Visit Mayong Village: An Exceptional Tourist Place To Visit In Assam (2021)
Are you a fan of fantasy fiction or someone who believes that magic does not exist in reality? No matter whichever group you belong to, the Mayong village located in the beautiful Morigaon district of the North Eastern State of Assam will be a delight to visit for you. You may not believe but Mayong village which is situated on the banks of the mighty river Brahmaputra, is a land of magic and witchcraft. So, if you thought that you could take the pleasure of Hogwarts only in the Harry Potter books and movies, then Mayong in Assam will come as a pleasant surprise for you. No, we are not kidding. Mayong Village or Mayang, as it is commonly known as, this village is located at a distance of just about 40 km from the city of Guwahati and is a common tourist place to visit in Assam, for those people who wish to go on the offbeat path. If you are still not able to completely digest the idea of a land of magic and witchcraft existing in reality, then you must continue reading because in this article, we have researched well and brought for you some exciting and interesting information about this exceptional tourist place to visit in Assam.
What Makes The Mayong Village Special?
Located in the beautiful Morigaon district, Mayong is one untouched village which is mainly popular and commonly known for being the centre of black magic and sorcery in the country of India for several long centuries. It is said that in this village things like witchcraft, necromancy and sorcery were not considered as just practices but were treated as valuables which were passed down from one generation to another. One can even find the local folklore and many ancient scriptures such as the Mahabharata that validate the connection of Mayong village with practices such as black magic and witchcraft. You will be surprised to know that archaeological discovery of several weapons as well as sharp objects in the area, give a hint towards human sacrifices as well. Yes, the news often makes people of today feel a bit uneasy but it was considered as a common practice once upon a time.
What Is The History Of The Mayong Village?
Though there are many stories about the unique name of the village but according to a popular belief, it is said that the origin of the name has been taken from the Sanskrit word ‘Maya’ which literally means illusions. According to another belief, it is said that this area was inhabited by the Manipuris from the Moirang clan, hence the name of the place became Mayong from Moirang over a period of time. Other than finding mention in several mythological epics such as the Mahabharata, it is also believed that Chief Ghatotkacha of the Kachari Kingdom also took part in the great battle of Mahabharata with his magical powers. As far as the history of Mayong village is concerned, several evidences have pointed out that Narabali or human sacrifices have been carried out at this place in connection with the worship of Goddess Shakti until the early modern periods. Another popular historical incident associated with the place happened in the year 1337 when Mohammad Shah wanted to usurp the state of Assam with the help of their 1 lakh trained horsemen. However, the people of the mystical Mayong village used their powerful black magic powers and vanished all the horsemen and soldiers from their land. It is due to these unique incidents and rich history, that Mayong in Assam has gained popularity among a large group of travellers.
Who All Should Visit The Mayong Village?
Mayong Village located in the North Eastern state of Assam is not one of your everyday tourist places. It holds a whole lot of dark secrets, magic, unique history and an eerie past. Hence, not all tourists essentially include Mayong in their itinerary. However, if you are someone who is an adventure by spirit and wish to explore the unexplored places, then Mayong village should be a must – visit tourist place in Assam for you. Owing to its mysterious history and black magic past, the place has managed to ignite a lot of curiosity and catch the attention of a wide number of travellers. Many history buffs, adventure enthusiasts, offbeat travellers, curious souls and people fascinated by black magic often end up visiting this unique village in Assam.
What Can You Do In The Mayong Village?
Though the place is a bit unique, that does not mean that your trip to this village in Morigaon district will be boring or dull. As soon as you step into this village, you would feel as if you were entering a fantasy movie in real life. This mystical town which is still rumoured to be the abode of witches and magicians is nothing short of a hidden treasure for explorers and curious souls. If you are genuinely curious and wish to know more about the instances and secrets of the past, then you can even interact with the local people. There are many stories and accounts of people vanishing or locals converting into animals, fatal diseases being cured and beasts being tamed almost miraculously, that have been associated with the Mayong village since long. Though the authenticity of these stories can’t be tested, having a first-hand experience of the place will not be something that you will be able to forget easily. Interacting with the local people is also going to give you some incredible magic tricks and strange stories. If you are lucky you can also witness the magical treatment of diseases by local healers and witch doctors. Also, this may come as another surprise but Mayong is not just a centre of black magic but also of Palmistry, Ayurveda and future predictions with the help of chants and spells. If you believe in the mystical world and similar practices, there will be a lot for you to do and explore in Mayong village.
What Are The Popular Places To Visit In And Around The Mayong Village?
If you were thinking that the only thing you can do in Mayong village is explore your mystical surroundings, learn magic tricks, know medicinal healings and interact with local people, then you are highly mistaken. The mystical town of Mayong village in Assam has a lot more to offer than just magic and witchcraft. Some of the popular places for you to visit in and around the Mayong village are as follows:
- Probitora Wildlife Sanctuary: This ancient land also boasts of housing a rich wildlife. So, if you are a wildlife lover or wish to explore natural surroundings, then you should definitely visit the Probitora Wildlife Sanctuary. Located nearby Mayong village, the Probitora wildlife sanctuary is one of the top tourist places to visit in Assam, for everyone and anyone. The place is mainly popular for being a home to the largest population of the one – horned rhinoceros in the entire world. You are bound to have a gala time here.
- Mayong Central Museum and Emporium: For all the history buffs and curious souls who are not satisfied by just interacting with the local people and wish to know more about the exceptional village of Mayong, this central museum and emporium in Mayong is a must – visit place for you. Established in the year 2002, since its inception the Mayong central museum has never failed to impress its visitors. It is an actually informative place housing several archaeological remains, ancient artefacts as well as plenty of books that are associated with black magic, Ayurveda and witchcraft. Exploring all these is a delight for any traveller.
What Is The Best Time To Visit The Mayong Village?
The Mayong Village located in the Morigaon district of Assam welcomes visitors from all over the country throughout the course of year. If you are looking for the best experience, then it is highly recommended that you plan your trip to Mayong Village in the months of winter season. During this season, the weather here is pleasant and a bit cool, which proves perfect for all the sightseeing and exploration that you would want to do in this village.
How to Reach the Mayong Village?
Mayong village is well-connected from almost all means of transports, hence you can reach it easily. You can reach Mayong village by:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach the Mayong village is located in Guwahati city. The Guwahati International Airport is situated at a distance of about 60 km from the Mayong village. From the airport you can take a cab to reach the place.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach the Mayong village is the Jagi road railway station which is located at a distance of about 29 km away. You can reach the village from the railway station easily by taking a cab or an auto rickshaw.
- By Road: If you are travelling by road, then you would be pleased to know that the Mayong Village is well – accessible via road as well from Guwahati. It is located at a distance of just about 40 km from the village.
Hence, one can say that lying on the banks of the river Brahmaputra, Mayong was once considered as the cradle of black magic in India but you don’t have to worry about encountering something weird there now. Owing to its unique history, the place has emerged as a popular tourist place to visit in Assam.