Taj Lake Palace: One of the Best Five-Star Luxury Heritage Hotel In Udaipur (2022)
If you are a fan of the royal history, rich culture, diverse tradition and colorful land of Rajasthan, then Udaipur is probably one of the best tourist places to visit in Rajasthan for you. Flooded with a plethora of exciting sightseeing attractions that range from serene lakes to mighty forts to grand palaces to colorful bazaars to natural beauty, there is absolutely no dull moment in Udaipur city.
As far as your vacation destination is Udaipur, then there is no better accommodation in Udaipur than the exquisite Taj Lake Palace. Once a stunning royal palace that served as the residence for the royal family of the place has now been turned into one of the most exclusive and luxurious accommodation for both millennials as well as Gen Z sapiens.
Overview of the Lake Palace, Udaipur
Well–known throughout the country for its enthralling beauty and architectural brilliance, the Taj Lake Palace overlooks the majestic Machla Hills, Jag Mandir and City Palace, thereby offering multiple majestic views of the beautiful natural surroundings. Situated right in the heart of the serene Pichola Lake on the extraordinary Jag Niwas island, Lake Palace is considered to be one of the most spectacular palaces of Udaipur. Not only is the entire palace made up entirely of pure white marbles giving it a spellbinding appearance but with the mighty Aravalli hills as the backdrop, the multiple beautiful fountains and the sprawling gardens, the charm of the palace is just out of the world. The brilliant architecture and the extraordinary structure of the Lake Palace is worth all the admiration and appreciation. Continue reading to know more about the palace!Image Source
History of the Lake Palace, Udaipur
Taking into account the multiple legends and rumours, the palace has a rich history and a fascinating story behind its past. Also known by the name of Jag Niwas, this exotic palace once served as a pleasure home for the great Maharaja of the Mewar dynasty, Maharaja Jagat Singh III. According to one of the legends, it is said that long back in the year 1743, once Maharana Jagat Singh requested his father Maharana Sangram Singh II that if he can live in the beautiful summer palace JagMandir to which, Maharana Sangram Singh II denied. In fact, the father further taunted his son saying that if he so desired to stay in an island palace, then he should get one built for himself. This taunt seemed to hurt the feelings of the son and taking the taunt seriously, Maharaja Jagat Singh decided to built for himself a pleasure palace on the island and named it ‘Jag Niwas’ which means the home of Maharana Jagat Singh. Later on, this palace served as the summer palace for many other members of the royal family too. Once a pleasure residence to the royal family, this exquisite floating palace has now been transformed into one of the best luxury heritage hotels in Udaipur. This is a five – star hotel that offers its visitors a similar kind of royal treatment that was received by the Maharajas of Udaipur back in the glorious era. It is believed that this stunning palace created by Maharana Jagat Singh II in about 1754 AD was converted into the luxury hotel by the year 1960 AD
Architecture of the Lake Palace, Udaipur
Taj Lake Palace is one architectural marvel with a unique structure that often leaves visitors speechless with its beauty. It is one grand place with over 65 rooms and about 18 grand suites, each of which showcasing the luxurious and classy interior décor. The palace is a home to a plethora of rooms, out of which some of the popular ones are Phool Mahal, Khush Mahal, Dhola Mahal, Bada Mahal and so on. All of these rooms are decked up with gorgeous paintings, green and pink lotus leaves of inland stones, crystal and stunning glass work, and so on. Other than that, the rooms also feature an intricately carved wooden furniture which compliment well the lavish silk fabrics, giving the place its charming vintage touch. You will also be pleased to know that every room of the palace is designed in a way to offer mesmerising lake views or garden views, thereby giving a soothing natural setting. Apart from the mesmerising rooms, grand suites, series of beautiful fountains and lush gardens, the Taj Lake Palace luxury hotel also boasts of housing two exclusive restaurants as well as a premium bar within the hotel premises which offer delicious and finger licking cuisines as well as drinks. Some of them that the Taj Lake Palace boasts of are as follows:
- Neel Kamal: This is one of the exceptional dining destinations located within the palace premises that is known to serve a delicious Rajasthani cuisine. Offering the real flavours of the traditional Rajasthani cuisine in a royal platter, the talented chefs of the restaurant even serve some of the North West frontier delights which are worth tasting.
- Bhairo: It is another excellent restaurant that not only offers its visitors a savouring taste of contemporary European dishes but being a rooftop restaurant also provides them the chance to witness some astonishing natural views. The presence of a traditional Jharokha that overlooks the serene Lake Pichola further enhances the scenic view.
- Amrit Sagar: Serving premium range of cocktails, wines, cigars, signature martinis and sheeshas, this is one classy bar which is the perfect place to visit in the palace to spice up your evenings. You will be pleased to know that the bar even boasts of holding a royal collection of premium international drinks.
Facilities at the Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur
Being one of the best five-star luxury heritage hotel in Udaipur, it is not much surprising that the facilities and services offered here are world – class. Retaining the traditional warm hospitality, the guests staying at the Taj Lake Palace are pampered well with a true royal treatment. Some of the many facilities which the guests staying at this stunning heritage hotel can avail include a 24 hour fitness centre, a grand shopping arcade, a business centre and a game room. As far as the rooms are concerned, apart from the classy décor, each of the room come featuring a flat – screen TV, a DVD player and bathrooms which are attached with modern equipment including bathtub, shower and all the other necessary toiletries. For further comfort, the guests can also avail butler service from their rooms. Another pleasing thing to know is that the guests get to enjoy free parking and free Wi-Fi service even at the restaurant. With all these range of top – class facilities and wonderful services, a stay at the Taj Lake Palace will surely be a memorable one.
Timings and Entry Fee of Lake Palace, Udaipur
Though the Lake Palace is undoubtedly one of the top tourist places to visit in Udaipur but being a luxury heritage hotel, there is not exactly any entry fee charged for entering the palace premises but you have to pay for staying at the hotel. The cost for the same will vary depending upon the kind of room you choose to stay at and the other facilities that you use during your stay at the hotel. Also, only the guests staying at the hotel are allowed to enter the place and enjoy its multiple luxurious facilities. As far as the timings of the hotel are concerned, according to the hotel policies, the check-in procedure for staying at the Taj Lake Palace starts from 2 PM and the check-out service is available till 12 PM.
How to Reach The Lake Palace, Udaipur?
As far as reaching the Lake Palace is concerned, you don’t have to stress yourself. This is one of the most popular luxury hotels in Udaipur and is easily accessible by multiple means of transports from many major cities throughout the country. Some of the best ways to reach the Lake Palace are:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach the Lake Palace is the Maharana Pratap Airport which is situated at a distance of just about 26 km from the palace. Once you reach the airport, as guests you can easily take a private cab or taxi service for a comfortable shuttle to and from the airport. It will take you about 40 minutes to reach the hotel from the airport.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach the Lake Palace is the Udaipur Railway station. This railway station is located just about 4 km away from the Lake Palace. Once you reach the station, you can easily take any local means of transport available to reach the hotel.
- By Road: There are a plenty of government run buses that will take you to the city. For instance, the transport corporation of Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh run AC as well as non-AC buses frequently.