Central Assam Tourism: Top Destinations To Explore In Central Assam & FAQs (2022)
With a unique combination of abundant natural beauty and diverse history, Assam is one of the precious hidden treasures which India boasts of housing. Comprising of many less explored regions of the country, the place has a pure and untouched aura associated with it. A land of dense forests, mighty rivers, sprawling beautiful tea plantations and natural wonders, located in North East India, Assam acts as one wonderful vacation destination for almost all kind of travellers. Boasting of immense scenic beauty and vibrant cultures, it is one of the most enchanting state of the North East India. Talking about the Central Assam region specifically, it plays a significant role in increasing the overall tourism for the state of Assam. Made up of districts such as Dima Hasao, Karbi Anglong, Marigaon, Nagaon and Hojai, Central Assam boasts of housing many sightseeing attractions and wildlife tours that prove to provide every traveller a relaxing holiday. If you are also planning a vacation to Central assam region, then you have arrived at just the right place. In this Central Assam travel guide, we have collected a lot of important information which you must know before visiting the place. Continue reading to know more!
Why Should You Visit the Region of Central Assam?
As a significant part of Assam tourism, many people love coming to the Central Assam region to know more about the tribal culture and witness picturesque natural beauty of the place. If you are someone who is wishing to take a break from your worries of everyday life and spend some relaxing moments in natural serenity, then a holiday to Central Assam region is what you need. Those of you who are still hesitant and want to know why exactly should you visit this place, then in this Central Assam Travel Guide we have made some quick pointers for each of the districts that combine to form the region of central assam. They will help you to make up your mind easily. They are as follows:
Being a home to Pokhi Tirtha which is a hub of migratory birds, the Nagaon district attracts a huge number of bird watchers. You will be pleased to know that this district in Central Assam is also popular for being the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardeva who was the founder of Vasignavism in Assam. Other than this, the place also boasts of housing some big and small waterfalls in its premises.
Morigaon is another popular must – visit place of Central Assam. Well – known for being the largest dry fish market in the whole continent of Asia, you may hear people referring to this district by the name of Sitajakhala too. This is because, it is believed that the place was the home of pregnant Sita. One can find a large variety of historical temples in the region as well. There is a beautiful ancient temple located on Kachasila Hill that is estimated to date back to about 9th century and hence is a significant place to visit in the region.
Another thing that attracts a lot of tourists to Central Assam region is located in Jatinga, a part of the Dima Hasao district. This particular place is known as the suicide point of birds but it acts as an exciting destination of the district. Other than that, this district even boasts of a plethora of scenic places to visit.
Even the Karbi Anglong district also boasts of being a home to a series of top sightseeing attractions. A visit to this district will keep you busy, engaged and entertained with its numerous sightseeing places.
What Are The Top Destinations To Explore In The Region Of Central Assam?
1. Nagaon: Located in the beautiful state of Assam amidst scenic landscapes, sprawling lush green meadows and stunning water bodies, Nagaon is one of the most spectacular destination to visit in the region of Central Assam. Being a home to a vast variety of flora and fauna, this place is perfect for all the nature and wildlife lovers. For a memorable experience, interested wildlife enthusiasts can even go for wildlife tours.
One of the most prominent attraction of Nagaon in Central Assam is the world – famous Kaziranga National park. Other than that, the district of Nagaon also boasts of housing several monasteries and river ports. You may not know but Nagao happens to be one of the most populous districts of the state and is often referred as the Rice Bowl.
- Popular Attractions To Visit in Nagaon, Central Assam: Kaziranga National Park, Akashiganga waterfall, Samantagiri, Pokhi Tirtha, Madhab Than
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 114 km away
- Places to stay: Hotel Nagaon Point, Hotel Natraj, Hotel Piyush Regency
- Highlight of the place: Wildlife sanctuaries, national parks, natural beauty
- Best Time To Visit Nagaon in Central Assam: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit this beautiful place during either the winter or autumn season.
2. Morigaon: Surrounded by multiple attractive tourist spots, Morigaon is one of the most peaceful and loved vacation destination in the region of Central Assam. Situated on the northern banks of the mighty river Brahmaputra, the place offers its visitors a chance to admire several stunning views. The kind of attractions located here are pretty diverse. You can find almost everything ranging from wildlife sanctuaries to temples and even markets. The place boasts of housing the largest dry fish market in the entire Asian continent. A lot of people love inspecting the unique fishes in this fish market. Other than that, another exclusive feature that catches the attention of travellers is the several festivals and cultural events that are organised in the district of Morigaon.
- Popular Attractions To Visit: Pabitora wildlife sanctuary, Kachasila Hill, Sitajakhala, Deosal Siva Temple, Patekibori Than
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 70.2 km away
- Places to stay: Hotel Kailash, The Fern Residency, Adityas Hotel Centre Point
- Highlight of the Place: Wildlife sanctuaries, culture, natural beauty, Asia’s largest dry fish market
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip to Morigaon in between the months of November and February.
3. Dima Hasao: Located in the state of Assam, Dima Hasao is one of the most popular travel destinations to visit in the region of Central Assam. Nestled amidst the mighty hills, this beautiful destination is flooded with scenic beauty, stunning landscape and cultural values. It is owing to its mesmerising natural beauty only, that the place is often lovingly described by its visitors ‘Switzerland of the East’. You may not know but the place was previously known as the North Cachar Hill district. The current name Dima Hasao comes from Dimasa language and it literally translates to Dimasa hills. Comprising of plenty of mighty hills, stunning waterfalls, scenic rivers and cultural hotspots, this place is an all – time high tourist hot spot.
- Popular attractions to visit: Haflong, Jatinga, Umrangsco, Panimur, Laisong, Hajong, Maibang
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 265.7 km away
- Places to stay: Hotel Excellence, Hotel Elite, Hotel Landmark, Eastern Hotel, Hotel Nilambar
- Highlight of the place: Natural beauty, bird’s suicide point in Jatinga, plethora of sightseeing attractions
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you visit this beautiful place in the winter months as the weather is pleasant and there is scanty rainfall.
4. Karbi Anglong: Originally known by the name of Mikir Hills, Karbi Anglong is one of the largest districts in the state of Assam and hence also a popular tourist spot in the region of Central Assam. With its rolling hills, stunning waterfalls, peaceful streams, lush green forests and soothing rivers, the place manages to capture the hearts of its visitors in just first visit. It is a highly underrated gems of the state which is yet not much explored and hence has its beauty intact. Mainly inhabited by the tribal people, visitors can also get to learn a lot about the tribal culture and lifestyle from visiting Karbi Anglong. The diverse variety of flora and fauna along with the stunning scenic beauty makes it nothing short of a paradise for all the nature lovers. Karbi Anglong also provides trekking opportunities.
- Popular Attractions To Visit: Umwang, Amreng, Garampani Wildlife Sanctuary, Khanduli, Kohora tourist centre
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 241.4 km away
- Places to stay: Radisson Blu Hotel, Hotel Grand Majesty, Mayflower Hotel
- Highlight of the place: Natural beauty, trekking opportunities, tribal culture, diverse variety of flora and fauna
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip in between the months of October and March.
No matter whether you are going on a solo trip, a romantic trip with your special someone or on a relaxing trip with your friends and family, as long as the destination you are going to is Central Assam, you are bound to have a gala time. Have a memorable and fun Central Assam vacation!
FAQ’s for Tourists Planning to Visit Central Assam
Q1. Who Should Visit Central Assam?
Ans. Central Assam is a perfect place to visit for all kinds of travellers including nature lovers, wildlife enthusiasts, cultural and religious people and so on.
Q2. Is Central Assam Safe To Visit?
Ans. Yes, if you take the general safety precautions, then the place is actually safe.
Q3. What Is The Best Time To Visit Assam?
Ans. The general best time to visit the state of Assam is from October to March.