9 Amazing Places To Visit In Chikmagalur (2023)
Chikmagalur, an enthralling hill station edged in Karnataka, a state in southwest India, exhibits the best form of luxuriant green vegetation and serene and pleasant climate, which will help you to escape from the hectic daily life and let you bask in the lap of nature. The umpteen number of tourist destinations and the eye-opening beauty of the place, allures innumerable visitors.
Trekking and sightseeing are the most prominent activities of this place and contribute a huge amount in the tourism sector. To add the cherry on the cake, the place is blessed by the arresting Western Ghats.
9 Amazing Places To Visit In Chikmagalur
Chikmagalur, this homely place with many adventurous activities and multiple hills, provides you some breath-taking views of the marvelous environment. So, fasten your seat belts and plan a weekend getaway trip to Chikmagalur to visit the following beauteous places:
1. Mullayana Giri: Edged in the laps of Chandra Dhrona Hill ranges of the Western Ghats of Chikmagalur Taluk, Mullayana Giri is the highest peak in Karnataka, India. The fourth highest peak of Nilgiri hills, after Vavulmala, Chembra Peak, and Banasura Hill, is a famous trekking and tourist destination. The place has amazing trekking paths, and the entry fee is free. The height of the peak is almost 2000 meters.
Trekking on this peak is a memorable experience for all. The memory of trekking will reverberate in your consciousness; thus, enticing you to visit the place again and again. When you climb the peak, the cold winds hit your face, and the breath-taking views excite you. The best time to visit Mullayana Giri for trekking is the spring season. The monsoons are not favorable because the heavy downpour here makes the track slippery, making it difficult to trek. Though the climatic conditions are quite moderate here, during the harsh summers, the heat may exasperate you.
2. Kudremukh National Park: Sited at the Western Ghats, Kudremukh National Park is located at a distance of 96 km from the Chikmagalur city. This park located in a serene and calm setting is at an altitude of about 1800 meters from the sea level. The height makes it suitable for the park to be visited even in the harshest summer because the climate is moderate and tranquil due to the high altitude.
The park got its name from the Kannada language. “Kudre,” in Kannada, means horse and “mukh” stands for face. Thus, the park means horse face because a hill in this park is shaped like the head of a horse. The impressive wildlife of the place makes it come under the Global Tiger Conservation Property 1. The green frondescence and luxuriant coffee and tea plantations in equal measure are also found here. The entry fee is rupees 200 for Indians and rupees 1000 for foreigners. The place is best to be visited between 7 am to 1 pm.
3. Hebbe Falls: Situated at a distance of 8 km from Kemmangundi hill station, Hebbe Falls is reached by trekking from this hill station. But the hard work to reach the place is quite worth. The sounds of the splashing of water on the rocks make your heart beat faster and reach the place quickly. The picturesque view of the falls circumscribed by rich green frondescence, thick and dense forests and luxuriant flora species, hills, and coffee plantations expanded around the falls make this place an eye-opening tourist spot.
Falling from a height of 168 meters, the fall is divided into the big falls, and the small falls, both of which vary in their lengths. Hebbe falls in Chikmagalur is the finest place to escape from the hard-pressed and grinding lives and engage in the beauty of nature with the tranquil waves of air splashing on your face. Rejuvenate your body, with this natural Jacuzzi mixed with exotic herbs of the nearby vegetation! The entry is free, and the place is open from 6 am to 6 pm.
4. Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary: A home to a variety of animals and birds, Bhadra Wildlife sanctuary is edged between the Chikmagalur and Shimoga districts. This enchanting place is worth each penny and each second spent by you. It is a haven for all the animal fanatics with exotic varieties of flora and fauna. The sanctuary got its name from the Bhadra River, which flows through it. Also known as the Muthodi Wildlife sanctuary, its splendor and beauty are peerless.
With a large population of Tigers, the sanctuary is eminent for its wildlife Safari. This informative Safari can be done in private jeeps with the forest officials who tell you interesting facts about the lifestyle of animals. Tigers can be seen in their natural habitats as well. It is an ideal place for you with over 250 species of birds if you are an adventure aficionado. You can see the birds along with an ornithologist who helps you to discover the places which have the specific birds. Pit viper, king cobra, or crocodiles in the marshy areas can be seen if you are lucky enough. The mesmerizing beauty of the dense forest with spectacular views will definitely make adrenaline rush into you! It is opened from 6:30 am to 8:30 am and from 4 pm to 6 pm.
5. Kallathigiri Falls: Edged near Kemmangundi, the Kallathigiri Falls, also known as the Kalhatti Falls, engages you with its charisma and all blessings of nature. A beautiful temple with many idols and stone structures is sandwiched between the waterfalls, where the visitors often come to offer their prayers to the Almighty. The rock garden and the Hebbe falls can also be visited from this place. Hebbe falls cascades 10 km from this region. So, you could visit both the falls either by transport or on foot. The Chikmagalur bus stand is at a distance of approximately 50 km from Kallathigiri Falls. It is open every day from 7 am to 6 pm.
6. Baba Budangiri: Baba Budangiri, also named the Datta Peeta and the Chandra Drona Parvatha, is located in the Baba Budan Giri range and eminent for its multiple mountain ranges. Baba Budan, the Muslim saint, is the person after whom the place is named. It rises to a peak of about 1900 meters, with Mullayanagiri being the highest peak of the region. The place has 3 caves with 3 Siddhas being buried here. Siddhas are the religious oracles that are buried in this place. The entry fee is free, and it can be visited at any time during the day.
7. Bhadra Dam: Bhadra dam, built on Bhadra river, a tributary of the Tungabhadra river, was commissioned in 1965. The people utilize the dam for electricity as well as irrigation purposes. Other important tourist locations in Chikmagalur like the Mullayanagiri is also located in close proximity to the dam. No entry fee is charged, and it can be visited anytime.
8. Hanumana Gundi Falls: Settled at an altitude of 996 meters, the arresting nature of this waterfall is evident when you look at it from close quarters. The energy, freshness, and purity of the place are quite rejuvenating. The green and luxuriant vegetation that is whisked with the blue splashing waters gives this place a stupendous and picturesque view. Cascading down from 22 meters above the ground, the impressive trekking trails also facilitate trekking, which is a prominent activity in Chikmagalur.
The suitable surroundings with dense foliage make this place ideal for camping and sightseeing. Hence, the place is a whisk of purity, adventure, religion, greenery, water, serenity, and relaxation, and fun. There is a trekking trail that helps you move upwards towards the fall and hence witness the cascading of the fall, which is a heavenly experience for all the nature lovers. It takes us away from reality to indulge in nature and dreams.
9. Coffee Plantations: The bitter aroma of coffee with the tranquil climate makes coffee plantations to be worth visiting for. The old villas follow the old colonial architecture to give you the old feels. But the rich ambiance and the knowledge provided by the estate owners who organize frequent tours in the coffee plantations make them a popular place.
It is a place to visit Chikmagalur at least once in your lifetime, as it will give you the experience to be never forgotten. The serene, pleasurable, and the picturesque views of the place will leave you enthralled and enchanted.
Chikmagalur’s beauty has a magnetic charm that will entice you to visit the picturesque destination again and again. You can plan your vacation and itinerary and choose the best places from the list provided above according to your tastes, preferences, and budget. Thus, these places are the best to escape from the daily monotonous life and do some adventure in life!