Visit the Amazing Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary in Chhattisgarh (2022)
Do you want to go on a vacation where you can explore your beloved wildlife species roaming freely in their own habitat? If your answer is yes, then we have found just the perfect vacation destination for you. The Indian state of Chhattisgarh is quite popular for its abundant natural beauty, rich cultural heritage and vast wildlife species. Out of the many sightseeing attractions to visit in Chhattisgarh, the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary is undeniably the best one for the wildlife lovers and nature enthusiasts. The land of virgin wood combined with a wide range of wildlife species, this wildlife sanctuary still remains untouched and unperturbed by tourists. Away from the hustle – bustle of the fast – paced city life, this place is nothing short of a paradise for the wildlife lovers. Does this beautiful wildlife sanctuary of Chhattisgarh pique your interest and you wish to know more about it? If yes, then you have arrived at the right place. In this Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary travel guide, we will try to answer all your queries regarding the place. Continue reading to know more!
Overview of the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, Chhattisgarh
Established long back in the year of 1976, Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary is not only a safe haven for a vast range of wildlife species but is also considered as one of the most popular sightseeing attraction of Chhattisgarh. Sprawling over a vast area of about 245 square km, the land is covered with rich and lush green vegetation that caters to the need of a broad spectrum of wildlife of the region. Be it the mostly flat terrain landscape with occasional low and high hillocks or the fascinating background with perfect light and magic, the wildlife sanctuary is actually a treasure to explore. Owing to its picturesque quality, the place also manages to catch the attention of a wide range of photographers from all over the country.
As you step inside this popular wildlife sanctuary of Chhattisgarh, you will feel as if you have entered a whole new world. A place where life move at its own pace without the continuous tik-tok of the clock, the exotic charm of nature and the peaceful aura combine to almost cast a magic spell on the visitors. Watching the various majestic animals making their way in the lush green natural surroundings, this sanctuary will surely touch your heart. One can say, that the Barnawapara wildlife sanctuary fully reflects how well the wildlife is loved and taken care of in the state of Chhattisgarh.
Major Attractions of the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, Chhattisgarh
As a first-time traveller, it is natural for you to be curious about the kind of place which you would be visiting. However, if you are travelling toBarnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, there is absolutely nothing for you to worry about. This is one of the top tourist places to visit in Chhattisgarh and attracts people from all over the country. Some of the major attractions of the BarnawaparaWidlife sanctuary are as follows:
- Etymology: The Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary got its name after the Bar and Nawapara forest villages which are located right in the heart of the sanctuary.
- Stunning landscape: For the starters, this place is one natural paradise. It is basically a vast land mass of undulating terrain that is beautifully dotted with a plenty of low as well as high hillocks. In fact, it is considered as one of the well forested area of the North Eastern corner of the Raipur district. Thanks to the presence of the tributaries of the mighty Mahanadi river, the area experiences no shortage of water. Apart from that, the river Balamdehi and Jonk river from the western and the north – eastern boundary of the sanctuary respectively.
- Rich flora of Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary: You will be pleased to know that this wildlife sanctuary is one lush green region, well – stocked with forests which can be classified as tea, sal and other mixed forests. The sanctuary is replete with tropical dry deciduous forests. Bamboo is one of the most popular trees that can be spotted in the region. Apart from that, some other common sights of topical dry deciduous trees and flora varieties that you can come across in the wildlife sanctuary are tendu, mahua, semal, terminalia and ber.
- Wide range of Fauna in Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary: This is one of the most popular wildlife sanctuaries of Chhattisgarh is a home to many species such as tigers, neelgai, leopards, wild boar, porcupine, antelopes, cheetal, pythons and sambhar. You can even spot sloth bear, flying squirrels, jackals, chinkara, bison, monkey, striped hyena, wild boar, cobra and many more fauna. The fearless Indian bison, also known by the name of gaur is regarded as the major attraction of the Barnawapara wildlife sanctuary.
- Large population of bird species: If you are an avid bird watcher, then you will be pleased to know that this grand wildlife sanctuary also boasts of being a home to more than 150 species of birds. Some of the bird varieties you can spot here include parrots, herons, peafowl, black bucks, egrets, bulbul, white – rumped vultures, wood peckers, green avadavat, lesser kestrels and racket – tailed drongos. Bird watching is literally considered as one of the best things to do at the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary.
Entry Fee and Timings of the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, Chhattisgarh
Talking about the opening hours of the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, during the summer season this place is open right from 6.45 AM till 11 AM. Then it shuts down for a while to reopen at 2.30 PM till 5.30 PM. In the winter season, the operating hours of the sanctuary change to 6 AM till 10.30 AM, and then from 3 PM till 6.30 PM. The sanctuary remains closed during the monsoon season from July 1 till October 31 due to heavy showers and slippery trails. If you are worried about paying a hefty entry fee to visit this popular tourist place of Chhattisgarh, then we will be pleased to tell you that it is not much. For all the Indian tourists, the entry fee is just Rs. 55 per person, however, if you are a foreign tourist, then you will have to pay a fee of Rs. 200 per person.
In order for the convenience of visitors and to allow them to explore the vast place from up close, the sanctuary offers its visitors a wonderful safari service. As far as the cost of Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary safari is concerned, the rates vary depending upon the kind of vehicle you opt for. However, you must know that if you are interested in taking the safari, the booking for the same will have to be done only in advance through the tour or resort operators. Apart from that, for a gipsy vehicle which is usually an eight – seater, the charges can range from Rs. 1300 to Rs. 2800 for a distance of 30 km. Another pleasing thing to know that is that the sanctuary charges no extra fee for photography or videography for non – commercial purposes.
How to Reach the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, Chhattisgarh?
Located at a distance of about 100 km from the capital city- Raipur, the Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary is one of the most popular sightseeing attractions to visit in Chhattisgarh. The place is visited by travellers from all over the country throughout the year. It is well – connected and easy to reach. Some of the best ways to reach the Barnawapara wildlife sanctuary are as follows:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach the Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary is the Swami Vivekananda International Airport. This airport is located in the capital city of Raipur and is situated at a distance of about 85 km from the wildlife sanctuary. This airport connects the place to several national as well as international destinations. Once you reach the airport, you can easily take a cab or hire a taxi to reach your destination.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach the Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary is located in the Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh. This railway station is located at a distance of around 60 km from the wildlife sanctuary. Many major trains stop at this station. Once you reach the railway station, you can reach your destination by taking a cab, taxi or any other public means of transport.
- By Road: You will be pleased to know that this popular tourist place of Chhattisgarh is easily accessible by roadways too. Though there are no direct buses available but the place is well – connected with a network of excellent roads. You can travel by personal vehicle or can even hire a taxi to reach the place from nearby cities. It will take you a car drive of approximately 45 minutes to reach from Raipur.
Serving as one of the finest examples of the eco–tourism in the country, this wildlife sanctuary allows us to enjoy the best of the wildlife without any disturbances and distractions.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary
Q1. Is There Availability Of Food In The Sanctuary?
Ans. There is a canteen on the sanctuary premises for convenience of visitors.
Q2. Is There Guide Service Available In Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary?
Ans. There are numerous guides available here. For a better tour of the wildlife sanctuary, you can request guide services at an additional price of Rs. 250.
Q3. What Is The Best Time To Visit The Sanctuary?
Ans. Visit between November and January for the best experience.