6 Incredible Lakes That One Must-Visit in Rajasthan (2021)
India is a land of diverse culture, rich history, abundant natural beauty, array of festivals and plethora of sightseeing attractions. These are some of the factors which attract tourists from far and away to visit this beautiful country. Rajasthan is one such beautiful state in this huge country where history blends with modernity. A perfect mix of tradition, culture, history and modernity, Rajasthan with its mysteries as well as ethnic vibes, welcomes travellers from across the globe with both arms open wide. If you are a water baby who is more interested in spending some quality moments on the white salt by the lakes rather than going from one sightseeing place to another, then you have arrived at just the right place. Owing to the arid climate of the Rajasthan state, many people are under the misconception that the Rajasthan does not house any lakes or rivers. Therefore, it may come as a surprise to you about the number of lakes you can visit in Rajasthan. In this article, we have made a list of some of the top lakes you must visit in Rajasthan. Continue reading to know more!
6 Incredible Lakes That One Must-Visit in Rajasthan
1. Lake Pichola, Udaipur:
Located right in the heart of the beautiful city of Udaipur, Lake Pichola is not only one of the most popular lakes to visit in Rajasthan but it also boasts of being the oldest and one of the largest lakes of the city of Udaipur. Flanked by mighty hills, bathing ghats and multiple heritage buildings, this lake has become a safe haven for peace and nature lovers. Built back in 1362 AD by Pichhu Banjara during the rule of Maharana Lakha, Lake Pichola in Rajasthan sprawls over a length of 3 miles and a width of 2 miles. Having a depth of 30 feet, the lake even houses two islands named Jah Niwas and Jag Mandir. It is during the evening hours that this iconic landmark of Rajasthan appears all golden as all the surrounding heritage buildings and pristine water of the lake turns golden under the reflection of sun rays. The enthralling views, tranquillity and scenic beauty of the place makes it one of the must visit lakes in Rajasthan. There are many other popular sightseeing attractions located close to Lake Pichola.
- Highlight of the Lake Pichola in Rajasthan: Enthralling views, natural beauty, surrounded by plenty of architectural gems and landmarks
- Popular Things You Can Do At Lake Pichola in Rajasthan: Boating, photography, relax, go sightseeing
- Popular attractions located nearby: City Palace, Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, Ambrai Ghat, Mohan Mandir, Bagore ki Haveli
- Opening hours: 9 AM till 6 PM
- Total Time To Explore: 1 to 2 hours would be enough
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended to visit Lake Pachola during evening hours in the winter or monsoon months. The lake is at its peak glory in this period.
2. Fateh Sagar Lake, Udaipur:
Located on the north-west side of Udaipur, Fateh Sagar Lake traces back its origin in about 1680’s. Since its creation, Fateh Sagar Lake has been a popular attraction to visit in Rajasthan and never fails to impress its visitors with its sparkling waters and pristine beauty. With the mighty Aravalli hills in the background, Fateh Sagar lake is the second largest artificial lake in the city. Surrounded by the verdant hillocks, this azure beauty is the treasure of Udaipur city and hence many people refer the city as ‘Second Kashmir’. Being a house to three islands including Udaipur Solar Observatory and Nehru park which in itself is a popular picnic spot well-known for its iconic fountain. Sprawled over an area of about 1 square km, this is one of the four lakes of the Udaipur city and hence is often frequented by many travellers as well as local people who are looking forward to spending some quiet moments in natural serenity. Fateh Sagar Lakes surreal beauty and quaint charms make it a popular weekend getaway in Rajasthan.
- Highlight of the Fateh Sagar Lake in Rajasthan: Scenic views, natural beauty, tranquil atmosphere, surreal blue waters
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Boating, photography, drive on the Moti Magri Road, view panoramic views, try water sports available here, plan a small picnic
- Popular Attractions Located Nearby Fateh Sagar Lake: Nehru Park, Maharana Pratap Memorial, Saheloyon Ki Bari, Udaipur Solar Observatory
- Opening Hours: 10 AM till 5 PM
- Total Time To Explore: 1 to 2 hours would be enough
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit Fateh Sagar Lake during evening hours in the winter or monsoon months. This period experiences a pleasant climate.
3. Pushkar Lake, Pushkar:
Perched amidst the mighty Aravalli range in Pushkar, this lake surrounded by 52 bathing ghats and more than 500 temples, makes it a popular Hindu pilgrim spot and a top scenic lake in Rajasthan. According to Hindu theology, it is said that the Pushkar lake was formed at the place where the petals of the sacred lotus of Lord Brahma fell while he was destroying Vajra Nabha. Located in the oldest city of Pushkar, the existence of Pushkar lake in Rajasthan is believed to date back to about 2nd century BC. There is a common belief among the worshippers that taking a dip in the famed holy waters of the Pushkar Lake can wash away the sins of the devotees of their whole life. Though the lake witnesses a flock of devotees visiting all-round the year but it is during the holiest day of Kartik Poornima, that the place is flooded with people. This is because, there is a belief that taking a dip in the waters of Pushkar lake on this day gives a person abundant benefits which are otherwise gained by performing yajnas for several centuries. Many people even believe that the water of the lake has medicinal healing properties too.
- Highlight of the Pushkar Lake in Rajasthan: Significant Hindu pilgrim spot, natural beauty, holy water, medicinal properties of the water
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Take a dip in the holy waters of the lake, visit the numerous temples, know more about the religious significance of the place
- Popular Attractions Located Nearby: Lord Brahma Temple, Savitri Temple, Man Mahal, Old Rangji Temple
- Opening Hours: 9 AM till 6 PM
- Total Time To Explore: about 1 hour would be enough
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit Pushkar lake during Kartik Poornima as it is the holiest of days.
4. Jaisamand Lake, Udaipur:
Sprawling over a vast area of about 100 square km, Jaisamand lake boasts of being the second largest artificial lake in the entire country of India after Govind Ballabh Pant Sagar and hence it is considered as one of the top lakes to visit in Rajasthan. Surrounded by the Jaisamand Wildlife Sanctuary, Jaisamand lake attracts a plethora of wildlife and nature lovers too. Constructed in the 17th century by Maharaja Jai Singh, the embankment is adorned with ornate cenotaphs with intricate carvings. With the summer palaces of Queens of Udaipur serving as a picturesque backdrop, Jaisamand lake in Rajasthan is one of the perfect places to visit for those who wish to relax in naturally pristine surroundings. The ‘Ocean of Victory’, as the name suggests, Jaisamand lake was inaugurated in 1691 and has three islands which are mostly inhabited by the tribe of Bhil Minas. With a plethora of top scenic sightseeing attractions of Rajasthan located close by, located away from the turmoil of the city life, Jaisamand lake is often frequented by peace lovers.
- Highlight of the Jaisamand Lake in Rajasthan: Scenic backdrop, natural beauty, peaceful atmosphere, picturesque views, well – maintained, many sightseeing attractions nearby
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Relax, boating, admire natural beauty, enjoy the peace, go sightseeing, photography
- Popular Attractions Located Nearby Jaisamand Lake: Jaisamand Sanctuary, Shiva Temple, Summer Palaces of the queens, Dhebar Lake, Marble Dam
- Opening hours: 10 AM till 5 PM
- Total time to explore: 2 to 3 hours would be enough
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit Fateh Sagar Lake during evening hours as the sunset views are purely magical.
5. Nakki Lake, Mount Abu:
Locally referred to by the name of ‘Nakki Jheel’, this is one of the top lakes to visit in Rajasthan for nature lovers. Flooded by splendid natural wonders, Nakki lake situated in the mighty Aravalli ranges in Mount Abu even boasts of being the first man – made lake in the entire country of India. With a depth of about 11,000 metres and a width of a quarter of a mile, nestled amidst lush greenery, mighty mountains and strangely cut rocks, this fascinating lake is placed right in the heart of the scenic hill station of Mount Abu. Owing to its clean azure blue waters, picturesque surroundings and romantic settings, Nakki lake is often referred as the Lake of Love and is frequented by a plethora of newlywed couples. It may come as a surprise to you, but this mesmerising lake in Mount Abu in Rajasthan is even considered as a sacred lake by the proud Garacia Tribe which lives nearby. There are several legends associated with lakes related too. Moreover, the multiple natural wonders that are located close by to the Nakki lake further multiply its charm manifold.
- Highlight of the Nakki Lake: Picturesque surroundings, romantic setting, legends associated, multiple natural wonders located nearby, Sunset point close by
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Boating, Photography, admire nature, know about the legends associated, visit the Sunset point, go sightseeing
- Popular Attractions Located Nearby: Temple of Rasiya Balam and Kunwari Kanya, Shri Raghunathji temple, Toad Rock, Dilwara Jain temple, Maharaja Jaipur Palace
- Opening hours: 9.30 AM till 6 PM
- Total Time To Explore: 1 to 2 hours would be enough
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit Nakki Lake during the time when the place experiences monsoon and winters. Try to reach the lake in the early morning hours to enjoy peace. The lake gets too crowded during the evening.
6. Ana Sagar Lake, Ajmer:
Sprawling over an area of about 13 square km, Ana Sagar lake located in the city of Ajmer is one magnificent artificial lake in Rajasthan. Tracing its origin long back in history to 1135 AD, it was commissioned by the grandfather of Prithvi Raj Chauhan. Well – known for offering stunning sunset views and picturesque surroundings, the lake attracts a huge number of travellers. It is immensely popular among photographers and nature lovers too. Housing an island in the centre, this lake is about 4.4 metres deep. Surrounded by the lush green Daulat Bagh gardens, the Ana Sagar Lake is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular lakes to visit in Rajasthan. Boasting of being the largest lake in the city of Ajmer, there are a variety of fun activities to do here when visiting Ana Sagar lake. Moreover, there are a series of attractions located in close vicinity to the Ana Sagar lake. So, you can easily club some to have a memorable experience.
- Highlight of the Ana Sagar Lake: Picturesque surroundings, lush greenery, natural beauty, peaceful atmosphere
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Boating, Photography, water scooter rides, admire natural beauty, go sightseeing
- Popular Attractions Located Nearby: Daulat Bagh, Tarahgarh Fort, Khobra Behroon Temple
- Opening hours: 8 AM till 8 PM
- Total time to explore: 1 to 2 hours would be enough
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit Anna Sagar Lake in between the months of October and March.
Make sure to visit at least one of these top spectacular lakes in Rajasthan during your vacation.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Rajasthan
Q1. Which Is The Largest Lake In Rajasthan?
Ans. Sambhar Salt Lake is the largest lake in Rajasthan.
Q2. Which Rajasthan city is Known as ‘the Lake City’?
Ans. Udaipur is often referred as the Lake City.
Q3. How Many Lakes Are There In Jaipur?
Ans. There are 6 lakes in Jaipur.