Goalpara Travel Guide (Assam): About Goalpara, Popular Places to Visit in Goalpara, Best Time to Visit Goalpara, FAQs (2021)
About Goalpara, Assam:
A part of the iconic seven sisters of North East India, the state of Assam is truly blessed in terms of wildlife, sightseeing places, natural beauty, culture, history and a lot more. The town of Goalpara is one popular tourist place to visit in Assam. It even serves as the headquarters of the district of the same name. Both, the town as well as the district of Goalpara are pretty popular throughout the state for being a home to a plenty of significant cultural centres and archaeological sites. Endowed with scenic beauty along with a series of archaeological collections, the Goalpara district manages to attract a wide range of travellers from all over the country. If you are someone who is planning a fun getaway and love to explore sites of great historical relevance, then Goalpara is one of the best tourist places to visit in Assam for you.
Though Goalpara is an administrative district of the Assam state but one thing is for sure, if you plan a trip to this beautiful town then, you will have no dull moment. If this place makes you curious, then you have stumbled across the right page. In this article, we have gathered all the useful and important information about Goalpara which you must know before actually visiting it. Continue reading to know more!
What Is Goalpara Famous For?
Located at a distance of about 140 km west from the city of Guwahati, the town of Goalpara as well as the district, are both well-known for housing several important cultural centres and archaeological sites. Another thing, worth mentioning about the place is that it is surrounded with lush greenery. One can generally spot vast green plains sprawling along the area with the banks along the mighty river Brahmaputra which further give birth to fertile agricultural lands. All nature lovers would also be pleased to know that certain parts of the Goalpara district are hilly with a plethora of evergreen trees forming continuous canopies adding an additional touch of color green to the area. Other than that, the area even boasts of housing two scenic water bodies-Urpad Beel and Kumri Beel within a distance of about 15 km from the Goalpara town. The reason these water bodies are immensely well-known in Goalpara is because they host a variety of migratory birds during the winter season. As a result, the place is immensely popular among bird watchers as well!
What are the Popular Places to visit in Goalpara, Assam?
The town of Goalpara is dotted with a variety of scenic, historical and archaeological rich sightseeing attractions which makes it a top tourist place to visit in Assam. Owing to its vast range of attractions, you will never feel bored when in Goalpara. Some of the popular tourist places that you can visit Goalpara are as follows:
1. Surya Pahar
Located at a distance of about 12 km from Goalpara district, not many travellers know or visit this place. However, as far as the archaeological value of Surya Pahar is concerned, it is extremely rich and this is one of the reasons why the place is even referred to as an Archaeologist’s Gold Mine. A plethora of archaeological findings have been discovered from the area and you can find them all displayed in the local museum. There is a popular belief among the local people of the area that Surya Pahar houses as many as 99,999 Shiva lingas in its premises. A plenty of hidden mysteries, secrets and treasure are known to lie in Surya Pahar. Holding a major significance in the history of the three religions- Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, the place boasts of being listed as one of the most significant heritage sites of the ancient remains in the state. This top tourist place to visit in Assam, is open on all days from 10 AM till 5 PM except Fridays. Image Source
- Best Time To Visit Surya Pahar: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip somewhere during the winter season. During this period, the place experiences a perfect climate which is neither too cold nor too hot.
- Things to do in Surya Pahar: Know about the historical significance, explore the many archaeological findings, study the religious importance.
- How to Reach: You can easily reach Sri Surya Pahar via different travel modes. The nearest railway station is the Goalpara railway station. From the station, you can easily avail any of the local transport modes including auto rickshaws and cabs. Since the spot is located close to the station, you will reach it in a jiffy.
- Distance from Goalpara, Assam: about 23 km away.
2. Explore the Manas National Park
If you are a true nature lover and a wildlife enthusiast, then there can be no better tourist place to visit in Assam than Manas National Park. Boasting of being a UNESCO Natural World Heritage Site, an Elephant Reserve, a Biosphere Reserve as well as a Project Tiger Reserve, the place catches the attention of a large number of travellers from all over the country. The exclusive features of this national park in Assam making it special are that it is the only tiger reserve in the state and also houses the rare golden langur and the red panda. The national park houses a huge population of wild water buffalo too. Recognised for its rich biodiversity, spectacular landscapes and naturally stunning scenery of forested hills, Manas National Park is one of the most well – maintained national parks in the entire country.
- Best Time To Visit: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip in between the months of October and December or from middle March onwards.
- Things To Do There: Elephant ride, Jeep safari, bird watching, seeing the tea pickers, admire the natural scenery
- How to Reach: By Air: The nearest airport to reach Manas National Park is located in Guwahati. The airport is well connected to almost all of the major states and cities across the country. By Rail: The nearest railhead to reach the Manas National Park is Barpeta Road which is situated at a distance of about 32 km from Manas. Another major nearest railway station close to Manas National Park is located in Guwahati. By Road: The Manas national park is located at a distance of about 176 km from the city of Guwahati. It takes a journey of approximately 5 hours to reach from Guwahati till the national park. You can either travel by your personal vehicle or take a cab.
- Distance from Goalpara, Assam: about 118 km away.
3. Kumri Beel Lake:
Kumri Beel Lake is one of the most picturesque tourist places to visit in Goalpara, Assam. It is basically a natural lake nestled amidst raw natural beauty. Owing to its ethereal beauty, the lake alone manages to catch the attention of a vast number of nature lovers, photographers as well as travellers from all over the country. Located at a distance of just 11 km from the Goalpara town, you will also be pleased to know that the Kumri Beel Lake also serves as a popular spot among migratory birds. It is during the winter season that the lake is flooded with several migratory birds. Surrounded by dense lush green forests as well as marshy lands, the beauty of the place is enhanced manifolds. A lot of locals as well as travellers frequent this place to spend some moments of peace amidst natural serenity. It even serves as a common picnic spot for many people. If you wish to relax in scenic surroundings, then this is the best tourist place for you to visit in Goalpara, Assam.
- Best Time To Visit Kumri Beel Lake: For the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your trip somewhere during the winter season. First of all, during this period the place experiences a cool and dry climate and secondly, during winters a lot of migratory birds can be seen in the lake.
- Things To Do at Kumri Beel Lake: Bird watching, go for a picnic, try boating, visit the nearby attractions, spend some quality moments in peace
- How to Reach: You can easily reach Kumri Beel lake easily. There are plenty of buses that run from most of the nearby cities till the Goalpara bus stand. You can even go by personal vehicles or by hiring a taxi.
- Distance from Goalpara, Assam: about 11 km away
What Is The Best Time To Visit Goalpara, Assam?
Since the place is beautiful all-round the year, one can visit Goalpara anytime. However, if you are looking for the best experience, then it is better to plan your trip in between the months of October and February. These are the winter months and hence the weather is pleasant and cool during this time.
FAQ’s For Tourist Visiting Goalpara, Assam
Q1. What Is The Meaning Of The Name Goalpara?
Ans. As far as the unique name of Goalpara is concerned, it is believed that the place got its name from the word ‘Gwaltippika’ which roughly translates to Guwali village or the village of the Milk men.
Q2. Who Should Visit Goalpara, Assam?
Ans. Located on the southern part of the mighty river Brahmaputra, Goalpara is ideal for everyone, especially nature lovers and history buffs.
Q3. Is Monsoon A Good Time To Visit Goalpara?
Ans. You should avoid going during the monsoon season. Frequent heavy showers during this period can spoil your sightseeing experience.