Visit Raichur Fort, Raichur – The Jewel Of North Karnataka (2020)
Situated between the two mighty rivers – Krishna and Tungabhadra, Raichur is a beautiful city in North Karnataka. Boasting of having a glorious past as well as rich culture associated to itself that dates as long as to the days of Emperor Ashoka in the pages of history, Raichur is a one of the top tourist places to visit in Karnataka. The Raichur city is located about 409 km away from Bangalore, the capital city of Karnataka and hence receives a lot of attention from travellers coming to visit the state. Image Source
Though Raichur city holds a plethora of exciting tourist attractions, Raichur Fort is almost symbolic of Raichur city. The name Raichur is basically derived from the word Rayachooru which literally translates to a king’s place in the Kannada language. Another theory states that Raichur is said to have originated from the Telugu words, ‘Rai’ and ‘ooro’ meaning stone and town, respectively. In this article, we have collected all of the information about this historical fort that you would like to know before actually visiting it.
Why Should You Visit the Raichur Fort in Raichur?
A lot of travellers who include Raichur city in their itinerary, often start their tour of exploring the city by beginning with this historical fort. History says that the imposing Raichur fort was built by the Kakatiya rulers in 1294 AD. The Raichur fort possesses a series of exceptional and attractive features which makes it one of the top tourist places to visit in Karnataka, especially for all the history, architecture and culture lovers. If you are searching for more reasons to visit this mind-blowing fort, then we would like to help you with this list of must – visit features of the Raichur fort.
- Stunning Structure; Architecture: This historical fort built by Kakatiya rulers in 1294 AD sports an applause worthy architecture. The Raichur fort is surrounded by double rows of massive low circuit walls, which are further built on a hill that is about 88 metres high, on three sides. Moreover, the inner walls of the fort were constructed using big blocks of stones that are blocked together remarkably without any binding material between them. The fort is actually strong.
- Major Attraction: Though the Raichur fort is a wonderful place to explore in itself but the thing which amazes most of the visitors is the 41-feet-long stone slab of the fort. It is no ordinary slab. The thing which makes this stone slab exceptional is the fact that it carries ancient records in Telugu language with a scene wherein huge slabs are hauled up a hill with the help of buffalo carts.
- Multiple Inscriptions: Another feature which makes Raichur fort a special place to visit for all the history lovers are the numerous stone inscriptions. You may be surprised to know but the fact is that the fort sports an array of stone inscriptions in Arabic and Persian languages. If the history and the legends are to be believed, these stone inscriptions on the Raichur fort are said to belong to Ali Burj.
- Other Interesting Things Inside The Raichur Fort: You will be pleased to know that other than historical significance, inscriptions and architecture, Raichur fort also houses a variety of exciting things to explore. Once you go inside the fort premises you can get to see the ruins of some of the ancient temples. The fort also houses several tanks and a massive iron cannon.
The Raichur Fort Timings
There are no specific timings for visiting the Raichur Fort. This top tourist place to visit in Karnataka is open on all the days of the weeks. So, you can plan a visit to Raichur fort as per your convenience. Despite that, people prefer to leave the fort premises before it starts getting dark as exploring and sightseeing after sunset becomes a bit difficult.
What Is The Best Way To Reach Raichur Fort In Raichur?
If you are worried that reaching the Raichur would be difficult, then you are worrying for nothing. The Raichur city is well connected and easily accessible from several major cities of Karnataka including Bengaluru, Mangalore and Mysore. You can reach this top tourist place in Karnataka by:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach the Raichur Fort in Raichur is the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport located in Hyderabad. The airport is approximately 183 km away from the city of Raichur. Other nearby airports include the Hubli airport which is about 256 km away and Bangalore International airport that is about 434 km away from Raichur.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach the Raichur fort is the Raichur RC. Since it is located on the Guntakal – Gulbarga railway line, the railway station provides plenty of trains that connect Raichur city with many other major cities.
- By Road: You will be pleased to know that Raichur city is easily accessible via roads from many neighboring cities. One can easily travel here by personal vehicle. However, regular bus service is also available from many major cities. The nearest bus station is the Raichur Bus station.
Best Time To Visit The Raichur Fort In Raichur
Though you can visit the Raichur fort anytime throughout the year but if you wish to make the most out of your trip, then the best time for you to visit the place would be in between the months of October and March. The weather during this time is perfect for sightseeing and exploration.
Places To Visit Near The Raichur Fort In Raichur
You would be pleased to know that there are many interesting attractions located close to this top tourist place to visit in Karnataka. So, you can easily combine some of them to make your trip even more memorable. Some of the places you can consider visiting are:
- Markandeshwara Temple: This is one of the oldest shrines of the city. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, in this temple the god’s idol is present in the form of Markandeshwara. Owing to its beautiful carved pillars and religious significance, it is a prominent attraction of the area.
- Ek Minar Ki Masjid: Located in the Raichur city, this is one significant mosque. Built in Persian architectural style, the mosque comprises a two storied minaret that is 20 m high. Many people love coming here to witness some of the prettiest panoramic views of the city.
With its historical and cultural significance, this top tourist place to visit in Karnataka catches the attention of a huge crowd of tourists.