Visit Giroudhpuri Dham in Chhattisgarh: Major Attractions In and Around Giroudpuri Dham (2021)
When it comes to visiting pilgrimage sites in India, one state which figures in the list is Chhattisgarh. The pilgrimage sites in Chhattisgarh are famous not just among Indians but also international tourists. One of the most popular sites in Chhattisgarh is the Giroudpuri Dham, an everlasting monument of the Satnami sect. You will find the world’s tallest Jaitkham here which has made this site a must-visit for Indians as well as foreigners.
The Giroudpuri Dham is considered as one of the must-visit religious sites in Chhattisgarh. Located at a distance of approximately 80 km from Bilaspur, this stunning site is situated at the confluence of the two rivers – Mahanadi and Jonk. One of the major reasons behind the popularity of this site is the fact that it is the birthplace of Shri Guru Ghasidas, the founder of Chhattisgarh’s Satnami Panth. The Jaitkham’s location is such that it allows its visitors the perfect platform to appreciate the surrounding area’s lush greenery and the stunning beauty of nature.
Giroudpuri Dham – History
Giroudpuri Dham is a place which is deeply embedded into history and spirituality. Being the birthplace of Shri Guru Ghasidas, it is no wonder why tourists from India and outside, especially those who are on a spiritual journey, visit this magnificent religious site.
The divine saint, Shri Guru Ghasidas was born to a farmer and had a very humble background. The saint’s ‘seat’ is located right next to the Jaitkham. As a devotee himself, the saint had performed severe penance for a long time to attain self-realization. This penance was undertaken by him under the Auradhara tree. The place where he used to worship is today known as ‘tapobhumi’.
Major Attractions In and Around Giroudpuri Dham
The two major attractions that people who visit Giroudpuri Dham must experience are the Giroudpuri Mela and Amrit Kund.
- Giroudpuri Mela – The area and people of Giroudpuri have a rich culture and beautiful traditions. The Giroudpuri Mela is the perfect event to experience the vibrant culture and it is highly recommended that visitors plan a trip to Giroudpuri Dham during this mela. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience which should not be missed out on if possible. During this mela, visitors can also take part in a puja ceremony where all the participants wear white clothes while performing the rituals.
- Amrit Kund – The Amrit Kund has a very fascinating story. Located at a distance of just 1 km from Giroudpuri Dham, it is believed that Amrit Kund is one of the most special places worth visiting. According to the local legend, during ancient times, there was an acute shortage of drinking water in the area. Though the authorities undertook various steps, the problem persisted. Even when water became available, it was considered unfit for drinking. Seeing the miserable plight of the people in the area, a local saint decided to help them. Using his divine powers, he touched the side of a hillock with his toe and removed some of the rubble from there. To everyone’s disbelief, a fountain of sweet, cool, and drinkable water gushed out from the very spot! This drinkable water was later stored in a kund which is today popularly known as the Amrit Kund.
How to Reach Giroudpuri Dham?
Below are some more details on how you can reach Giroudpuri Dham from different parts of India, using different modes of transportation. Ideally, you can travel by air, train, or road.
- By Air: The Raipur Airport, i.e., the Swami Vivekananda Airport (RPR) is the closest airport to Giroudpuri Dham and it is located about 130-150 km away. This airport is well-connected to most of the cities in India as there are a number of air carriers which operate to and from this airport. This well-routed network of flights makes it really easy to reach this pilgrimage site. Once you reach the airport, you will need to book a public transport to take you to Giroudpuri Dham. Surat – You can take an Indigo flight from Surat Airport to reach the Raipur Airport. Your airfare will cost anywhere between INR 5,000 to INR 10,000. Guwahati – You can either board an Indigo flight or an AirAsia flight from the Guwahati Airport and reach your destination. The price of the ticket ranges between INR 5,000 to INR 10,000. Dimapur – People travelling from Dimapur Airport can board an Indigo flight to reach the Raipur Airport. Your air ticket will be in the range of INR 4,000 to INR 6,000.
- By Train: There are quite a few railway stations located at a distance of about 100-120 km from Giroudpuri Dham. These railway stations include Bilaspur, Mahasamund, and Bhatapara. Among these, the Bilaspur Junction is considered to be more well-connected to other towns and cities in India. Once you reach any of the stations, you will need to book a local public transport to take you to Giroudpuri Dham.
- By Road: Chhattisgarh has a good road network and it is well-connected to most of the cities and towns in India. You can easily board any state or private-run bus service from nearby cities, towns, or districts and reach Giroudpuri Dham. The prices of the bus tickets are quite affordable and of course much cheaper than a flight ticket. Because of its good road connectivity, you can also hire a private taxi or travel in your own car or on your bike to reach this pilgrimage site.
If you are travelling from Bilaspur, you can take the NH 49. The distance is approximately 80 km.
If you are travelling from Raipur, take the NH 130B and you will have to cover a distance of about 129 km.
If you are travelling from Raigarh, then you can take the NH 49. The distance to be covered is about 115 km.
If you are planning a religious trip to Chhattisgarh, then you must definitely not miss out on visiting Giroudpuri Dham.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Girodhpuri Dhami
Q1. What Is The Best Time To Visit Giroudhpuri Dhami?
Ans. The best time to visit Giroudhpuri Dhami is post monsoon. This time is paradise for tourists who visit this place.
Q2. How Can One Navigate Through Giroudhpuri Dhami?
Ans. One can travel in government run buses, auto rickshaws or cabs. The place is quite well connected to the nearest airport, railway station and bus stops too.
Q3. What Are The Major Attractions At Giroudhpuri Dhami?
Ans. There are two major attraction at Giroudhpuri Dham, the Giroudhpuri Mela and the Amrit Kund.