8 Weekend Getaways Within 350 km of Wayanad (2021)
Located in the north-east part of Kerala, Wayanad is known for wildlife and spice plantations. Filled with waterfalls and historical caves, Wayanad, the ‘Green Paradise’ unravels the opportunity for you to experience serenity away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Being a significant part of the Nilgiri Biosphere, Wayanad Wildlife Reserve unravels the opportunity for you to experience diverse wildlife. During your visit here, you can also go to these popular weekend getaways within 350 kms of Wayanad.
1. Coorg: Located 134 km away from Wayanad, Coorg is known for its evergreen highlands. Adorned with coffee plantations, spice gardens, and cardamom forests, Coorg attracts thousands of visitors every year from different parts of the country. If you are into adventure, you will be able to do river rafting or go trekking as well. Coorg unravels the best opportunity for you to have a soothing experience amidst nature. You can go to fishing camps at Valnoor or Bheemeshwari as well. Shall history interest you, you shouldn’t miss the Madikeri Fort, Omkareshwar Temple, and Namdroling Monastery here.
Location: Coorg, Madikeri, Karnataka
Best Time to Visit: October to March
2. Mysore: Situated approximately 93 km away from Wayanad, Mysore is another top weekend getaway from Wayanad. Being extremely popular for Mysore Palace, Mysore Pak, and Mysore Silk, this district provides you with the best opportunity to explore everything starting from architecture to food to clothes. Better known as the cultural capital of Karnataka, Mysore adorns itself with pristine landscapes and is known for rich wildlife as well. Surrounded by Kaveri and Kabini rivers, Mysore is undoubtedly one of the best destinations to visit.
Location: Mysore, Karnataka
Best Time to Visit: October to February
3. Mangalore: Located 192 km away from Wayanad, Mangalore is known as the Gateway to Karnataka. Adorning itself with pristine beaches and historically significant temples, this city is the perfect place to unwind. With the Arabian Sea on one side and the Western Ghats on the other, Mangalore unravels the rejuvenating opportunity for you to experience blissful time. During your weekend getaway from Wayanad here, you should definitely visit sea beaches like Panambur Beach, Ullal Beach, etc. Also, don’t miss the Kudroli Gorakhnath Temple here. Being home to delectable Udupi style dishes like Mangalorean fish curry, Cashew Upkari, and Neer Dosa, Mangalore takes you on a gastronomic journey as well.
Location: Mangalore, Karnataka
Best Time to Visit: September to April
4. Kodaikanal: Located 355 km away from Wayanad, Kodaikanal in the Dindigul district of Tamilnadu is known as the Queen of Hill Stations. Kodaikanal translates to ‘The Gift of the Forest’. Known for its spectacular natural beauty, this hill station was constructed by the Britishers in the domain of the 19th century. During your stay here, you should visit places like Kodaikanal Lake, Glen Falls, Silent Valley View Point, Perumal Peak, etc. The Shembaganur Museum of Natural History here is known for being home to more than 500 species of birds, insects, and animals. If you are visiting Kodaikanal during February or March, make time to visit the Natyanjali Festival. Kodaikanal is definitely a great weekend getaway destination from Wayanad.
Location: Kodaikanal, Dindigul, Tamilnadu
Best Time to Visit: October to March
5. Coimbatore: Located 170 km away from Wayanad, Coimbatore is known for its textile industry and is called The Manchester of South India. It is also home to the 147 ft long Adiyogi Statue which attracts thousands of visitors and devotees every year. If you are on a weekend getaway from Wayanad to Coimbatore, you should visit places like Kovai Kutralam Falls, Vaidehi Waterfalls, and Thoonakkadavu Lake. Also, don’t miss to visit the Marudamalai and Velliangiri Hill Temple here. If you want to go on a gastronomic journey here, consider visiting Shree Annapoorna or Junior Kuppanna.
Location: Coimbatore, Tamilnadu
Best Time to Visit: July to March
6. Alappuzha: Located 305 km away from Wayanad, Alappuzha is popular for being home to houseboat cruises that sail on the Kerala backwaters. If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, there can’t be any destination better than Alappuzha. Here you can go for a number of activities including kayaking, water skiing, and canoeing. During your weekend getaway here, you should visit places like Andhakaranazhi Beach, Vembanad Lake, Mannarasala Temple, and Alleppey Beach. You should definitely visit Pathiramal Island here to experience how migratory birds from different corners of the world come here. Shall you desire to go on a gastronomic journey here, you should visit places like Dreamers Cafe, Thaff Delicacy, Kream Korner Art Cafe, etc.
Location: Alappuzha, Alappuzha District, Kerala
Best Time to Visit: November to February
7. Munnar: Located 338 km from Wayanad, Munnar is undoubtedly one of the best weekend getaways from Wayanad. Located in Idukki district, this hill station adorns itself with forested hills. Besides being home to three rivers i.e. Mattupetti, Nallathanni, and Perivaru, this town attracts thousands of visitors because of the tea plantations. During your stay here, you can’t miss the Eravikulam National Park which is known for being home to the endangered species of Nilgiri Tahr. Other places to visit in Munnar include Atukkad Waterfalls, Mattupetty’s Dam, and Marayoor Sandalwood Forests.
Location: Munnar, Idukki District, Kerala
Best Time to Visit: December to February
8. Kannur: Located in the North Malabar region of God’s Own Country, Kannur lies 121 km away from Wayanad. Being home to pristine beaches, Kannur provides you with the opportunity to relax your soul away from the hustle and bustle of the city. During your visit to Kannur, take yourself to different sea beaches here including Payyambalam Beach, Baby Beach, and Muzhappilangad Beach. Those with interest in history must visit the 16th Century Fort, Tellicherry Fort, and St. Angelos here. Munnar is also home to Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary and Munderi Kadavu Bird Sanctuary. Want to visit some archaic places of worship? Don’t miss St. John’s Angelican Church, Rajarajeshwara Temple, and Annapoorneshwari Temple then.
Location: Kannur, Kerala
Best Time to Visit: June to September
Wayanad is the best place to be when you want to experience the wilderness in a hill valley. If you have a couple more days to spare during your Wayanad trip, take yourself to one of these weekend getaways from Wayanad to experience nature at its best. Whether you are into adventure or history, these places won’t disappoint you for sure.