Mecca Masjid of Hyderabad: Most Popular Heritage Spots To Visit in Hyderabad (2022)
About Mecca Masjid:
Located on the Charminar Road in Hyderabad, Mecca Masjid is one of the most popular heritage spots to visit in the city and attracts thousands of visitors every year. After being commissioned by Muhammad Quli Qutub Shah, the fifth ruler of the Qutub Shahi dynasty in the year 1614, the mosque was completed in 1694. According to a popular belief, this mosque has been named after Mecca from where the soil was brought for the foundation here. Shah is often believed to have laid the foundation stone himself. Also known as Makkah Masjid, this mosque has the ability to accommodate as many as 10,000 people at a time. The breathtaking architecture here along with its rich history will simply blow your mind. The mosque is also home to a hair that originally belonged to Prophet Muhammad. The Mecca Masjid also found a place in the travelogue of French traveler Jean-Baptiste Tavernier who was in Hyderabad during its construction. He went on to write, ‘it is about 50 years since they began to build a splendid pagoda in the town which will be the grandest in all India when it is completed.’
Located a stone’s throw away from the Charminar, the Mecca Masjid was built with local granite and completed under the rulership of Aurangzeb. Being one of the largest mosques in the country, Mecca Mosque adorns itself with an arched gallery where you can see various tombs of all the Nizams who ruled in 1803. Having a height of 75 feet, this mosque has its roof rested on 15 arches. Besides being embellished with beautifully patterned walls, this mosque adorns its arches with different verses of the Holy Quran. During your visit to Hyderabad, this is one of the must-visit monuments that you simply can’t miss! Constructed with the help of 8000 laborers, this mosque adds to its beauty with stone benches and ponds of water as well. It is believed that a person will return to sit on these benches again after sitting on them once. In this article, you will get to know more about the timings of Mecca Masjid, how to reach, lesser-known facts about it, places to visit around Mecca Masjid, and much more.
How to Reach The Mecca Masjid?
There are quite a few ways to reach the Mecca Masjid, depending on where you are coming from. Here are some of the best ways which you can follow to reach the mosque:
By Air: If you are traveling to Hyderabad from another country or state, you should consider opting for flight. The distance between Mecca Masjid and the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport is 19.2 km which can be easily covered in 40-45 minutes.
By Bus: Because of being located within close proximity to the Charminar bus stand, it is very convenient to reach the mosque by bus.
By Cab: If you are traveling from another part of the city, you can definitely get a cab and travel to the mosque at ease.
By Rail: You should be arriving at the Kachiguda railway station which is roughly 6.5 km away from the mosque. After arriving at the station, you can simply get a cab or auto-rickshaw to reach the mosque.
What Should You See At The Mecca Masjid?
As you already know, Mecca Masjid is one of the best architectural marvels that the country has. During your visit here, you shouldn’t miss certain things which are listed below:
- Beautifully Designed Arches: Don’t miss the 15 intricately designed arches during your visit to the Mecca Masjid. 5 of these arches are built on the three different walls here.
- Belgian Crystal Chandeliers: Ask anyone who has visited the Mecca Masjid. They will tell you how beautifully the mosque ceilings have been adorned with Belgian crystal chandeliers. Mecca Masjid is also home to ancient relics and artifacts which are kept inside a room located in the courtyard. What you will also find amazing here are the five passageways and tombs which are believed to have belonged to the Asif Jahi dynasty.
- High Blocking Wall for Mehrab: The mosque also decorates itself with a high blocking wall which is located on the western side for Mehrab. This part is also home to two huge octagonal columns which are believed to have been created from a single granite piece. This wall has an arched gallery along with a dome on it.
- The Sacred Relic: Mecca Masjid is also believed to be home to a sacred relic of the Prophet. According to a popular story, Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah invited religious elders in the entire city and laid the foundation himself when none came forward. This holy mosque attracts Muslim worshippers from different parts of the country.
- Carved Verses of Quran: You will find different verses of the Quran carved on both doors as well as arches. The mosque also adorns itself with cornices and floral motifs which reflect different aspects of Mecca Masjid. The design of the arches is quite similar to those at the Charminar and the Golconda Fort.
Mecca Masjid Timings and Entry Fee
There is no entry fee at the Mecca Masjid. Timings of the mosque given below:
Monday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Tuesday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Wednesday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Thursday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Friday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Saturday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Sunday: 4 AM to 9:30 PM
Address: Here is the Full Address of the Mecca Masjid:
Laad Bazaar Rd, Khilwat, Charminar, Hyderabad, Telangana, 500002, India
Best Places to Stay Near the Mecca Masjid
While there are plenty of hotels within the close vicinity of the Mecca Masjid, here are some of the best places to see near the mosque.
1. Royalton Hyderabad Abids: Located 6.6 km away from the Mecca Masjid, Royalton Hyderabad Abids is one of the topmost decent hotels in this area. All the rooms here have been tastefully decorated and adorned with facilities such as flat-screen cable television, minibar, tea/coffee maker, and private bathrooms as well. You will also find a gym and a spa here. The on-site restaurant here unravels the best opportunity for you to taste both Indian and international delicacies.
Location: 5-9-208/2, Off, Chapel Rd, Chirag Ali Lane, Abids, Hyderabad, Telangana 500001, India
Phone Number: +91 40 6712 2000
Price: INR 2100 to INR 7200 per night
2. FabHotel Royal Residency Lakdikapul: Located 7.8 km away from the Mecca Masjid, FabHotel Royal Residency Ladikapul is known for offering modern accommodation options at pocket-friendly prices. The property adorns itself with facilities such as 24-hour front desk, and room services while the rooms come with a flat-screen TV, kettle, shower, hairdryer, and a desk. You will also get a continental or a la carte breakfast here every morning.
Location: 11-5-430, Red Hills Rd, Red Hills, Lakdikapul, Hyderabad, Telangana 500004, India
Phone Number: +91 70424 24242
Price: INR 1400 to INR 2500 per night
3. Treebo Tryst Wood Bridge: Located approximately 5 km away from the Mecca Masjid, Treebo Tryst Wood Bridge is another accommodation option that you should take a look at. This property takes pride in having aesthetically designed rooms that come with air conditioning and private bathrooms as well. You will also get to enjoy modern amenities such as flat-screen TV, 24-hour front desk, room service, etc. Don’t miss the buffet breakfast served here every morning.
Location: AC Guards Rd, Red Hills, Lakdikapul, Hyderabad, Telangana 500004, India
Phone Number: +91 93228 00100
Price: INR 2000 to INR 3000 per night
Places to Visit Near The Mecca Masjid
As you visit the Mecca Masjid, make sure that you visit the nearby places in one go. Not only this will help you save time but also make your trip to Hyderabad even more memorable and enjoyable.
Charminar: Located at a stone’s throw away from the Mecca Masjid, Charminar on the banks of River Musi unravels the best opportunity for you to witness one of the finest historical landmarks in the city. Believed to have been built by Mohammed Quli Qutub Shahi for commemorating the end of a deadly plague, this monument adorns itself with Indo-Islamic architecture along with Parsian elements. Mir Momin Astarabadi of the Qutb Shah dynasty played a key role in creating the design and layout of the Charminar. The four towers here depict four directions which were created for administrative purposes.
Location: Charminar Rd, Char Kaman, Ghansi Bazaar, Hyderabad, Telangana 500002, India
Chowmahalla Palace: Located roughly 350 meter away from the Mecca Masjid, the Chowmahalla Palace is one of the most popular palaces in the city. Presenting the best way for you to soak in the glory of the past, this palace was built in the 18th century. Spread over 12 acres, this palace was completed during the rulership of Afzar-ud-Daulah, Asaf Jav V, the fifth Nizam. The palace consists of four palaces i.e. Mahtab Mahal, Aftab Mahal, Tahniyat Mahal, and Afzal Mahal. During your visit here, don’t miss the Shishe-Alat located in the courtyard.
Location: 20-4-236, Motigalli, Khilwat, Hyderabad, Telangana 500002, India
Salar Jung Museum: Located 3.5 km away from the Mecca Masjid, the Salar Jung Museum is undoubtedly one of the top places to visit near the mosque. After being opened by the then Prime Minister Jawharlal Nehru in 1968, this museum is known for being home to various antiques and artifacts collected by Mir Yoursuf Ali Khan who collected these from places across the globe. You will find various kinds of art here including Indian Art, Far Eastern Art, European Art, Children Art, Middle Eastern Art, etc.
Location: Salar Jung Rd, near Minar Function Hall, Darulshifa, Hyderabad, Telangana 500002, India