Visit Dhamtari: Home To A Series Of Ancient Temples, National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries in Chhattisgarh (2022)
Planning a quick getaway but are unable to choose the right vacation destination? Don’t worry, you are not alone in this struggle. With so many exciting tourist places in India, confusion is bound to happen. However, if your idea of an ideal vacation destination includes things like folk culture, ancient temples, vast wildlife, abundant natural beauty and quaint life, then you can finally take a sigh of relief because we have done the hard job for you. Popular for its rich cultural heritage and natural glory, the Indian state of Chhattisgarh has a plenty of sightseeing attractions for you. Out of the many tourist places to visit in Chhattisgarh, Dhamtari is one of the most popular one. Dhamtari is well–known throughout the country for being a home to a series of ancient temples, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and a lot more. If you wish to know more about this popular tourist place of Chhattisgarh, then you have stumbled across just the right place. In this Dhamtari travel guide, we will try to answer all your possible questions regarding Dhamtari.
Overview of Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh
Dhamtari is located right along the banks of the serene river of Mahanadi and its tributaries Pairy, Joan, Shivnath, Sendur, Kharun and Sondur. Owing to this very fact, it is not much surprising to know that paddy cultivation is pretty common in this land. With a population of around 82,000 people, Dhamtari is considered a small town. One thing for which Dhamtari is quite renowned is that the local people of the district have successfully managed to preserve their tribal history as well as culture in tribal hamlets. This culture and history are very well reflected in their different traditional art forms such as music, dance and local cuisines. Boasting of serving as a home to the great Chalukya empire of the 14th century, Dhamtari is considered a popular tourist place in Chhattisgarh, especially among history buffs. Though there are a plenty of sightseeing attractions to explore in Dhamtari, but the series of ancient temples and wildlife sanctuaries are undeniably the most popular ones. One can say, that the tourism of Dhamtari is mainly famous because of the unique things one gets to do and see there. Ranging from significant pilgrimage spots to quaint little villages to grand wildlife sanctuaries to tribal culture, Dhamtari has a lot to offer to its visitors. It is probably due to this very reason that the city attracts hundreds of tourists every year.
History of Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh
It may come as a surprise to you but officially formed on July 6, 1998, the district of Dhamtari is regarded as one of the oldest municipality regions in the country of India. Situated on the fertile plains of the Chhattisgarh region, this district is surrounded by the Raipur district on the north, the State of Orissa to the east, the Kanker and Bastar districts to the South and the Durg districts on the west side. Talking about the history of Dhamtari, the district was a part of the Raipur district in the state of Madhya Pradesh in the olden days but later became the part of the newly formed state of Chhattisgarh. With the main Bombay – Calcutta railway line going through it, Dhamtari was quite – well known as a popular trade network in the past. Some of the goods that were shipped from here included rice, animal hides, timber and beedi leaves. In fact, Dhamtari even serve as the headquarters of the American Mennonite Church which was first established in the region in the year 1899. Full of national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, ancient temples, dams and many more exciting sightseeing attractions, Dhamtari is rightly considered as a top tourist place of Chhattisgarh now. Image Source
Popular Things To Do At Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh
When choosing a vacation destination, one definitely considers what all they can do there. If the destination you are talking about is Dhamtari, then you have nothing to worry about. This tourist place in Chhattisgarh has so much to do, see and explore that you will have no dull moment. Some of the best things to do in Dhamtariare as follows:
- Go On A Temple Visiting Spree: When it comes to places of worship, Dhamtari is quite rich in them. There are a plenty of significant temples located in the region that are worth visiting. Out of the many temples of Dhamtari, the Bilai Mata Mandir is one of the most popular one. The temple alone manages to attract a number of pilgrims, especially Hindu devotees from all over the country every year. If you have some extra time at hand, you can also visit Sihava to see some more different temples. Located by the Mahanadi river, visiting these temples will actually complete your pious journey.
- Get a Glimpse Of The Local Culture: If you are one curious soul, who loves to experience and try new cultures, then exploring the local cultures of the villages located in and around the district is probably one of the best things to do in Dhamtari for you. You can visit the Hitali village to get a true and raw feeling of the local culture of the district. Interacting with the locals living in the district, will allow you to have a glimpse of their daily lifestyle. Dondki is another popular village which you can visit.
- Enjoy the Perks of a Heritage Hotel: For all those people who wish to learn more about the historical aspects of the place, visiting the heritage hotel is one of the best things to do in Dhamtari. Make sure to visit the stunning Kanker Palace and experience the glory of the ancient times when the palace served as a residence for the royal family. This spectacular palace has now been converted into a beautiful heritage hotel. For the best experience, stay for a day at the hotel and get pampered by the royal treatment.
- Visit a Church: If there are a plenty of temples in the region, then there are a few churches as well. A significant part of the Mennonite World Conference of India, the Sundarganj Menonnite Church is one of the most popular sightseeing attraction of Dhamtari. This famous place of worship is visited by both Catholics as well as people of other religion. The church is not only beautiful but has a peaceful aura as well. Though one can visit the church any time but during festivals or special occasions, the place is also decorated beautifully.
How to Reach Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh?
Facing travelling issues is the last thing you will want when going on a vacation. However, if your vacation destination is Dhamtari, then you can be rest assured. This is one of the top tourist places of Chhattisgarh and is well–connected to many major cities and states of the country through multiple means of transports. The region receives over hundreds of visitors from all over the country throughout the year. Some of the best ways to reach Dhamtariare as follows:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach Dhamtari is the Swami Vivekananda International Airport. This airport is located in Raipur, at a distance of about 70.4 km away from the Dhamtari district. The airport offers a plenty of flights connecting the region to several national as well as international destinations. Once you reach the airport, you can easily take a cab or hire a taxi to reach your destination. The journey won’t be very long.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach Dhamtariis located in the region itself. The Dhamtari railway station is located at a distance of about 2.3 km from the heart of the place. There are a plenty of major trains that connect Dhamtari to many major cities and states of the country. Reaching Dhamtari via railways is considered as one of the simplest and most convenient ways of travelling. Once you reach the station, you can take any local means of transportation to reach your destination.
- By Road: You will be pleased to know that the Dhamtari district is easily accessible by roadways. There is a good network of well – maintained roads and highways that will help you in reaching the district. You can easily reach the place from many other nearby cities of Chhattisgarh. You can travel by personal vehicle or even take an overnight bus which will take you back and forth from many nearby states. This is considered as the most economical way of reaching Dhamtari.
No matter whether you are interested in exploring wildlife, natural beauty, culture, religion or just relax, this tourist place of Chhattisgarh is suitable place for all kind of travellers.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Dhamtari
Q1. What Is The Best Time To Visit Dhamtari?
Ans. The best time to visit Dhamtari is during the winter season when the weather is pleasant for sightseeing. You can also visit the place during monsoons as the natural beauty is at its peak.
Q2. How Can One Navigate Through Dhamtari?
Ans. This popular tourist place in Chhattisgarh offers affordable local transportation. You can easily get around the district with the help of the government run buses, auto rickshaws or cabs.
Q3. How is the Food at Dhamtari?
Ans. Though the primary food of Dhamtari is non – vegetarian food but there are options like millets available for vegetarians as well.