Visit Dudhsagar Falls in Goa|Popular Things To Do At Dudhsagar Falls|How To Reach Dudhsagar Falls (2021)
Located strategically on the Goa – Karnataka border but mainly in the state of Goa, Dudhsagar Falls is blessed with a prime location and owing to its gorgeous beauty manages to attract thousands of tourists to its bounty. With waters so pure, the gushing water from the streams of this four-tiered waterfall creates an illusion of milk flowing through the mountains. You can even see the milky vapors rising from the Dudhsagar Falls. This is such a mesmerizing sight to behold that many people even describe the entire phenomenon as clouds falling from the heavens to directly descend on the earth. Even the backdrop of the Dudhsagar Falls is so lush green and naturally beautiful that it is often compared to that of a painting by Michelangelo. If you are planning to visit this beautiful Dudhsagar Falls in Goa and wish to know more about it, then you have arrived at the right place. Here, we have gathered all the information you need to know before visiting the Dudhsagar falls. Continue reading!
Overview of the Dudhsagar Falls, Goa
Dudhsagar falls is one of the most majestic waterfalls of Goa where water as white as milk gushes through the steep and vertical mountain face from a height as great as 310 meters, only to portray such a mesmerizing cascading effect, that you will get amazed. In fact, owing to its great height, Dudhsagar Falls even find themselves a place in the list of the tallest waterfalls in the country. This is basically a four-tiered waterfall that marks its presence along the serene Mandovi river in the Sanguem taluka region in the Indian state of Goa. Talking about the origin of the waterfall, the Mandovi river serves as the main river of the state and originates from the Deccan Plateau and winds its way through the many twists and turns of the rocky Western Ghats. As soon as this stream of the river plummets through the hills located along the Karnataka – Goa border, this river transforms into the magical Dudhsagar falls. Image Source
The Natural Beauty Of The Dudhsagar Falls, Goa
As the water gushes from the falls, it flows towards its feet only to create an equally stunning green pool at the base. It is from this moment on that the milky water of the Dudhsagar waterfall starts flowing in the western direction to merge in the massive Arabian Sea. Talking about the surroundings of the Dudhsagar Falls, this waterfall of Goa is blessed with a vastly stretched lush green forest cover. It is this very fact that makes the Dudhsagar waterfalls a part of the well – known Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary. Over the span of the past few years, the Dudhsagar falls have seen a drastic increase in its popularity and have turned into one of the most popular weekend getaways from nearby cities such as Mumbai, Pune, and Bangalore.
The Etymology of the Dudhsagar Falls, Goa
The unique name of this stunning waterfall is made up of two words- Dudh and Sagar which literally translate to milk and sea respectively. As the water of this popular waterfall of Goa cascades down the hilly terrain it gives rise to an incredible illusion of a milky white sea falling right from the sky onto the other. Hence, giving it the name Dudhsagar Falls.
Myths and Legends of the Dudhsagar Falls, Goa
You may be surprised to know that there is an age-old legend associated with Dudhsagar Falls. According to the myth, it is said that once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess, the daughter of the King of Ghats who loved taking a bath in a lake near her abode which is currently the Dudhsagar waterfall. She was a modest and beautiful lady who is believed to have possessed piousness of heart, soul, and mind. As per her bathing ritual, it was given that after bathing, she along with her handmaidens would assemble alongside the lake and consume a whole jug of sweetened milk. One day as she was busy drinking milk from her beautiful jug, she came across a handsome prince hazing who hearing the laughter of these ladies stopped to gaze at them. As soon as the maidens noticed the prince, in order to protect the honor of the princess who was wrapped in minimal bathing attire, they immediately spilled the milk in the water to create a cascading effect to bar his view from the crystal – clear water of the lake and in the meanwhile, the princess immediately wrapped herself in her royal clothes. It is said that it is her mug of milk that is flowing endlessly till date in the streams of Dudhsagar waterfall. Even to this day, nothing has been able to take away the pristine milky whiteness of the Falls. Some people even believe that this pure white water signifies the true virtue and modesty of that beautiful princess.
Popular Things You Can Do at Dudhsagar Falls, Goa
If you were thinking that a trip to this incredible waterfall will be boring, then you clearly have no idea about what you are about to greet on this vacation. Dudhsagar waterfall is one of the top sightseeing attractions of Goa and keeps its visitors entertained by offering them a plethora of exciting activities. Want to know some of the best things to do at Dudhsagar falls? Continue reading, as we have already shortlisted some for you.
- Go on Castle Rock Trek: If you are interested in admiring the natural beauty from up close and enjoy something thrilling at the same time, then this trek is the perfect thing for you to do at Dudhsagar falls. It is a 14 km long trek and it will take you about 5 hours to complete it. The scenic beauty is the main attraction of this trek as the trail will take you to several natural masterpieces. Also, you will traverse through several tunnels and railway crossings during your trek. The difficulty level of the trek is not much and is ideal for beginners too.
- Kulem Dudhsagar Waterfall Trek: This is another popular activity to do at Dudhsagar falls for all those travelers who are craving some adrenalin rush and natural exploration. This trek is approximately 12 km long and it generally takes about 4 hours to cover it. However, if you take several pit-stops during the trail to admire and capture the surrounding natural beauty on your cameras, then it can take you a bit longer. Also, a word of caution about this trek is that the mud trails which come along in the trek can be a bit slippery, so you need to be alert and careful.
- Camping: Are you an adventure lover who loves camping? If yes, then we have good news for you. Nestled amidst the natural wilderness of Dudhsagar waterfall, is an amazing adventure camp. The Castle Rock adventure camp comes with various facilities such as bunker beds, an almost non – existent internet connection, plenty of trekking expeditions, calm surroundings, and serene playgrounds. In short, this adventure camp can quest all your thirst for thrill and adrenalin rush. Moreover, the best part is that it is easily affordable as well.
How to Reach the Dudhsagar Falls, Goa?
For all those of you who are worried about, facing traveling issues in reaching the waterfall, in this travel guide to Dudhsagar falls, we will like to tell you that you will come across no such thing. This waterfall is considered one of the top scenic spots in Goa and is visited by people from all over the country. The destination is well – connected and can be reached easily using multiple means of transport. Some of the best ways to reach Dudhsagar falls are as follows:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach Dudhsagar falls is the Goa International Airport. The airport is located at a distance of about 70 km from the waterfalls. Once you reach the airport, you can easily take a taxi or hire a cab to reach your destination. It will take you a car drive of about 2 hours to reach Dudhsagar falls from the airport.
- By Rail: The closest stop to reach Dudhsagar Falls will be Kulem. You can also get off at the Castle Rock Station. There are two trains that run here on a daily basis.
- By Road: The waterfall is located at a prime location and is well – connected with nearby cities through a network of well – maintained roads. Since the roads are in good condition, you can take a taxi to the falls or even take a bus. There are jeeps provided by the forest department that can take you to the falls.
Exuding power and beauty, this natural waterfall adds an astounding aesthetic appeal to the location. When you talk about the top tourist places to visit in Goa, then you can probably not miss out on the Dudhsagar waterfalls.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Dudhsagar Falls
Q1. What Is The Best Time To Visit Dudhsagar Falls?
Ans. During the monsoons from June to September, the waterfall is at the peak of its glory.
Q2. Can We Go On A Picnic At Dudhsagar Falls?
Ans. This landmark serves as a great picnic spot and is ideal to be visited with family, friends, or your partner.
Q3. Is It Safe To Visit This Waterfall?
Ans. Dudhsagar is a safe place to visit. Make sure to check the weather forecast before going.