Visit Shoghi: Places To See And Things To Do In Shoghi, Where to Stay and Eat in Shoghi (2021)
Shoghi is a small suburban town in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Shoghi is located at 5,873 ft above sea level and is 14 km south of Shimla. This is a quaint little town where you can spend some time to enjoy some quality time with your friends and family in the middle of the hills and the lap of nature. It is a perfect destination for solo travelers as well to spend some time with yourself and to rejuvenate yourself. If you are one of those people continuously searching for quiet little towns in the Himalayas covered with forests and offer a beautiful and amazing view of the majestic mountains, Shoghi is your paradise. Your quest will rest in this small town where you will feel that the time will stop in the middle of hills with the cold breeze flowing. Once you reach on the top of the hill.
The small town of Shoghi is almost a 2-km stretch of road if not less. The main highlight of Shoghi is the calmness and the natural beauty you will observe here in addition to the heartwarming hospitality offered by the people of this town and the amazing Himachali food you can enjoy here. This small town is famous for its locally produced fruits and fruit products like juices, pickles, jellies, and syrups. Shoghi is also famously known as the temple town because of the presence of several ancient temples in the area. One of the famous temples in Shoghi is the Hanuman Temple, which was in ruins for many years before it was renovated by the government recently and is visited by thousands of tourists and locals.
History of Shoghi
The small town of Shoghi does not have much of history and a lot is not known about the early history. The little knowledge that is there references to the Anglo-Gurkha War, which was fought in the 19th century. In 1815, the chieftains defeated the Gurkhas in the war who had earlier joined the Britishers. After the loss, the Gurkhas were forced to sign the Treaty of Sanjauli in 1815. The company retained the strategic forts of Sabathu, Kotgarh, Ramgarh, and Sandoch. The Britishers rewarded the Maharaj of Patiala with the Shimla region which Shoghi was a part of earlier for his services to the company.
Best Time To Visit Shoghi
Shoghi can be visited all across the year just like Shimla as the weather conditions are unique and best all-round the year. However, the best time to visit this town is between March and June. Another time you can plan a visit to this town is in October to see the people in the town celebrating the Maa Tara Devi Festival in full glory. You can also feel the chill in the air between September till November. These are the ideal months to explore this offbeat destination located very close to Shimla. During this period, the weather is perfectly suitable and lies between 15 degrees Celsius to 27 degrees Celsius.
How to Reach Shoghi?
Shoghi is well connected to the plains and all the nearby major cities. There are several means of transport available to travel to Shoghi. You can choose from the air travel, trains, buses, or taxis to reach this heavenly town in the lap of Himalayas.
Air travel to Shoghi: The nearest domestic airport to Shoghi is Jubbarhatti in Shimla which is approximately 33 km from Shoghi. Another close airport is Chandigarh airport which is 102 km away from this beautiful town of Shoghi. The local airlines like Air India, Jet Airways, Indigo, Spice Jet, and others have direct flights from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and other cities to Chandigarh Airport. You can hire a taxi from the Chandigarh airport to go to Shoghi or you can go to Shimla and take a bus which operates quite frequently on this route from Shimla to Shoghi.
Rail Travel to Shoghi: The Nearest railway station is Kalka which is 75 km from Shoghi and it takes around 2.5 hrs. You can take a train from Delhi to Kalka and then take a bus to reach Shimla. And then take another bus from Shimla to Shoghi. You can also take a taxi from Kalka directly to reach Shoghi. You will be able to enjoy the stunning views of the Himalayas on your journey all through.
Road Travel to Shoghi: There is a frequent bus service from Delhi and Chandigarh to Shimla or Solan which are around 14 and 17 km from Shoghi. Alternatively, you can hire a taxi to travel to Shoghi which will be a little expensive but worth the money as you will be able to enjoy the beautiful view of the beautiful mountains and valleys on your way to Shoghi. However, make sure your driver has experience driving in hilly areas as the roads are narrow and it gets a little tricky sometimes. The most common route from Delhi is NH1 to Ambala via Karnal; NH22 to Shoghi via Zirakpur, Panchkula, Kalka, and Kandaghat.
Local Transport in Shoghi
Local transport and commuting within the city is not a problem. As the town is close to Shimla, you can easily hire cabs or taxis for commuting in and around Shoghi. You can also enjoy the Toy train ride if you are staying for more than one day.
Places To See And Things To Do In Shoghi:
- Tara Devi Temple: Shoghi is also known as the city of temples as there are many temples in the surrounding area which are famous among locals and tourists in the area. You can calm yourself in the middle of this beautiful spiritual place and bask in the glory of this place with temples in this meditative environment. Tara Devi temple is considered to be 250 years old and is situated on the top of the Tara Parvat. This temple is devoted to the Tibetan goddess Tara, she is believed to be one of the nine sisters of Goddess Durga. The idol of Tara Devi is wooden and brought by the Sen Dynasty from West Bengal. You can enjoy a festival in October if you are visiting Shoghi during this time as the locals conduct Pooja during Sharad Navratri which is a big occasion. Image Source
- Hanuman Temple: Hanuman temple is located in a green valley in the Shoghi town. This revered shrine of Lord Hanuman is popular for its beautifully colored wall paintings, and there are many interesting scenes from the Hindu mythology on the walls which is pretty amazing. Locals believe that praying at this old temple brings happiness, prosperity, and good health. This temple is visited by many tourists and locals around the year.
- Kandaghat: Kandaghat is a small town located very close to Shoghi and Shimla. It is a quiet, beautiful, and tranquil town and is considered as a good vacation spot if you are staying in Shoghi for a long time. It is a peaceful place and you can calm your nerves in this small town in the lap of nature. This small town is nestled amidst the Himalayas and offers a great view of the green valleys covered with pine and deodar forests and majestic mountains. If you want to go to a place away from the hustle and bustle of the town, this is the place to be. The best thing about this place is sunrise and sunset. People come to Kandaghat especially to enjoy sunrise and sunset away from the smoke and pollution in the cities.
- Kali Temple: Another famous temple in Shoghi is the Kali temple which is visited by locals and tourists equally. This temple is almost 150 years old; the Kali temple is situated 8500 ft above the sea level on the top of Jakhoo Hills. The temple is dedicated to goddess Kali and there are idols of Goddess Chandi and Shyamala in the temple complex.
- Hiking Around The Shoghi Town: Because of the beautiful terrain, Shoghi is famous for the hikes around the city. Shoghi is known for its wooded walks in the forests covered with thick pine and deodar trees around it. Tourists can decide to take a leisurely walk anywhere from 1 full-day hike in the nearby areas and can even consider overnight camping. The walkable trails and the simple routes allow travelers to enjoy hiking without getting exhausted and you can take steps and enjoy the beauty of nature on your way to your destination. Trekking here does not only offer you a beautiful site and view at the destination but the way to the endpoint will be awe-inspiring covered with dense forests, thick vegetation and you will see beautiful lush meadows around the town. You will have a good time if you are a solo backpacker, you are with your friends and family. Just wear your hiking shoes and get out of your room to enjoy what this small town has to offer.
- Camping in Shoghi: If you are a true adventure seeker, you will enjoy camping overnight in the lap of nature in the middle of the mountains and beautiful valleys. You can hike during the day and take your tents and food and put a tent, stay and enjoy the views out and about the town.
- Bird Watching: Many migratory birds can be found in this area of the city. You will find several trails where you can see the birds in the town and many guides offer services to take you to the trails to see these beautiful birds. Some of the birds that can be spotted in the area are Spot Winged Tit, Blue Magpie, Blyth’s Reed Warbler, Brown Fronted Woodpecker, Black Headed Jay. While some birds like White Eared Bulbul, Black Drongo, Spot Winged Tit can be found right outside your cottage. For more extensive birding, the forest surrounding the place has many birding trails and nesting sites you can go to and enjoy your time watching beautiful birds.
- Pabbar Valley: Pabbar Valley is the mesmerizing and enchanting valley of the famous Pabbar River. It is located at a distance of 80 kilometers from Shimla. It is located just above Shimla and is often called as the unknown, unexplored, and unspoiled wonder of Himachal Pradesh. His valley is located in the lap of nature and is thriving in abundance in this quaint little region of Himachal Pradesh. This is a heavenly place for people who enjoy places where they can be on their own and enjoy the calmness and tranquility. The Pabbar valley is located in the belt located around the Pabbar river that cuts through the Chanshal Mountain Range, apple orchards, lush green meadows, beautiful mountain ranges, dense oak, and deodar forests. The valley terrain also is quite an attraction for adventure seekers as there are many hikes out and about the place which provides beautiful views of the valley. The mountains in the area are covered with thick vegetation and are explored by many tourists and locals around the year. The valley, therefore, is not just perfect for sightseeing but is also a wonderful spot for nature and adventure lovers.
Where To Stay In Shoghi?
Shoghi being a famous tourist destination and a perfect weekend getaway, there are many beautiful and comfortable places to stay in Shoghi for all Budgets. They are many luxurious, mid-range, and budget properties to choose from in Shoghi depending upon the size of your pocket.
Additionally, there are many homestays you can choose from. The best thing about homestays is that you will get to meet locals who will tell you about beautiful spots in the town and you will be able to see beautiful places. Make sure you book your accommodation before visiting the place as the possibility of finding a good or any accommodation gets difficult during the peak season if you just drop by.
Where To Eat In Shoghi?
There are several local dhabas and luxurious restaurants in Shoghi where one can relish the scrumptious North Indian food. From nice restaurants to diners to street food, you will find everything at this tiny little place. There are a few fancy cafes at Shoghi given the size of the town like those we find in the modern cities, but rest assured you will enjoy a scrumptious meal cooked in Himachali style at many local restaurants or Dhabas at Shoghi. You will find food at affordable prices here at Shoghi. You can relish foods like tandoori roti, roomali roti, dal makhani, dum aloo, palak paneer cooked in pahadi style, and stuffed parathas with raita and beverages like lassi or buttermilk. Some of the famous food joint in Shoghi is Aamod Resorts, Machaan, the Colonial, and More Please.
Make sure you visit these places on your next trip to Shoghi.