2 Historical Places to Visit in Haryana: Kurukshetra & Rohtak (2022)
Haryana is a state that has carved its way on the flourishing paths of modernization while being rooted in its cultural and historic values. In Sanskrit, the meaning of Haryana translates to the abode of God. The state has not only witnessed the epic battles fought on this land but has also evidence of the ancient Indus Valley Civilization. Extending from the culturally rich Panchkula to the rapidly industrializing city of Gurgaon, the diverse heritage of Haryana is worth experiencing. Image Source
2 Historical Places to Visit in Haryana: Kurukshetra & Rohtak
This article covers some of the major historical locations that you must not miss while planning to visit Haryana like Kurukshetra and Rohtak.
Places To Visit In Kurukshetra
The rich history of Kurukshetra speaks volumes and has a significant mention in our ancient literature. The city of Kurukshetra has several unique places that you may not want to skip while here.
- Jyotisar – Jyotisar is one of the many other places that found its origin from the time of Mahabharata. It is considered to be a sacred site in Kurukshetra. According to the ancient beliefs, it was in Jyotisar where Lord Krishna recited the Bhagwad Gita to Arjun to encourage him for the great war. The banyan tree underneath which Lord Krishna preached Arjuna still exists
- Bhisma Kund – We all remember the agonizing situation when Bhisma Pitamah had to lie on the bed of arrows to watch the fierce battle of Mahabharata. Bhisma Kund in Kurukshetra is the water spring that Arjuna created with his arrow to quench Bhisma’s thirst. The water body is considered to be of great religious significance
- Krishna Museum – As the name depicts, this museum is dedicated to the various incarnations of Lord Krishna. Established in 1987, the museum houses six large galleries that are adorned with statues and paintings from Bhagavata Purana and Mahabharata
- Kurukshetra Panorama Science Centre – If you like to experience the amalgamation of science with history, this Science centre calls for a visit. The motto to establish this centre was to explain the role that science plays in the Indian religion. You can get an amazing experience of life-like panorama battle of Kurukshetra
- Kalpana Chawla Memorial Planetarium – The heroism of Kalpana Chawla is unmatched and so is this beautiful Planetarium established in her memory. It is a place of attraction for young minds and astronomy enthusiasts. The planetarium has several short film exhibitions on astronomy and its root in ancient Indian civilization
- Rantuka Yaksh Tirth – As you enter this legendary city, Thai tranquil and beautiful temple greets you. Located on the banks of River Saraswati, this tirth is believed to be one of the four yakshas present in the Kurukshetra. Taking a dip in the holy waters of Saraswati and paying a visit to this shrine can be a perfect start to your trip
- Sheikh Cheli’s Tomb – This tomb in Kurukshetra is also known as Sheikh Cheli Mausoleum which was built in the fond memory of a great Sufi saint -Prince Dara Shikoh. This beautiful mausoleum is engraved with enchanting Persian floral designs. The complex consists of impressive red sandstone madrassa manicured lawns, and an archaeological museum to entertain the tourists
- Raja Harsh Ka Tila – Haryana is not only known for its temples and shrines, but there is also evidence of ancient civilization hidden in the covert of its cities. Ran a Harsh Ka Tila is one such famous archaeological site in Kurukshetra. The excavations in the region have revealed the presence of settlements belonging to six different cultural periods
Places To Visit In Rohtak
Besides Kurukshetra, the other city in Haryana that finds pride in its historical monuments is – Rohtak. Located in the heart of the state of Haryana, this lively city has a prosperous past. Here are some of the places you must pay a visit while traveling to Rohtak.
- Asthal Bohar Math – In the outskirts of the city, you can locate a majestic statue standing tall in its pride and glory. This is the Asthal Bohar Math that serves as a sanctuary for the followers of Guru Gorakh Nath and worships Lord Shiva. You can find a great collection of ancient books and relics in this Math. The Math administers a number of educational institutions and hospitals for the welfare of people
- Meham – Yet another archaeological site that was uncovered during excavations is Meham. This small town in Rohtak has traces of the ancient Indus Valley civilization. There are relics of scattered mosques, temples, and tombs across the area that speaks of the shared heritage by Hindu and Islamic architecture
- Gurudwara Bangla Sahib – This spiritual place is situated near Mata Darwaja Chowk in Rohtak. The gurdwara is devoted to the Sikh Guru Teg Bahadur. The holy pilgrimage becomes a sight to behold on the birth anniversary of the guru with splendid celebrations and delicious langar in the form of blessings
- Bindawas Lake – Besides the historical sites, Rohtak houses a beautiful man-made lake in its heart. It is a great spot for bird watchers at the lake as it attracts various migratory birds during winter. People flock around this lake to enjoy quality time with their family as it serves as a perfect picnic spot
Foods to Enjoy in Haryana
While roaming in the streets of Haryana, do not forget to indulge in the delicacies the local place has to offer.
- Alsi ki Pinni – Pinni is generally associated with Punjab, but Alsi ki Pinni is a game-changer. This sweet ball of healthy flax seed mixed with wheat flour, ghee, and jaggery is a healthy and delicious snack
- Bhura Roti Ghee – Haryanvis do have a thing for their rotis. But this yummy of roti, ghee, and powdered sugar is a total hit. It will surely take you back to your childhood days
- Rajma Chawal- Nothing can beat the hot and spicy rajma gravy on the top of steamed rice with crunch salad. While in Haryana make sure to have a scrumptious meal of the lip smacking rajma chawal.
The ancient heritage of Haryana is worth visiting. While you plan to soak in the divine and rich culture of this monumental state, remember to plan well in advance and reach out to us to help you guide through and make your trip a memorable one.