai Vilas Palace
If you truly want to fall in love with the charm of Udaipur, the city of lakes, then there is no better way than staying at the great Udai Vilas Palace. The place which once served the royalty of the Udaipur city, today has been converted into one of the best heritage hotels of Udaipur. Located right on the banks of the stunning Lake Pichola, Udai Vilas Palace or the Oberoi Udaivilas as it is commonly known as, is one great 5-star hotel. Spreading over a vast area of about 30 acres of land, this palace will serve to be a dream place, especially for all those people who always wanted to stay and pampered like royalty in one of those dreamy castles. Royal accommodation, delicious cuisine, world-class facilities and fine restaurants, what else can one ask for?
- History: The origin of this majestic palace of Udaipur dates back to long ago in the golden book of history. It is said that the beautiful Oberoi Udaivilas Palace is built in the same site which was once used as a hunting ground by the great Maharana of Mewar. Boasting of being over 200 – years old, a visit to this palace will surely take you back in time.
- Architecture: Sprawling over a vast area of about 50 acres of land, this 5 – star hotel has an intricate layout comprising of plenty of interconnecting domes and corridors. The architectural style of the palace reflects the true culture and rich history of the Udaipur city. The grand architecture of the palace is said to be inspired by the many palaces of Rajasthan.
- Highlights of the Udai Vilas Palace: Located on the banks of the scenic Lake Pichola, this majestic palace in Udaipur features fine restaurants, heated outdoor pools, luxurious spa, delicious cuisine and grand rooms. The beautiful courtyards, the lush green gardens and the stunning fountains add on to the beauty of this already charming royal premises.
- Facilities available: You will be pleased to know that the palace has spacious and modern rooms decorated elegantly with beautiful artworks and rugs. Equipped with modern equipment, the rooms even include classy minibars. Some of the other activities you can do here are practice yoga, enjoy a spa therapy, learn a Rajasthani folk dance, go for a wooden boat ride, have a traditional dining experience, enjoy traditional music and dance performance and so on.
- Timings: The palace is open for all 24 hours on all days of the week.
- Location: BadiGorela Mulla Talai Rd, Haridas Ji Ki magri, Pichola, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001.
Visiting these palaces will not satisfy your fantasy of castles and royal life but will also give you a sneak – peak in the glorious history as well as the rich culture of Udaipur.