9 Things Which One Must Not Miss in Wayanad (2023)
Located in the north-east part of Kerala, Wayanad attracts thousands of visitors every year from different parts of the country. Adorned with serene hill stations, spectacular waterfalls, and fresh aroma of spices, Wayanad unravels the opportunity for you to reset your body, mind, and soul. If you are preparing your itinerary and still can’t figure out the best things to do, here is the ultimate list of things that you must do in Wayanad. Whether you are visiting Wayanad solo or with your family and friends, this list has everything that you might want to do during your stay here.
1. Visit The Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary: Located 30 km away from Wayanad, the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is undoubtedly one of the must-visit spots in the town. Popularly known as Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, this wildlife sanctuary is spread across 344 sq km. Connected with Bandipur Parks in Karnataka and Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu, this sanctuary constitutes an important segment of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. During your visit here, don’t miss the jungle safaris and get a glimpse of tigers, elephants, peacocks, and panthers.
Location: Bathery- Puthupally Road, Sultan Bathery, Kerala
Timings: 7 AM to 10 AM and 3 PM to 4:30 PM
2. Visit The Largest Earth Dam in the Country: Wayanad is also home to the Banasura Sagar Dam which is known for being the largest earth dam in the country. Located 28 km away from Wayanad, this dam unravels the rejuvenating opportunity for you to go on a thrilling trek or boating. Adorning itself with crystal water, this dam is known for attracting thousands of visitors from across the globe. While you are here, don’t miss the mini Hydel Project which is quite popular here.
Location: Wayanad, Kerala
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM
3. Go For Bamboo Rafting at Kuruva Island: Situated 29 km away from Wayanad, the protected river delta of Kuruva Island is spread across 950 acres. Surrounded by lush greenery, this island is popular for bamboo rafting. The bridges made of bamboo here will leave you fascinated. If you love bird-watching, you will get to see a wide variety of birds here. The enchanting beauty of this island will certainly make your Wayanad trip a memorable one.
Location: Kuruvadweep, Kerala
Timings: 9 AM to 3:30 PM
4. Relive the History at Edakkal Caves: Located 19 km away from Wayanad, Edakkal Caves in Ambukuthi hills attract tourists and historians alike. The prehistoric inscriptions here enable you to know more about the lives of ancestors. Built by natural rock formations, these caves adorn themselves with dazzling interiors. To reach these caves, you will have to trek the Ambukuthi Hills. Don’t miss the pictorial paintings in these 96 foot long caves.
Location: Nenmeni, Kerala
Timings: 9 AM to 4 PM (Monday closed)
5. Go for Boating on the Pookode Lake: Spread across 13 acres, this freshwater lake is located 25 km away from Wayanad. With a lush backdrop of trees, this lake unravels the opportunity for you to go for boating and experience a diverse variety of fishes, blue lotuses, and birds. You will be amazed to see the Pookode Lake which is actually shaped like the Indian map. During your visit here, don’t miss the freshwater aquarium and children’s park nearby.
Location: Kunnathidavaka, Kerala
Timings: 9 AM to 5 PM
6. Visit the Gem Of Brahmagiri Hills: Better known as the Gem of Brahmagiri Hills, Thirunelli temple is one of the most popular religious sites in Wayanad. Being more than 3000 years old, this temple is believed to be built by Lord Brahma. This temple is also home to other deities including Nagam, Hanuman, Lord Vishnu, and Ganesh. Don’t miss the view of the surroundings from the hilltop here. This temple is located at a distance of 44 km from the town.
Location: Thirunelly Temple post, Mananthavady, Kerala
Timings: 5:30 AM to Noon and 5:30 PM to 8 PM
7. Go For A Trek at Chembra Peak: Located 34 km away from Wayanad, Chembra Peak is known for being one of the most visited spots by trekkers. Shall you desire to experience the spectacular view of Kozhikode and Malappuram, this is the best opportunity for you to do so. Standing at a height of 6900 ft, this peak is also home to a heart-shaped lake that you can’t miss on your way to the top. Before starting the trek, you need to collect passes from the Meppadi Forest Department. It takes around three hours to climb the peak.
Location: Wayanad, Kerala
Timings: Open All Day
8. Try the Local Delicacies: Shall you desire to go on a gastronomic journey during your trip to Wayanad, Malabar cuisine awaits for you here. Some of the local delicacies that you must try here include Then Nellikka, Kattu Soup, Karimeen Pollichathu, Nandan Beef, Chemmeen Unda Puttu, and Malabar Duck Roast. Whether you are visiting Wayanad with friends or family, you must visit some of the popular restaurants here including ClayHut Restaurant, Green Gates Restaurant, and the Wayanad Gate.
Location: Wayanad, Kerala
9. Experience A Treehouse Stay: If you always wanted to stay in a treehouse, Wayanad gives you plenty of opportunities to do so. Most of the treehouses here unravel the rejuvenating opportunity for you to be close to nature. As you spend days amidst tea and coffee plantations, you will be able to wake up to the aroma of fresh coffee. There are a wide variety of options when it comes to finding treehouses in Wayanad. One of the most popular options is the Pepper Trail Resorts.
Location: Mangalam Carp Estate Chulliyode, Sulthan Bathery-Chulliyode Road, Sultan Bathery, Kerala
Before booking your tickets to Wayanad, go through these best activities to do in the hill station, and create your itinerary. Whether you want to explore history or want to experience the tranquility of this hill station surrounded by lush green valleys, Wayanad won’t disappoint you for sure.