Jaisalmer Travel Guide: Visit The Golden City of Rajasthan (2022)
Are you planning a fun getaway to some beautiful place but are unable to final your vacation destination? Do you wish to spend your vacation at a place which comprises of sprawling golden sand and plenty of lakes, royal havelis and a plethora of exciting sightseeing attractions? If your answer to all these questions is yes, then we have probably found out just the right vacation destination for you. Located in the colorful North Western Indian state of Rajasthan, is the city of Jaisalmer. Popularly known by the name of the ‘Golden City’, Jaisalmer is one of the top tourist places to visit in Rajasthan. If you are wondering how did the city got the name of the ‘Golden City’, then we would be pleased to tell you that it is because the city is a home to a plenty of golden sand dunes and abundant castles that are covered in golden honey sandstone. But if that makes you thinking that sightseeing and exploration in the city of Jaisalmer is just limited to desert adventures, then you are highly mistaken because some other things which makes this beautiful city a tourist hub of the state of Rajasthan include plethora of royal havelis, stunning lakes and ornate Jain temples that are located in its premises.
Are you still not so sure about travelling to Jaisalmer or wish to know more about it? If yes, then you have been lucky and have landed up at just the right page. In this Jaisalmer travel guide, we have gathered together some important information about the place. Continue reading!
History of Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
Talking about the history of this popular tourist city of Rajasthan, then it is believed that Jaisalmer traces its inception back to the 12th century in the pages of history. According to the history, the city was founded by Raja Rawal Jaisal of the Bhatti clan. It is said that Rawal Jaisal was the eldest heir of the Rawal of Deoraj but he was passed over for the throne of Lodurva and the younger half brother was crowned the king. Hence, Rawal Jaiswal was on the lookout for a new place to set up his own capital. It was during this time that he came across a lone sage, Eesul. When the sage got to know that Rawal Jaiswal was the descendent of the Yaduvanshi clan, then he told him about the prophecy by Lord Krishna according to which one day a descendant of his Yaduvanshi clan would find and establish a new kingdom at the same spot. It was in the year 1156 that a mud fort was constructed by Rawal Jaiswal and he named the place Jaisalmer, which literally translates to ‘The Hill Fort of Jaisal’. He declared the place his capital and soon the city became a prime spot owing to its great location. Since the city fell between the major trade routes that connected the country of India to Persia, Africa and Egypt, there is no doubt why Jaisalmer became a prime location so soon.
Why Should You Visit Jaisalmer, Rajasthan?
If you are a first – time traveller, then it is natural for you to be a bit cautious and hesitant while choosing your vacation destination. However, you don’t need to worry as we have prepared some quick pointers telling you why you should be visiting this top tourist place in Rajasthan. They are as follows:
- Golden City: One thing that sets apart this tourist place in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan from the others is its golden beauty. It is basically a desert town covered with beautiful golden sand. Since the Jaisalmer fort stands atop the city as a crown, it provides plenty of stunning views and add a contrast to the landscape. One can find plenty of camels here as well. Hence, if you are interested in some desert adventure in your vacation, then you will absolutely love your trip to Jaisalmer.
- Geological Interest: If you are someone who is deeply interested in geology, then Jaisalmer should be one of the top places to visit in Rajasthan in your wish list. At a distance of about just 15 km from the city, there is a wood fossil park or aakal located, where one can discover traces of geological tragedies that occurred in the famous Thar desert about 180 million years ago in the history.
- Festivals: The city is popular for its colorful festivals and vibrant traditions. One of the popular and exceptional festivals celebrated here is the Jaisalmer Desert Festival. This event is organised annually in February by the Rajasthan tourism development corporation in the vast Thar desert. During this festival, the local people dress up in their colorful traditional dresses and attires. There is a lot of singing, dancing, camel races, gymnastic arts, march from the Fort to the desert and many competitions such as tug of war, turban tying and so on.
- Thrilling Adventure: The best thing about visiting this popular tourist place in Rajasthan is that it offers its visitors a plethora of thrilling opportunities as well. For instance, camping in the desert under the starry sky and learning more about the culture and tradition of the place by interacting with the local people is one of the most loved adventure activities of Jaisalmer. Climbing on the camel saddle and exploring the sprawling golden sand of the desert is another thrilling desert experience that all adventure lovers will cherish.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Jaisalmer, Rajasthan?
Jaisalmer is one of the most popular tourist places to visit in Rajasthan and receives visitors from all over the country throughout the course of the year. However, if you are looking for the best time to visit, then it is recommended that you plan your trip somewhere in between the months of October and March. This is said to be the best time to visit Jaisalmer, because during this period the city experiences an extremely pleasant climate which is just perfect for sightseeing, exploration and adventure activities. You should avoid visiting the city during the summer season because since this popular tourist city of Rajasthan is situated right in the heart of the great Thar desert, the weather during the season is very dry and unbearably hot.
How To Reach Jaisalmer, Rajasthan?
It is natural for you to be concerned about facing travel issues or the means through which you can reach your vacation destination. In this Jaisalmer travel guide, we will be pleased to tell you that the place is well – connected with multiple modes of transport. You can reach it:
- By Air: There are a plenty of regular flights available from many major cities of India including Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai to Jodhpur. Interested visitors can also take connecting flights to reach the place from other cities of the country. Once you reach the Jodhpur airport, you can easily take a cab to reach Jaisalmer which is located at a distance of about 220 km from the airport. The journey is so picturesque that you will love it.
- By Rail: The city of Jaisalmer is well – connected with railways, especially with cities such as Jaipur, Delhi and Jodhpur. Some of the major trains that you can consider include ‘Delhi Jaisalmer Express, ‘Jodhpur Jaisalmer Express’ and many more. Once you reach the railway station, you can easily take an auto ride to reach your destination in the city.
- By Road: You will be pleased to know that Jaisalmer is well accessible via roadways as well from a plenty of nearby cities. There are several buses that also operate from many cities of the state like Jaipur and Jodhpur till Jaisalmer. Since the roads are well – maintained, you can even travel till Jaisalmer by person vehicle from nearby cities.
Popular Tourist Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
There are a plenty of sightseeing attractions located in Jaisalmer, which makes it one of the most popular tourist places in Rajasthan. Some of the top tourist places to visit in Jaisalmer include:
- Jaisalmer Fort: Also known by the name of Golden Fort or Sonar Quila, this fort constructed in pure classic style of the royals by local craftsmen is a world heritage site. Watching this historic fort during the time of sunset adds more charm and grandeur in its glory. This is undoubtedly one of the top tourist places to visit in Jaisalmer. Image Source
- Gadisar Lake: Constructed back in the 14th century by Maharawal Gadsi Singh, this lake which was initially built in order to meet the water needs of the arid lands today serves as a prime tourist attraction to visit in Jaisalmer. There are a plenty of small temples and shrines constructed around it, which makes it into a significant pilgrim centre too.
- Jain Temples: Situated right in the Jaisalmer fort itself, these Jain temples serve as an important tourist attraction in Jaisalmer. Not only these temples are ancient but have great religious significance too. Dedicated to Rikhabdevji and Shambhavdev Ji, several devotees from all over the country come to visit these temples.
Serving as the guard to the western Rajasthan as well as the country’s frontier, if Jaisalmer is your vacation destination, then you are in for spending one terrific vacation.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Jaisalmer
Q1. What can one shop in Jaisalmer?
Ans. The city is extremely popular for its colorful bazaars that sell a wide range of products including carpets, mirror – work bangles, garments, carpets, stonework products, silver jewellery, oil lamps and a lot more.
Q2. What are the top shopping markets in Jaisalmer?
Ans. Some of the popular markets of Jaisalmer which you can visit in your next trip are Manak Chowk, Pansari Bazaar, Bhatia Bazaar, Sonaron ka Baas and Seema Gram.
Q3. Is monsoon a good time to visit Jaisalmer?
Ans. Monsoon season is also a good time to visit Jaisalmer as during this period, you can get a good glimpse of the greenery growing on the otherwise arid land.