Durgam Cheruvu (Secret Lake): Beautiful Tourist Place in Hyderabad (2022)
About Durgam Cheruvu or Secret Lake
Situated at a distance of 15 km off Hyderabad, Durgam Cheruvu Lake or Secret Lake, as it is commonly known is believed to be one of the most beautiful tourist places in Hyderabad. Durgam Cheruvu is also known as Raidurgam Cheruvu. You can find this hidden treasure nestled somewhere between Madhapur and Jubilee Hills. Surrounded by granite from all sides and hidden by rock formations, this lake is a perfect spot for the nature lover to admire the nature’s glory at its best. The construction of the lake dates back to millions of years ago in history and it is also believed that the lake used to provide drinking water to the inhabitants of the Golconda Fort during the reign of Qutub Shahi Dynasty. Apart from having historical significance, Durgam Cheruvu is today considered as one of the most picturesque spots of Hyderabad. There are multiple boating options available here including mechanized boats, water scooters and pedal boats. The serene waters of the lake allow you to unwind all the stress and spend some quality time sitting in the lap of nature. You may not know but Durgam Cheruvu is also known to feature a floating fountain as well as mesmerising artificial waterfall. These two key features of the place, attracts travellers from all parts of the country. It is also a preferred tourist place in Hyderabad, especially for the travellers interested in fishing. Other than the floating fountain and artificial waterfall, you can also find a rock garden as well as an amphitheatre here. Due to its picturesque quality and scenic surroundings, the lake often becomes a popular spot for filming location in Hyderabad. Want to know more about this gorgeous place? If yes, continue reading!
Best Time To Visit Durgam Cheruvu:
Ideally, the winter season is considered to be the best time to explore Durgam Cheruvu or Secret Lake, the beautiful tourist spot of Hyderabad. Starting from the month of November till February, the weather here remains cool and pleasant which is perfect for both sightseeing as well as shopping. You can also visit Durgam Cheruvu or Secret Lake between October and March but you should strictly avoid going between May and July, because then the weather is extremely humid and warm.
Places You Can Visit Nearby Durgam Cheruvu:
When visiting Durgam Cheruvu, you don’t have to restrict your whole day for just this place. There are many amazing tourist places in Hyderabad which lie in close proximity to the lake. Some of them are:
1. Shilparaman: This is a popular art and craft village that attracts travellers for its rich traditional as well as cultural heritage. Here you can explore village huts made of thatch and clay. There is a rock garden to visit here as well.
Distance from Durgam Cheruvu: 3.4 km
2. Hyderabad Botanical Gardens: Situated in Kothaguda forest, these botanical garden sprawl over 120 acres of lush green land. Boasting of several ornamental trees, aquatic plants, medicinal plants as well as magnificent rocks, water reservoirs and verdant meadows, this is a perfect spot for every nature lover.
Distance from Durgam Cheruvu: 4.6 km
3.Lotus Pond: Situated in Jubilee Hills, this water body attracts visitors from all over the country because of its diverse variety of flora and lush greenery. You can go for a leisure walk around the pond and even watch over 20 bird species. This place proves to be a perfect picnic spot.
Distance from Durgam Cheruvu: 6.5 km
Entry Fee at Durgam Cheruvu or Secret Lake:
You would be pleased to know that visitors are not charged even a single penny for visiting this picture – perfect beauty. However, if you plan to go for boating, then you will be charged. Depending on the boating option you choose, the price will vary. Usually for adults the boat rides will cost approximately between Rs. 25 to Rs. 100. While for kids, the approximate price varies between Rs. 10 and Rs. 100.
Opening Hours: You don’t have to do much planning or rescheduling to fit Durgum Cheruvu in your itinerary because the place is open for visitors from 10 AM to 6.30 PM on every day of the week.
Places To Eat Nearby Durgam Cheruvu:
There are several nice restaurants near this one of the most beautiful tourist places in Hyderabad, where you get the chance to not only enjoy your meal but also the pretty surroundings. Some of them are:
- Olive Bistro & Bar: This is a white – walled bungalow where you get to relish good food and wine while admiring tranquil settings. The menu here offers authentic Mediterranean flavours, tasty appetizers and numerous lip – smacking snacks. Food would surely taste better here! Image Source
- Sambal: Those who are craving for some authentic Indonesian food dishes, there can be no better option for you than Sambal. There are a wide variety of dishes available here including fresh seafood, chicken and mutton appetizers, fish, finger licking prawn masala, range of noodles as well as plenty of mocktails as well as drinks.
- Kaficko: If you are someone who prefers eating English breakfast, then you must definitely go here. Serving crepes, breakfast sandwich, grilled toast, range of omelets, eggs Benedict and appetizers such as chicken wings with BBQ sauce, salads and soups, the food here is outstanding. You can order full plate meals and some yummy desserts here too.
- Country Oven: This place is especially renowned for its wide range of pastries such as mango, eggless chocolate truffle, orange, butterscotch and so on. Other than pastries and cakes, you can also get delicious as well as spicy snacks here including garlic cheese toast, grilled chicken sandwich, burgers, pizzas, hot dogs and much more.
- Away from the noise, crowd and concrete jungle of the city, it is nothing short of a dream come true. The expansive lush green landscapes even boast of offering stunning boating spots as well as fun activities such as trekking and camping. So, no matter whether you go here with your friends or family, this spot will prove to be one of the ideal tourist places in Hyderabad for you!