Shopping in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj (2020)
The hills in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj attracts millions of tourists every year. The beauty of the place with a view of the majestic Dhauladhar peaks is incomparable. In addition to the natural beauty and places to eat in these cities, there are many places for shopping in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj. As the place is influenced by Tibetan culture, the place offers many Tibetan artifacts, paintings, jewelry among other things inspired by Tibetan culture.
You can buy Tibetan mats, carpets, silver and stone jewelry, the very famous Kangra tea from the Kangra valley, handicrafts and carvings in metal and wood, Thangka paintings which are bright paintings on canvas lined with silk and also mandala paintings, idols of Buddha and Hindu gods, woolen shawls, caps, prayer wheels and prayer flags are among the things which people look for in Mcleodganj.
Shopping in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj
The best places to shop in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj are mentioned below:
1. Kotwali Bazaar Dharamshala – Kotwali bazaar is one of the most famous markets in Dharamshala and is located at the foot of Dhauladhar hills. You will find all kind of things to buy from this market starting from the essential items for daily usage to souvenirs that you can bring back home and many other Tibetan artifacts famous in the area. You can buy beautiful woolen shawls, sweaters, Tibetan artifacts including Tibetan rugs, carpets, paintings, jewelry, and carvings in metal and wood, Thangka paintings etc. In addition to the beautiful things to buy there are many restaurants on both sides of the market where you can enjoy a scrumptious Tibetan meal once you are done shopping.
Location: Kotwali Bazar Road, Sudher, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176215
2. Semshook Tibetan Handicraft – Semshook Tibetan Handicraft is a small and one of the most popular shops in Dharamshala. This shop sells Italian and Tibetan designed clothes heavily inspired by the culture in these cities. They also customize dresses and clothes based on client’s or customer’s requirements. They get the clothes ready in just two days so the customers visiting from faraway areas can get their clothes made in little time. The shop owners also contribute to help the poor. In addition to the clothes, this shop is also very famous for the handicrafts among Indian and international visitors. One can buy Tibetan items like Thangkas, statues of Buddha, rugs, drapes, and others to make your house a little Tibetan décor.
Location: Near Hotel Dream Land, McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala
3. Divine Buddha Handicrafts – The predominant population in the city follows Buddhism so you will find many artifacts and souvenirs related to the Buddhist culture. Divine buddha handicrafts sells beautiful statues of Lord Buddha and other Tibetan artifacts and jewelry. They sell handmade sculptors of lord buddha made of brass, wood, crystal, stones, and mud. This is one of a kind shop selling all stuff related to Buddhism. They sell sculptors of other Indian gods as well and the way they capture the intricate details is admirable. You will be amazed to see the definition and cleanliness in the work done by the artists whose work is procured in this shop. Do remember to carry cash as they do not accept card payment at Divine Buddha Handicrafts.
Location: Temple Road, Dharamshala
4. Namgyal Book Shop – Being the home of Dalai Lama Dharamshala is heavily influenced by the Tibetan culture. You will pass many monks passing you by on the roads. There are many monasteries in the cities. You will see some buildings made in Tibetan architecture. The hints of the presence of Tibetan and Buddhist culture is present in every part and corner of the city.
Keeping these traditions alive is the Namgyal book shop, the most famous book shop in the city.
Namgyal book shop sells books on books on meditation, spirituality, and other aspects of Buddhism at nominal price. The store is located in the Tibetan complex of Dharamshala that is visited by travelers from all over the world. You will get to know several things about the Tibetan culture, heritage, cooking, history etc. from this store.
Location: Tsuglagkhang Complex, McLeod Ganj.
5. Green Shop – Green shop is a one stop shop to buy everything organic in Dharamshala. You will get things ranging from handmade recyclable paper products, homemade tahini, homemade natural peanut butter, and many other things. This is a small cozy shop for all-natural things at one place. If you are a fan of the natural, handmade products you would definitely like this shop and the things available at the shop. The shop is run and managed by The Tibetan Welfare Office which aims at preserving the nature in best possible way. Give this shop a visit on your next visit to Dharamshala.
Location: Bhagsunag Rd, McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176215
6. Tibetan Handicraft Centre – The Tibetan Handicraft Centre is very popular amongst the locals and tourists for the Tibetan influenced products. The place is especially famous for Tibetan carpets. The Handicraft Centre was established in 1963 with the aid of his holiness the Dalai Lama. This was developed to provide occupation to Tibetans living in exile and has been continued to provide for them for a long time now. In addition to the good deeds and service being offered to Tibetans, this place offers beautiful artifacts. You will see many Tibetans learning weaving when you visit the place. Do not miss visiting the Tibetan handicraft center on your next visit to Dharamshala.
Location: McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176219
7. Village Boutique – Village boutique is another interesting and beautiful place located in Mcleodganj where you can buy many Tibetan artifacts to gift to your friends and family and to decorate your home. You will see numerous options of things to buy from this shop. They have beautiful wall hangings, murals, sculptors, and rugs influenced from the Tibetan culture. This place also has books to buy, purses and wallets etc. Another interesting thing you can buy from this place is the Tibetan meditation bowl. You can learn to use it and the sound produced from the bowl can give instant relief and is meditative.
Location: McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala