8 Amazing Waterfalls in Chhattisgarh (2021)
Having the most astounding demographics a country can have, India has a lot of marvellous wonders for the travellers to explore. Though each state comes with its own highlight but talking about waterfalls, one can really not forget to mention about the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. Boasting of having a rich cultural heritage along with a spell bounding scenic natural beauty, the state of Chhattisgarhis nothing short of an absolute treat for nature lovers. Blessed with a plenty of mountain ranges, perennial rivers and lush green forests, it is not surprising to guess why the spectacular waterfalls of Chhattisgarh are so popular. In fact, it is due to these waterfalls that the state of Chhattisgarhmanages to attract a huge crowd of travellers from all over the world. A perfect blend of historic elegance and natural astounding natural beauty, we have already made a list of top 8 waterfalls in Chhattisgarh for you. Continue reading to know more!
8 Waterfalls in Chhattisgarh
Continue to Read about 8 Waterfalls in Chhattisgarh:
1. Chitrakote Waterfall
Boasting of being the largest and broadest waterfall in the entire country of India, Chitrakote is undoubtedly one of the most popular waterfalls to visit in Chhattisgarh. Originating and majorly fed by the serene Indravati river, this waterfall is located in the west region of Jagdalpur in the Bastar district of Chhattisgarh. With a height of approximately 95 feet and a width of about 985 feet, the waterfall cascades down from the top of the cliff in three different streams during the summer season. If you wish to enjoy uninterrupted view of the entire waterfall, then you can go for a boat ride below the waterfall. There is even a shrine of Lord Shiva below the fall which also serves as a major attraction. Image Source
- Location: Chitrakote waterfall is located in Jagdalpur in the Bastar district of Chhattisgarh.
- Best Time to Visit: It is during the monsoon season which begins from the month of July and last till October that the flow of the river is at its peak and the waterfall at its pinnacle. Beautiful rainbows are created with sun rays reflecting on the mist from the waterfall which makes monsoon the best time to visit the waterfall.
- Total Time Required: On an average, a visitor spends about 2 to 3 hours fully exploring the place.
2. Chitradhara Waterfalls
The list of best waterfalls in Chhattisgarh is incomplete without mentioning about this impressive and unique waterfall. A picturesque wonder created by mother nature, the Chitradhara waterfall is located in the serene and remote village of Pitanar. The calm and peaceful surroundings, the exquisite sound of crashing of water on rocks and the lush greenery all around, makes this waterfall a literal visual treat for travellers. The source of the Chitradhara waterfall is the serene river Indravati which flows through the dense forests and wide cliffs. The place often serves as a great picnic spot among locals and tourists.
- Location: The Chitradhara waterfall is located at a distance of about 19 km from Jagdalpur on the way to Chitrakote waterfall.
- Best Time To Visit: The best time to visit will be in between the months of July and October.
- Total Time Required: On an average, a visitor spends about 1 to 2 hours to completely explore the place.
3. Charre – Marre Falls
Located in the Kanker district on the Jogi river, Charre – Marre waterfalls is another marvellous waterfall to visit in Chhattisgarh. Watching the crystal-clear water fall from a heigh of about 16 metres is a surreal sight to see. Fed mainly by the Jogidhara river, this waterfall is often referred to as the jewel or crown of the Kanker district owing to its astounding beauty. Falling down in a zig zag pattern, the reservoir that forms at the bottom of the waterfall proves to perfect to take a quick refreshing dip. The bountiful and pristine natural beauty of the place is enough to rejuvenate your soul and body. It is the perfect place to visit if you wish to spend some quality time amidst picturesque surroundings.
- Location: The Charre – Marre waterfall is located in the Kanker district of Chhattisgarh.
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, visit the fall in the months from October till December.
- Total Time Required: On an average, a visitor spends about 3 to 4 hours to completely explore the place.
4. Tirathgarh Waterfall
Located on the serene Mugabahar river, Tirathgarh waterfall is a block type falls in which the water instead of falling straight down, plunges over a series of boulders.
Splashing from a height of about 300 height, this waterfall nestled amidst beautiful lush green forests is one of the most spectacular waterfalls to visit in Chhattisgarh. There is even a temple of Shiva Parvati located here and hence this waterfall proves to be a complete package of culture, entertainment, fun and picnic. The spot is often frequented by a plenty of local as well as travellers as a picnic spot. The unique feature of the waterfall is that on its way down, the fall splits into multiple streams which further creates a spell bounding view. Watching the milky water fall from a height in the green surroundings is enchanting.
- Location: The Tirathgarh waterfall is located at a distance of about 35 km south – west to Jagdalpur area in Chhattisgarh.
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is suggested that you place during the early winter season as during this period, the water flow is quite strong and wide.
- Total Time Required: On an average, a visitor spends about 2 to 3 hours to completely explore the place.
5. Ghatarani Waterfalls
Surrounded by lush green, dense forest, Ghatarani is another member of the list of stunning waterfalls to visit in Chhattisgarh. Apart from natural beauty, this waterfall also provides you a chance of entertainment and adventure. In order to reach the Ghatarani waterfall, visitors have to do a short trek through the thick forest. The best part is that this is not an extremely difficult trek and also provides visitors a plethora of opportunities to witness the wide variety of flora and fauna in the forest from up close.
There is even a small bridge over the narrow part of the waterfall for watching a wonderful view. It will also take you to ancient Jatmai temple.
- Location: The Ghatarani waterfall is located at a distance of about 75 km from Rajpur and about 25 km from Jatmai Village.
- Best Time To Visit: Unlike the other waterfalls, one should avoid visiting this waterfall during monsoon as the trek trail can get slippery and dangerous. Hence, it is recommended to visit the place after monsoon ends.
- Total Time Required: On an average a person spends about 1 to 2 hours to completely explore the place.
6. Rajpuri Waterfall
If you love fishing or want to try your hand at this sport, then this waterfall will prove to be the best waterfall to visit in Chhattisgarh for you. Serving as a famous picnic spot among the locals of the Jashpur district and the tourists, this place provides great opportunities for fishing. Since the spot is surrounded by a plenty of tribal villages, you can even get to know more about the traditions, custom and lifestyle of the tribal culture which will make your experience all the more exceptional. Some other adventure activities you can indulge in here are hiking and trekking.
- Location: The Rajpuri waterfall is located at a distance of about 60km from Jashpur district.
7. Malanjhkudum Falls
Located on the Doodh river, this waterfall is another popular waterfall in Chhattisgarh. You will be pleased to know that the Malanjhkudum waterfall is made up of three waterfalls which are of 10m, 15m and 9 m in height. On combining they give birth to this wonderful waterfall which even serves as a great picnic spot due to the mesmerising surroundings. In fact, the beauty of this place attracts people from all over the world.
- Location: The Malanjhkudum waterfall is located at a distance of about 15 km from Kanker district.
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, visit the place in between the months of October and March.
- Total Time Required: On an average, a visitor spends about 1 hour to completely explore the place.
8. Mandawa Waterfall
Be it the pristine waters or the natural surroundings, but a visit to this beautiful waterfall of Chhattisgarh will definitely boost your spirit and rejuvenate your soul to the fullest. Owing to its refreshing and peaceful atmosphere, the place serves as a great picnic spot too. Falling from a height of about 70 feet, the water collects in a small reservoir at the bottom of the waterfall which further flows down in the Kanger river.
- Location: The Mandawa Waterfall is located in the Mandawa village in Chhattisgarh.
Be it the site of the water cascading down from a height, or the sound of the water crashing on the rocks or just the beautiful natural surroundings, the waterfalls of Chhattisgarh are worth visiting.
Q1. How Many Waterfalls Are There In Chhattisgarh?
Ans. The state of Chhattisgarh is a home to over 40 waterfalls.
Q2. Which Waterfall Is Called The Niagara Waterfall Of India?
Ans. The Chitrakote waterfall is referred to by the name because of its great width.
Q3. What Else Is Chhattisgarh Famous For?
Ans. The state of Chhattisgarh is well-known for rich culture heritage, vast wildlife, ancient temples and natural beauty.