The Ultimate Guide to Niagara Falls : A Natural Wonder in Canada (2023)
Niagara Falls is a natural wonder in America that captivates millions of outdoor enthusiasts every single year. This landmark boasts awe-inspiring beauty and is perhaps the Best Waterfall to visit in the World. Niagara Falls sits on the border of Canada and the United States New York City and is accessible from two different sides. While the U.S. side of Niagara Falls boasts recreational opportunities, Ontario, Canada, boasts mesmerizing views and the immense natural beauty of Niagara. This thrilling blend of breathtaking scenery and exhilarating experiences makes visiting here worthwhile. The powerful cascades of water plummeting from great heights mesmerizes every eye that witnesses this grandeur.
The Canadian side of Niagara Falls never fails to impress the visitors. Whether you enjoy a boat tour, looking forward to feeling the waterfall mist, exploring the lush parks and hiking trails, or enjoying the panoramic views of the waterfall from observation decks, there’s a lot to choose from. Apart from its natural splendor, Niagara Falls also has accommodations, dining options, and entertainment venues to keep tourists at ease. Join us as we dive into the Journey to Niagara Falls. Here’s all that you need to know before visiting this natural wonder in Canada.
History of Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is geologically quite young. Its formation dates back some 12,000 years ago when water plunged over the edge of the Niagara Escarpment. Niagara Falls’s formation is quite slow, and it is still continuing today. Once, it have been a sacred site for Indigenous peoples, including the Haudenosaunee and the Ojibwe. Communities back then regarded Niagara Falls as a place of power and spirituality. Also, the first European who witnessed the waterfalls was French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1604.
Best Time To Visit Niagara Falls
Although Niagara Falls is a year-round attraction, for experiencing the best, choosing the right timing is crucial. If you are going to explore the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, the best time is from Late Spring to Early Fall season. It is when the temperature is mild, the weather is pleasant, and the daylight hours are longers. The months of May and September experience fewer crowds and slightly cold temperatures offering an ideal balance. The tourist season remains at its peak from June through August, it when fall is at its most beautiful form, surrounded by lush greenery. However, given Niagara Falls is one of the most natural wonders in the World, expect crowds every single day of the year.
How to Access Niagara Falls In Canada?
Niagara Falls is nestled in the Ontario city of Canada, and reaching here is relatively easy and convenient. Here are some recommendations for the same.
- By Air: Reach Toronto Pearson International Airport, the nearest Canadian airport, about 125 kilometers from Niagara Falls. The airport connects via taxi, rental car, or shuttle services to the waterfalls.
- By Car: The Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway from Toronto is ideal for driving towards Niagara Falls. Depending upon traffic conditions, it takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to complete the ride.
- By Bus: Greyhound and Megabus are some bus companies that operate regular services from Toronto and other nearby cities to Niagara Falls. Tickets for them can be booked well in advance.
- By Train: VIA Rail operates train services from Toronto to Niagara Falls. This train journey takes nearly 2 to 2.5 hours. Once at the nearby train station, take a taxi or local transportation to reach Niagara Falls.
- By Tourist Shuttle: A shuttle service ‘WEGO’ operates throughout area Niagara Falls; there is a convenient shuttle service called the “WEGO” that operates throughout the area, connecting major attractions and hotels. This is a great option for exploring the falls and nearby attractions without the need for a car.
Once you reach Niagara Falls, multiple pedestrian-friendly paths and walkways will allow you to access viewpoints and attractions along the falls.
Things To Do At Niagara Falls
When visiting Niagara Falls from the Canadian side, there are plenty of exciting things to do. Here are some of the choicest of them all.
- Enjoy the Journey Behind the Falls: This exhilarating experience attraction takes visitors to descend into tunnels. It allows the enthusiast to stand directly behind the cascading waters of Niagara Falls and get another worldview of the same. As the mist falls all over your body, the experience turns absolutely surreal. There are multiple observation decks offering awe-inspiring views with powerful fall rush a few feet away.
- Enjoy the Hornblower Niagara Cruises: This enjoyable boat tour takes participants absolutely close to the mighty Niagara Falls. Participants are told to wear a poncho (provided) so that the thrilling experience doesn’t drench them. This Journey through the swirling mist enables the awe-inspiring power of the falls. This thrilling adventure for an immersive experience is definitely a must.
- Experience a ride on Niagara SkyWheel: This towering Ferris wheel is located in Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls. It is nearly 175 feet and offers panoramic views of the city, Niagara Falls, and other surrounding areas. The SkyWheel features climate-controlled gondolas from where visitors can enjoy the breathtaking any time of the day and the year. Even the night views of the waterfall from here are truly fantastic.
- Explore Niagara Parks: This collection of parks and attractions along the Canadian side of Niagara Falls involves a lot. The landscape is home to Queen Victoria Park, Butterfly Conservatory, Botanical Gardens, hiking trails, and a lot more.
- Visit Clifton Hill: This entertainment district near Niagara Falls is a must-visit to take a break from fall activities. The area offers multiple attractions in the form of restaurants, shops, arcades, mini-golf courses, wax museums, haunted houses, and thrilling rides. Clifton Hill is vibrant and lively and is ideal for visitors of all ages.
- Ride the Whirlpool Aero Car: This cable car takes passengers across the Niagara River while they enjoy the mesmerizing views of the swirling whirlpool below. It offers a unique and thrilling perspective of the natural phenomenon. Aero Car has been serving since 1916 and is a popular attraction for visitors to Niagara Falls.
Things To Know Before Visiting Niagara Falls In Canada
When exploring Niagara Falls, Canada, there are a few important things to know to make the most of your visit:
- Visitors crossing the border should have a valid passport or other acceptable identification to enter Canada.
- Canada accepts dollars, but its official currency is the Canadian dollar. Be prepared to exchange your currency.
- Niagara Falls has several free and paid parking options available. However, during peak tourist seasons, consider taking public transport or arriving early, as parking can be limited.
- Niagara Falls has four distinct seasons; thus, dress accordingly and check the weather forecast before. Even mild winters bring later since, due to must, the temperature near the falls is cooler.
- Purchase the Niagara Falls Adventure Pass and enjoy a range of attractions nearby. This can help you save money.
- Do not forget to bring your camera to capture the beauty around you. However, keep the devices secure near crowded areas.