Visit Bongaigaon: 3 Amazing Places to Visit in Bongaigaon, History, The Best time to Visit Bongaigaon, FAQs (2022)
Visit Bongaigaon in Assam:
Are you tired of your daily monotonous life and are wishing for a fun and relaxing getaway amidst natural serenity? Do you often hear people calling you a history buff? If your answer to these questions is yes, then we have found out just the perfect vacation destination for you.Image Source
Boasting of being the second largest city of the lower Assam region, Bongaigaon in Assam is one of the biggest industrial as well as commercial hubs of the entire North East India.
The complete city of Bongaigaon is further divided into two parts: One is the old Bongaigaon and the other is the New Bongaigaon. Both of these parts are flooded with a huge variety of sightseeing attractions which makes it such a popular tourist place to visit in Assam. Other than that, some other things which make Bongaigaon an exceptional vacation destination for travellers is its rich historical past, connection with Buddhism, natural beauty and wide range of shopping opportunities. Do you wish to know more about this wonderful tourist place? If yes, then continue reading because in this Bongaigaon travel guide we have listed down some of the important and must – know information about this place which you should be aware of before actually visiting the place.
History of Bongaigaon, Assam
Centrally located within the state of Assam, Bongaigaon serves to be an important city. The city of Bongaigaon boasts of being the last capital of the mighty Kamatapur Kingdom and hence it is not surprising that the place comprises a wide range of historical monuments that reflect the exquisite Assamese culture. Situated at a distance of about 180 km north west of the Guwahati city, depicting a vibrant Assamese township, heritage as well as culture makes Bongaigaon a popular tourist place to visit in Assam.
Other than being known for being the last capital of the Kamatpur kingdom, the city of Bongaigaon is also well-known for housing the remnants of the Buddhist culture. One can see them in a variety of sightseeing attractions located inside the city including the hilly caves of Gumphas or the stone carvings of the Jogigoopha hill rocks. There are a variety of other tourist places housed inside the Bongaigaon city which are well-known throughout the entire country of India. The best part is that though Bongaigaon is developing rapidly but still the natural habitat and the lush greenery of the city remains largely untouched, giving it a naturally beautiful touch. The Bongaigaon city is also pretty well-known for its petrochemical industry.
Popular Tourist Places to Visit in Bongaigaon, Assam
When it comes to sightseeing attractions, you don’t even have to worry an ounce about them as long as your vacation destination is Bongaigaon. The city boasts of housing several famous tourist places in Assam within its vicinity. We have listed down some of the top tourist destination in Bongaigaon for you. They are:
1. Koya Kujia Beel
Located in Abhayapuri of Bongaigaon district of Assam, Koya Kujia is one of the most spectacular eco-tourism spots of the city. Promoted by the Government of Assam itself, this spot located at a distance of about 15 km from the Bongaigaon city, serves as a popular picnic spot and is often frequented by a large number of travellers as well as local people. You will also be pleased to know that the lake premises even attract a lot of migratory birds during the winter season. During this time, the area is flooded with a variety of birds, making it nothing short of a paradise for bird watchers. With a number of small islands that are blessed with an abundance of flora and fauna, this place surrounded by dreamy blue hills, this beel or lake is one of the top tourist places to visit in Assam, especially for nature lovers. Image Source
- Highlight of Koya Kujia Beel in Bongaigaon: Natural beauty, rich collection of flora and fauna, scenic views, migratory birds
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Admire natural beauty, indulge in photography, bird watching, have a small picnic
- How to Reach: You can find a number of buses as well as taxis that will take you to Koya Kujia beel from the nearby area. The nearest bus stands near the Bongaigaon area are ASTC bus stand and CHapaguri bus stand. Though bus services are easily available from many major cities including Guwahati but still it is recommended to hire a taxi.
- Best Time To Visit: Though the place can be visited anytime but it is during the winter season that the charm of the lake is exceptional with the arrival of a huge flock of migratory birds. Other than that, you can also visit the place during spring and have a great time. Avoid monsoon and summer season as rains and scorching heat can spoil your experience.
2. Rock Cut Caves
Located at Jogighopa in the district of Bongaigaon, the spellbinding specimens of architecture can be seen as the remains of the five rock¬-cut caves. Lying on the scenic banks of the mighty and elegant river Brahmaputra, these caves are considered as an immensely popular tourist place to visit in Bongaigaon, especially among architectural buffs. A lot of studies have pointed out that the caves were established back in history during the Salasthamba period. Having a length of about 1.90 metres, this historical relic with a rounded verandah is the highlight of the place. It is the art and architecture of these caves that makes it so special because it serves as a great example of the kind of art that was practiced during that period, mainly in the western region of India. This cave is proof that Assam was a part of the artistic movement in the past too.
Under the protection and preservation of the Archaelogical survey of India, these well-preserved area is a must-visit place in Bongaigaon.
- Highlight of the Place: Art and architecture of the caves, rumours behind its establishment
- Popular Things You Can Do Here: Study the unique architecture, explore the art of the caves, know more about the history of the caves, go sightseeing
- How to Reach: Certain rental agencies as well as the Bongaigaon bus stand provide impressive local transport facilities to reach the caves. You can easily get one of the buses or hired cars that will take you to the destination as per conducted schedules.
- Best Time To Visit: Though this place can be visited anytime throughout the year, if you are looking only for the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip in between the months of November and March. The weather during this time is perfect for exploration and sightseeing.
3. Manas National Park
Boasting of being a UNESCO Natural World Heritage Site, an Elephant Reserve, a Biosphere Reserve as well as a Project Tiger Reserve, this national park near Bongaigaon alone manages to attract hundreds and even thousands of travellers from all over the country throughout the year. It is no wonder why Manas National Park is considered as a top tourist place to visit in Assam. In fact, it is the Bongaigaon city which serves as the entry point to this popular national park. Recognised for its rich biodiversity, scenic landscapes and naturally pristine scenery of forested hills, Manas National Park is definitely a well-maintained national parks. Located at a distance of about 80 km from Bongaigaon, some of the fauna you can spot here are Wild water buffaloes, Pygmy Hog, Assam roofed turtle, hispid hare, golden langur and red panda.
- Highlights of the place: Well – maintained, rich biodiversity, natural beauty, lush greenery, only tiger reserve in Assam
- Popular things you can do here: Elephant ride, Jeep safari, bird watching, seeing the tea pickers, admire the natural scenery
- How to reach: The nearest airport to reach Manas National Park is located in Guwahati. The nearest railheads are Barpeta road and Guwahati railway station. You can also travel by personal vehicle or hire a taxi to reach the place.
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip in between the months of October and December or from middle March onwards.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Bongaigaon?
Though this scenic tourist place in Assam can be visited anytime throughout the year, the best time to visit Bongaigaon would be somewhere in between the months of late October till March. This period experiences the best climate. With cool days, chilly nights and minimal humidity, you will definitely have a great time.
With its dramatically growing numbers of restaurants, hotels, shopping malls, educational institutions, residential apartments and preserved natural beauty, the historically rich city of Bongaigaon has today evolved into one of the major commercial as well as business hubs of the state of Assam.
FAQ’s for Tourists Plannig to Visit Bongaigaon in Assam:
Q1. Are There Shopping Options In Bongaigaon?
Ans. There are a vast range of antique and unique items available in the series of shops in the city which you can explore and shop to take them back home along with your trunk of sweet memories.
Q2. What Are The Popular Dishes Of Bongaigaon?
Ans. Some of the must try local food dishes of the area include- Maasor tenga, khar, aloo pitika and chutney.
Q3. Who Should Visit Bongaigaon?
Ans. No matter whether your expectations from this getaway is to relax in natural serenity, visit some historical monuments, explore the lush and dense forests, learn more about the exquisite Assamese culture or just go sightseeing, Bongaigaon will prove to be an ideal tourist place to visit in Assam for you.