Best Weekend Getaways in South Carolina (2022)
Do you want to leave behind the horizons to find an escape in a perfect gateway destination to get an out-of-a-suitcase experience this following weekend holidays? Explore the hidden gems this weekend by exploring the nearest cheap weekend getaways from South Carolina. Whether you are craving to spend your weekends amidst stunning nature, rich history, or vibrant and welcoming scenic views, these weekend getaway destinations in South Carolina will fill your mind and soul with aliveness and serenity. For Breathtaking views to a heap of enthralling adventures, jot down these amazing weekend destinations in South Carolina for a perfect vacation experience.
10 Best Weekend Getaways in South Carolina
Here are the top gateway destinations in South Carolina. No matter your travel preferences, you will get a one-of-a-kind experience while traveling to these sites.
If you are eager to find an escape in nature and history, then Charleston, the oldest and largest city in South Carolina, is the perfect weekend getaway destination. The city is best known for several museums and old mansions where you can explore the rich American culture and history. Unlike the dominating skyscrapers in the metropolis, it offers a diverse mix of scenic beauty, history, and modernism.
Things to do in Charleston
- Spend some hours at Charleston Harbor, the paradise for wildlife watchers.
- Explore the fascinating history at the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist.
- Expand your knowledge about the dark history of slavery at the Charleston Museum.
- Go shopping for boutique goods, housewares, and clothes at the shopping venues.
- Learn about tropical fish, sharks, and turtles at the South Carolina Aquarium.
2. Myrtle Beach
With beautiful beaches, stunning beach activities, and endless entertainment, Myrtle Beach has everything to make your romantic getaways from South Carolina vibrant. The beach, listed as one of the top beach destinations in the United States, is visited by more than 14 million tourists annually. The beach city is spread over 60 miles, and throughout the city, you can find crystal-clear sandy beaches, oceanfront condos, and numerous golf courses.
Things to do in Myrtle Beach
- Walk across the long sandy beaches on a fine morning.
- Visit Brookgreen Gardens to explore American sculptural heritage amidst the seasonal blooms.
- Spend time playing golf at Miniature Golf by choosing from more than 50 miniature golf courses.
- Watch the stunning beauty of the entire beach city from the top of the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel.
- Click photos with your favorite stars and explore tons of entertainment at Hollywood Wax Museum.
The city of Columbia combines the rich past of American culture and the vibrancy of the Sun Belt. It is the state’s capital, buzzing with entertainment, history, and a diverse economic landscape. The city is also known for its amazing Southern charm, hospitality, and delicious cuisine. From plenty of fun-filled outdoor adventures and visiting historic neighborhoods to world-class museums, you will never be tired of your weekend getaway in the city.
Things to do in Columbia
- Make fun with your little ones by exploring the wildlife and plants at Riverbanks Zoo and Riverbanks Botanical Garden.
- Enrich your architectural knowledge about the Greek Revival architecture at the South Carolina Statehouse.
- Visit the South Carolina State Museum to explore an extensive collection of historical artifacts.
- Stroll along Columbia Canal & Riverfront Park on a fine afternoon to enjoy the scenic views.
- Explore an impressive American art collection at the Columbia Museum of Art.
Greenville, in the heart of the Upcountry, is situated at the foothills of the Ridge Mountains. The city is famous worldwide as one of the top textile centers, offering travelers great shopping, dining, and numerous other entertainment opportunities. While visiting the city, you can see several public artworks, parks, shops, and tree-shaded streetscapes everywhere. Annual festivals throughout the year add charm to visitors to the city.
Things To Do In Greenville
- Enjoy 360-degree virtual tours along the Swamp Rabbit Trail at Falls Park on the Reedy.
- Roper Mountain Science Center is a worthy place to visit if you are eager to enhance your scientific knowledge.
- Explore American art at the Greenville County Museum of Art from colonial times to the present.
- Enhance your child’s ability to learn attractive things and make them adaptive to professional skills at the Children’s Museum of the Upstate.
- Visit the renowned Peace Center, Greenville, to learn about cultural performances and performing arts.
5. Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island is your perfect gateway destination to enjoy the beach vibes, play golf, cycle around the lanes, and the vibrant entertainment opportunities. Hilton Head is a place where you can relax on the straddling beaches and enjoy the Lowcountry lifestyle. Formerly only a sleepy Southern island, the beach city now buzzes with cultural and natural resources, attracting visitors to explore every nook and corner.
Things to do in Hilton Head Island
- Treat yourself to an enchanting view of the Atlantic Ocean at the straddling beaches.
- Make your weekend getaway charming by cycling along the bike trails and participating in beach biking.
- Book a cruise tour to experience marine life and watch the marine dolphins while cruising.
- Choose a fine afternoon to idly walk along the Coligny Plaza and buy gifts for your loved ones from the local souvenir shops.
- Visit the iconic red and white striped Harbour Town Lighthouse and watch several exciting exhibits.
Florence, referred to as “the Magic City,” is an ideal getaway place to experience rural life away from the city’s hubbub. The city is rich in culture, history, lush vegetation, topography, and architectural heritage. On this weekend trip to the city, you can experience never-ending recreational activities, entertainment options, fine dining, and more.
Things to do in Florence
- Enjoy the entertainment events at Francis Marion University Performing Arts Center.
- Lose some calories by doing some respiratory and cardio exercises at Timrod Park.
- Visit Cottle Strawberry Farm to pick up farm-fresh strawberries and increase your farming skills.
- Visit the Thieves Market to buy from various unique and antique artifacts.
- Buy from a wide range of home decor items, jewelry, antiques, vintages, and collectibles at the Palmetto Peddlers Antiques Mall.
Located at the foothills of the Ridge Mountains, the city is famous for its unique outdoor adventures in the Sassafras Mountains. Other top attractions that are in the treasure are the lakes and waterfalls. The city is also home to several historical sites and outdoor recreational sites. Make your weekend trip memorable for a lifetime with fantastic activities in the small American city.
Things to do in Clemson
- Visit the South Carolina Botanical Garden to explore a wide variety of plants and wildlife in the South Carolina Piedmont ecosystem.
- Fort Hill Plantation in the city is Nationa Historical Landmark to experience the rich political history.
- Bob Campbell Geology Museum is worth visiting to watch an extensive exhibition of historical artifacts.
- Watch an evening show to relax at the Brooks Center for the Performing Arts.
- Experience the history of pre-colonial American history at the Hanover House.
8. Rock Hill
Rock Hill is one of te primary educational and entertainment hubs in South Carolina. It is the largest city in York County and is well-known for its ancient architectural marvels. While traveling to this city, you can find numerous recreational parks to spend long hours in. It is also one of the major learning hubs in the state and is home to three colleges and the renowned Winthrop University.
Things To Do In Rock Hill
- Stroll around the Glencairn Garden and watch the stunning beauty of the entire landscape.
- Your getaway at Rock Hill remains incomplete without watching the Lights and Sounds Show at Fountain Park.
- Main Street Children’s Museum is the perfect gateway destination to make your little ones more interactive.
- Spend some hours playing softball and enjoy a bike ride at Cherry Park with yur gang!
- Busting with tribal culture, Catawba Indian Cultural Center in the city is worth visiting on your trip.
- Enjoy the amusing watersports activities with your friends at Southtown Wake Park.
Sumter in South Carolina is never out of the top getaway destinations list whether you are looking for birdwatching, kayaking, shopping your heart out, or taking a sightseeing tour. Several tourist places in the city are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Things To Do In Sumter
- Swan Lake Iris Gardens will mesmerize you if you are never tired of birdwatching.
- Experience the charm of body painting and feel like an artsy at Millennium Studios.
- Take part in the unique puzzle games at the Lock, Clock, and Peril Escape Rooms.
- Experience chills and thrills in dirt racing events through the Sumter Speedway.
- Cross the obstacles to win and find your inner strength at the Sumter Ninja Warriors.
Aiken is one of the most popular cities in South Carolina. You can find numerous historical attractions and engaging recreational activities while traveling here. The city’s thriving downtown area is full of restaurants, bars, and unique shops. Additionally, the downtown area is known for concerts and cultural events throughout the year.
Things To Do In Aiken
- Enjoy the showcase of a comprehensive collection of artifacts at the Aiken County Historical Museum.
- Pick farm-fresh vegetables, fruits, and other farm products at Aiken County Farmers Market.
- Take a tour of the Aiken Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame and Museum to explore the rich cultural tradition.
- Learn about space and astronomical science at DuPont Planetarium.
- Walk along the trails and enjoy the science vista around you at Henderson Heritage Preserve.
So, here are the best weekend getaways from South Carolina that you can visit in the following holidays. Explore the friendly locals and rich history associated with these American cities to experience the perfect ambiance of an unmatched getaway experience!