5 Best Spots for Scuba Diving in Goa (2022)
Well – known for its exhilarating nightlife, serene beaches, crazy clubs, thrilling casinos, classic natural beauty, and wild beach parties, Goa is one of those Indian states which reserves a place in the bucket list of every traveler, since their teenage years. It is the very definition of being carefree and partying hard having the best time of your life.
You may be attracted to Goa because of its sandy beaches but with these pretty beaches comes a whole new and exciting marine world that is waiting to be explored under the crashing waves. Over the past few years, the Goa has turned into one of the most popular places for scuba diving in the country and has managed to attract plenty of underwater adventure enthusiasts as well as water babies from all over the country. The best part is that the state has a plethora of exciting places to offer for this exotic adventure, so you can rest assured of getting many options to choose the one that excites you the most. For those who are planning to research the best spots for scuba diving in Goa, we have good news for you.
5 Best Spots for Scuba Diving in Goa
In this article, we have already shortlisted some of the top ones for you!
1. Calangute Beach
If you are planning on exploring the Northern region of Goa, the Calangute beach will prove to be the best beach for scuba diving in Goa. This stunning beach is not just popular for its natural beauty but also renowned for its exquisite scuba diving experience. When here you get a chance to dive deep in the refreshing waters to explore the beautiful and fascinating underwater denizens. You will be pleased to know that the underwater world at Calangute beach boasts of having plenty of colorful corals and a vast variety of other underwater animals which will surely captivate your heart and enhance your experience. In fact, if you are lucky, then you may even be able to spot some enchanting dolphins at the location. You don’t have to worry about safety too, because the scuba diving experience here is backed up by expert divers as well as adequate safety equipment.
- Fun fact: If you are interested, there are a number of operators present here who conduct scuba diving courses too. Students get proper professional training in scuba diving and on successful completion are even awarded a certificate. Students even get the chance of indulging in underwater photography and can even record videos of stunning marine life.
- Other activities you can do here: There are several other interesting and thrilling water sports that you can engage in including jet skiing, kayaking, parasailing, etc.
2. Grande Island
Owing to its immense popularity among travelers and adventure junkies, this mesmerizing beach is often regarded as one of the best spots for scuba diving in South Goa. In fact, many people from all over the world, often frequent this alluring exotic island especially to observe and admire the beautiful underwater marine creatures like sea urchins, lobsters, turtles, fishes, sea cucumbers, and coral reefs. Also known by the name of Bat island, usually divers along with their instructors reach Grande Island by sailing aboard a yacht or a bat from the Bogmalo beach, which is the nearest beach. One of the main reasons why so many people say that Grande beach offers the best scuba diving experience in Goa is because of its clear visibility, divers get to see the marine life at a close range. You can even expect to see dolphins splashing about in the waters. Moreover, the place has shallow waters which are perfect even for first–time divers or newbies as well as for experts.
- Fun fact: Apart from a wide range of aquatic life, scuba divers at Grande island also get a chance to explore the historic ruins of WWII warships and sunken vessels that lie submerged on the bottom of the sea.
- Other activities you can do here: The place is perfect for engaging in adventure water activities like snorkeling, fishing, diving, and even swimming.
3. Baga Beach
Out of the many beaches in the state, Baga beach is undoubtedly one of the most happening and serene beaches of Goa. As a result, it is not surprising to know that the beach is always flooded with travelers, locals, adventure lovers, and beach babies. Apart from that, the beach also serves as a great spot for scuba diving in goa. There are a few amazing spots around the beach that offer wonderful opportunities for scuba divers. As you dive in the crystal – clear waters of the Baga beach, you can expect to greet a rich variety of marine life, underwater flora species as well as beautiful coral formations. The best part is that the beach is perfect for both beginners as well experts.
If you go further into the deep waters, you can even witness dolphins playing gleefully. The Baga beach is not only the most beautiful but also the safest place to explore the underwater world.
- Fun fact: Those worried about safety, would be pleased to know that the place is equipped with proper scuba diving gear and well – trained experts who will offer you a safe driving experience.
- Other activities you can do here: You can indulge in some beautiful photography, sun-basking, or indulge in the other thrilling water sports offered here.
4. Uma Guava Reef
Perched at 14 meters just below the surface, this is another top spot for scuba diving in Goa. This place offers diving sites ranging from 6 meters to 12 meters and is the best place to explore the life of underwater creators. The best part is that while scuba diving, you can even swim with a variety of colorful tunas, barracuda, turtles, sharks, big groupers, anglerfish, parrotfish triggerfish, angelfish, surgeonfish, porcupine fish, snappers, and a lot more unique aquatic species. The beautiful coral formations and flora varieties are just like a cherry on top of the cake. The entire experience is so delightful and mesmerizing to watch that it will stay with you for long. Many people even frequent the place for underwater photography. Owing to its clean waters, scenic grandeur, and a wide variety of aquatic flora and fauna, it is not hard to guess why Uma Guava Reef is loved by scuba divers so much.
- Fun fact: No matter whether you are a first–time diver or an expert, the beach is suitable for all kinds of people. Located close to Grande Island, this spot is very popular among the local people and regular divers.
- Other activities you can do here: Naturally, scuba diving is the best thing you can do at Uma Guava reef but it is not limited to it. You can indulge in other water sports, try underwater photography, bask in the sun, watch the sunset sky, and a lot more.
5. Lobster Avenue
This is one of the underwater places of the state which is well – known for its vast stretches of soft white sand. As you can guess from the name, the place boasts of being home to an enormous variety of exotic lobsters that live in complete harmony under the calm waters. The best part is that since the water of this place is relatively calm with very few undercurrents, the place proves to be just perfect for a great scuba diving experience. As a result, it is not hard to guess why many divers consider this place as one of the best spots for scuba diving in Goa and often frequent it. At the first glance, you may think that the bottom of the sea has nothing but rocks. However, as you dig a bit deeper and search clearly, you will find some colorful and exotic marine creatures hidden behind those big rocks. Since the depth of the water is just around 10 meters, the place is just perfect for those scuba divers who have just started with this beautiful adventurous journey.
- Fun fact: Some of the popular marine creatures and tropical fishes that you can come across in this place are sergeant majors, parrotfish, flounders, moray eels, triggerfish, groupers, nurse sharks, turtles, reef rays, dogfish, lobsters, rock cod and a lot more.
- Other activities you can do here: Diving, swimming, and admiring the aquatic creatures are a few pleasant things to do at the place.
A scuba diving experience in Goa will not just be adventurous but will also open you up to a series of colorful and exotic underwater creatures such as fish, coral reefs, lobsters, and even marine flora. In short, you can say that when it comes to adventure, especially water adventure, then Goa is one of the best destinations in India.
FAQ’s Regarding Scuba Diving in Goa
Q1. What is the price of going scuba diving in Goa?
Ans. Though the price of scuba diving in Goa varies from one diving school to another, usually the general price remains between the range of Rs. 2500 to Rs. 3000.
Q2. Is it safe to go scuba diving in Goa?
Ans. Yes, scuba diving is a relatively safe experience. Moreover, most of the spots in Goa have trained experts and other safety equipment to assure you of a safe experience.
Q3. What is the best time to visit Goa?
Ans. The peak season of visiting Goa is from October till March.