Visit Mangalore: Explore the Rustic Beauty of Mangalore (2022)
Nestled between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea, Mangalore, or Mangaluru, is a port city. Over time, it has gained quite a lot of popularity due to the pristine beaches, exquisite architectural finesse, and swaying palm trees. But that is not just it, and there’s more to Mangalore that makes it count among the best tourist places to visit in Karnataka. To know about all that it has got in stock for you, scroll down below and check out our Mangalore travel guide.
Things To Do In Mangalore
Check out some of the best activities you can indulge in during your trip to Mangalore to add to your experiences and make your trip a cherishable one!
- Plan a Hill-top Camping – The Sakleshpur campsite is one of the most beautiful locations to go camping when in Manglalore. The vast layout of nature and richness of natural beauty is what you need to refresh your mind. If you have friends with you, do not think twice and just set off for the exotic location. It is also one of the best locations if you are planning for a short drive.
- Visit the Backwaters – Located beside the great Arabian Sea, the location provides an exciting backwater experience in Mangalore. You can even take a tent accommodation and stay for the night.
- Explore the Mangalore City – You can even rent a bike or take a bicycle and then go for a city ride and explore the town’s nooks and corners. It will also give you the chance to get a first-hand experience of the Mangalore city on your own.
- Trekking – There are quite some trekking spots around the city where you can go trekking and feel the adrenaline rush. Even the amateurs can attempt it and take training to do it.
- Jeep Ride – If you do not wish to take a tour of the whole city of Mangalore by walking or by bike, you can opt for a jeep ride and enjoy the ambiance. Moreover, taking a local jeep allows you to witness the sightseeing at best.
- Attempt Stand-up Paddle Rides – Being a beach city, there are quite some opportunities in Mangalore to enjoy water sports activities, and the most popular one is the paddle boat ride. The exciting ride will surely give you an adrenaline rush.
- Kayaking – If you want to experience Mangalore city’s natural charm, then kayaking is the best thing you can do. The tranquil ambiance of the city, amped by the city’s lush green surroundings, can definitely take all your stress away.
Places to Visit in Mangalore
Here are some of the best places to visit in Mangalore that you cannot afford to miss out on your list. So, take a look!
- Kudroli Temple – Initiated by Sri Narayana Guru, the Kudroli Temple hosts the deity Lord Shiva, also known as Gokarnanatheshwara. Even if you are a non-believer in God, you will be amazed by the architecture and various mythological legends’ excellent murals.
- Kadri Manjunath Temple – Though known as a Hindu Temple, it has a lot of Buddhist influence, dating back to the 11th century. Located at the Kadri hills’ base, it got its name from the magnificent location and the chief deity whose name was Manjunatha.
- Kadri Park – The park is one of the best places to visit in Mangalore because of the large number of wild animals you can see here. Even the rare species are not commonly seen like the migratory birds, almost extinct animals, and anteaters.
- Sultan Battery (Bateri) – The Sultan Battery, constructed by Tipu Sultan, is a historical watchtower previously used to keep an eye on the enemies. It is one of the best tourist places to visit in Mangalore, Karnataka because of the fascinating history it possesses.
- Panambur Beach – Located in close proximity to the New Mangalore Port, the Panambur Beach is one of Mangalore’s most scenic beaches. Tourists tend to flock here in large numbers throughout the year because of the kite festival hosted here. You must not strike it off your list! Image Source:
How to Reach Mangalore?
Reaching Mangalore is not a hassle because it is well-connected by many cities in Karnataka – all thanks to the great transport networks. In whichever way you would like to visit Mangalore, be it by air, road, or rails, you can do that quite flexibly.
By Air: Avail flights to the Mangalore International Airport, which hosts domestic and international flights from worldwide. From there, avail cabs, rickshaws, or buses to reach the city.
By Road: The best way to come by road is by availing the state and the private buses that come from Goa, Mysore, Mumbai, and Bangalore, and cost quite cheap. You can also opt for a car rental or a taxi, or you can also come by driving your car, as the roads’ condition is quite good.
By Rails: You can come directly to Mangalore by availing trains to the Mangalore Railway Station which is well connected to other major cities.
How to Commute in Mangalore
If you are thinking about how to roam around and explore the must-visit places in Mangalore on your own, then don’t worry because there are ample options for you. From buses to cabs and even auto-rickshaws, Mangalore has the flexibility for the tourists to roam around as they feel like and consider your budget.
Best Time to Visit Mangalore
Though adventure enthusiasts and sightseeing lovers visit Mangalore throughout the year, if you are wondering about the best time to visit Mangalore, it will be from September to April. September marks the onset of the winters, and thus the weather remains quite comfortable during the period. The tourists can go out, explore, and enjoy outside activities as the temperature remains somewhere around 30°C, and the humidity remains quite low during this time of the year.
Now that we have given you a brief idea about planning your trip to Mangalore, what to do, and what not to miss when you are there, now go ahead and pack your bags and set off. We wish you a very happy journey!