Visit Dalhousie: Best Time to Visit, Things to Do & Places to Visit in Dalhousie, Stay Options, Getting There (2021)
Dalhousie is often referred to as Little Switzerland of India and is a piece of heaven in the state of Himachal Pradesh. This small hill station is packed with surprises with numerous things to do to calm and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul. This place is adorned with good weather all round the year that you can visit this place anytime you like. Dalhousie surprises everyone who visits this hill station and mesmerizes the tourists. Dalhousie is spread over five hills of Kathlog, Potreyn, Tearh, Bakrota, and Bhangora. This hill station was founded by Lord Dalhousie in 1850 and is named after him.
Dalhousie is also famous for its rich colonial architecture and has several beautiful churches that are preserved to date by the ministry of tourism of the state of Himachal Pradesh. This hill station is unaffected by the wrath of time and still looks astonishing and awe-inspiring. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was so mesmerized by the beauty in Dalhousie that he stayed at this hill station for many months in 1937. There are a few places named after him in Dalhousie. Some of them are Subhash Baoli and Subhash Chowk. Some Tibetan populations also settled here some years back which adds to the cultural heritage of this place. Dalhousie is located in the Chamba district. The town Chamba is 70 km from Dalhousie. The climate of Dalhousie attracts thousands of tourists every year and there several things to do like paragliding, and numerous places to see, etc. In addition to the many places to visit in Dalhousie and things to do; the ancient colonial buildings, mansions will impress you to go to Dalhousie again and again.
Best Time To Visit Dalhousie
With a cool and pleasant climate all-round the year Dalhousie is visited by tourists at all times of the year. While summer is the best time to visit the town. During the summer when the snow starts to melt, you will start seeing the greenery and flowers all around which makes the place look like heaven. The weather is pleasant in summers and is considered the ideal time to spend in the lap of the Himalayas. Dalhousie is also a very famous honeymoon destination especially in the winters, you will see many honeymooners walking around hand in hand in various parts of the town.
Summer in Dalhousie starts in March and lasts up to May and this time is the most visited in the city as the temperature is pleasant compared to other parts of the country where it is brazenly hot.
Winters start in October and lasts up to February. However, October and November are not very cold months. It is in December that the temperature drops sparingly low and you start seeing the snow. At the end of February or at the beginning of March the snow starts melting.
Every weather has its charm in Dalhousie. It depends on you when you want to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city and want to stay and rejuvenate your cluttered mind in the lap of Himalayas.
How to Reach Dalhousie?
Dalhousie is well connected to the plains and all the nearby major cities. There are several means of transport available to travel to Dalhousie. You can choose from the air travel, trains, buses, or taxis to reach this heavenly town in the lap of Himalayas.
Air Travel to Dalhousie: The nearest domestic airport to Dalhousie is Gaggal airport which is also known as Kangra airport. Dalhousie is 130 km from Gaggal airport. The local airlines and carriers like Air India, Jet Airways, Indigo, Spice Jet, and others have direct flights from Delhi. You can take connecting flights from other local airports in India. You can hire a taxi from Gaggal airport to go to Dalhousie or you can take a bus that operates quite frequently from Kangra to Dalhousie as there is good and frequent service of Himachal roadways and other private buses.
Rail Travel to Dalhousie: The Nearest railway station is Pathankot airport which is around 80 km from Dalhousie, and it takes around 3 hours to reach from Pathankot airport to Dalhousie. Pathankot railway station is directly connected to prime cities of the country, including Delhi, Jammu, Bhatinda, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, and Jodhpur via several superfast, express, and mail trains. You can take a taxi or take a shared cab from outside the railway station to reach Dalhousie. You will be able to enjoy the stunning views of the Himalayas on your journey all through.
Road Travel to Shoghi: This is the best way to reach Dalhousie as you will be able to enjoy the views on your way to the city while traveling by road. This might take a longer time than by air or train, but it is worth it. There are several private and state buses of Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HPTC) and Haryana Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) providing services from nearby cities. From New Delhi, it takes around 11 hours via NH 1 to reach Dalhousie, covering a distance of about 565 km. Additionally, Dalhousie is also well connected with other major places of the region like Chamba is only around 45 km and it is easy to reach Dalhousie from Chamba by a private vehicle or by a taxi or a bus, and Amritsar is around 200 km and Shimla is 365 km.
Things To Do And Places To Visit In Dalhousie
- Panchpula: Panchpula which means five bridges is a famous tourist spot in Dalhousie. This place is visited by many locals and tourists around the year. Panchpula is 2km from Dalhousie and you can reach here by foot in a few minutes. This is a nice picnic spot for you to enjoy with our friends and family as this place has waterfalls, nice picnic spots for you to sit and enjoy, and has a decent trek you can enjoy without any difficulty. Make sure you visit Panchpula on your next visit to Dalhousie.
- Khajjiar: Khajjiar is a small yet very famous hill station in the Chamba district in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Khajjiar is around 25 km from Dalhousie can be easily reached by local transport as there is frequent bus service from Chamba to Dalhousie. Additionally, you can take your taxi and reach Khajjiar from Chamba. Khajjiar is known for its nine-hole golf-course which is nestled amid lush greenery and a breathtaking landscape. This hill station is located on a small plateau which also has a small lake which is one of the most famous tourist spots in this town. Khajjiar has dense forests, meadows, beautiful lakes, and beautiful temples. This hill station is a must-visit if you are visiting Dalhousie. Image Source
- Kalatop Khajjiar Sanctuary: Kalatop Khajjiar Sanctuary is a 31 square kilometer animal sanctuary at Kalatop and Khajjiar in the Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. The Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. You can spot a variety of animals like leopard, bear, deer, langur, jackal, Himalayan Black Marten, Barking Goral, and countless beautiful birds. It is a must-visit when you are in Dalhousie.
- St. John’s Church Dalhousie: This is the oldest church in Dalhousie and was built in 1863. This church is located in Gandhi bazaar and is one of the most visited places in the city. This church has historical importance as well and is a reminder of the British Raj in India. The church also has beautiful paintings of St. John the Baptist along with St. Peter. This is also a favorite spot for the photographers in Dalhousie which gives them numerous shots and angles to click awe-inspiring pictures. The nearby library has a lot of literature about the history of the Church where you can sit and enjoy your time basking in the history and glory of the place.
- Dainkund Peak: Dainkund peak is the highest peak in the town and is also known as singing hill and is at an elevation of 2755 meters above sea level. Being the highest peak, it offers a bird’s eye view of the beautiful valleys and mountains in the area where you rejuvenate your self and calm your mind, body, and soul. It is a perfect place for people who want to enjoy the calmness and want to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city. On your way upwards, you will be able to enjoy the beautiful view and feel the cool breeze flowing to calm your nerves.
- Satdhara Falls: Satdhara falls is one of the most famous places in Dalhousie and is a common picnic spot for locals as well. Although you will find both locals and tourists at this spot. It provides visitors with beautiful and fantastic views of the Chamba valley. You will be able to see the snow-covered ranges and fresh, green pine and deodar trees. Satdhara means seven springs and this place has seven springs flowing simultaneously and so the name. This waterfall brings together the waters of seven beautiful springs and their meeting point is common. The water flowing from the springs is said to have mica and is said to have medicinal properties to cure skin diseases. This is a perfect place to calm your nerves and feel tranquility in the area.
- Ganji Pahari: Ganji Pahari is a very scenic hill located at a distance of 5 km from the main Dalhousie town on the Pathankot road. The name is derived from a lack of flora on the hill. So “Ganji” literally mans “bald” and “Pahari” means “Hill” and hence the name. It is a beautiful trekking trail in the town that offers magnificent views of the Himalayas on your way up and down to this place. During winters, the trail is covered with thick snow and offers stupendous views of the snow-capped Dhauladhar ranges. This is a must-visit place when you are in Dalhousie.
- Sach Pass: Sach pass is located at a distance of 150 km from Dalhousie and connects Dalhousie with Chamba and Pagi valleys. It is one of the dangerous passes in India to cross. It is located at a height of 4500 meters and is a sight to behold. It is a preferred route for locals to reach Chamba or Pangi valleys and is a famous point for trekking from Dalhousie. If you are not an experienced driver or do not have the experience of driving in the hills, you must take a professional driver with you to visit this heavenly place.
- Chamera Lake: Chamera lake is located in the Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. It is a man-made reservoir and has a dam built on it as well. It is a famous spot for sight-seeing and picnic among tourists and locals. During the monsoons when the Ravi river is flooded it makes the Chamera lake look like a mini Arabian sea and is a sight to behold. You can also enjoy boating here.
- Bakrota Hills: Bakrota hills is one of the highest points in Dalhousie and has a road called Bakrota road which leads to Khajjiar. This place has a few tea estates and is famous among the people for taking long strolls in the middle of the hills.
- Rock Climbing: You can enjoy many adventure activities in the area and rock climbing is one of them. You can enjoy rock climbing in Dalhousie as well as Khajjiar. It is best to go to enjoy the adventure activities in groups as it will be a little costly to take the training sessions for a single person.
- Paragliding: Paragliding is another adventure activity that can be enjoyed in Dalhousie. The most favorable months for paragliding are months of September to November and then from January and June when the weather conditions are perfect and ideal.
- Rock Garden: Rock Garden is a beautiful garden and a famous picnic spot in Dalhousie. People come here to relax and revitalize in the lap of nature in the park. One can also try the adventure sports available in the area including zip-lining, rock climbing, etc.
Where To Stay In Dalhousie?
Dalhousie is a famous tourist destination and a perfect weekend getaway, there are many beautiful and comfortable places to stay here for all budgets. They are many luxurious, mid-range, and budget properties to choose from depending upon your range. Additionally, there are many homestays you can choose from. Dalhousie also has a Zostel which is a new and famous destination among youngsters and adventure seekers. You can also meet many like-minded people during your stay here at Zostel.
Make sure you book your accommodation before visiting the place as the possibility of finding a good or any accommodation gets difficult during the peak season if you just drop by. You can also choose to stay in Dalhousie or Khajjiar depending on your convenience.
Where To Eat and Shop In Dalhousie?
There are many places to eat in Dalhousie and several cafes serving multi-cuisine food which is scrumptious at all levels. You would love going to these places over and over after tasting the food at these places. Café Dalhousie is a heritage and famous place to enjoy meals in the town.
You can enjoy an amazing meal at this café and enjoy a view of the hills while eating your food as is with many other cafes and restaurants in Dalhousie.