Jorhat Tourism: History, Top Sight-Seeing Destinations and FAQs for Tourists Visiting Jorhat, Assam (2022)
Are you a true tea lover? If yes, then you would already be aware about the Tea Capital of India and if you are not, then we would like to tell you about Jorhat. Located in the North Eastern state of Assam, Jorhat boasts of being home to the largest Tea research station and hence is referred as Tea Capital of India. Jorhat is also known by the name of cultural capital of Assam. Housing a diverse range of people who in turn have different cultures, Jorhat also tells a tale of rich history. Not only this, Jorhat also sports a rich cultural heritage. With so many plus points, it is not hard to imagine why Jorhat is considered one of the prime tourist places to visit in Assam. If there was still some room left for more reasons to visit the place, it also houses the largest river island in the entire world – Majuli. It lies on the Brahmaputra river.
Another thing which you will be pleased to know about Jorhat is the fact it is also known as a profiting commercial centre for tea production as well as jewellery making. The artisans engaged in jewellery making here are pretty skilled and know how to perfectly blend traditional and contemporary jewellery styles. One can see the reflection of colorful and vibrant traditions of Jorhat in its jewellery. If you are planning to spend your vacation in Jorhat, then you would be pleased to know that you are in for a great time. In this article we have brought for you some of the best places to visit in Jorhat, along with many other useful details. Continue reading to know more!
History of Jorhat
Deriving its name from the two words- ‘jor’ meaning twin and ‘hat’ meaning market, Jorhat translates to two hats or mandis. Jorhat boasts of being the last capital of Ahom dynasty till the 18th century after which it went under the British rule. During the rule of Ahom Kingdom, the town of Jorhat was a flourishing and commercial metropolis. Though it was destroyed by a series of invasions of Assam but at present it serves as a popular tourist attraction in the state of Assam. It was in the year 1885 that the narrow – gauge railway, Joreaut Provincial Railway, came into operation and proved to be of great use in the rapid growth of the tea industry in the state. Even till today, one can get to see several tourist attractions in and around Jorhat that reflect traces of the rich history of the place.
Climate of Jorhat
The place experiences somewhat hot summers. You can expect the temperature to fall between 30 to 24 degree Celsius.
How to Reach Jorhat?
Jorhat is well connected by almost all means of transports. So, it is easy to reach as well. You can reach it by:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach Jorhat is located in the town itself. Rowraih airport is situated at a distance of about 7 km from the city. Since the airport is well connected to most of the major cities of India, one can easily reach Jorhat.
- By Rail: There are two railway stations located in Jorhat itself. One is Mariani Junction and the other Jorhat Town Railway Station. The former one is the main junction of the Jorhat city and is located about 18 km away from the city centre, while the latter one is situated just about 2 km from the city centre.
- By Road: There are many buses and taxis available from many major nearby cities such as Guwahati, Ahmedabad and Shillong to reach Jorhat. The roads are smooth too, so you can even travel via personal vehicle. The bus service is regular and frequent, so there is no problem.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Jorhat?
Though one can visit the Jorhat any time and have a good time but it is recommended that for the best experience, you should plan you trip in the winter season. It is during the winter season that the weather is pleasant in Jorhat. The temperatures are neither too high nor too low. It is just perfect for indulging in all sightseeing and exploration activities. You should avoid going to Jorhat during summer or monsoons.
What Are The Top Sightseeing Destinations To Visit In Jorhat?
Referred as the cultural capital of Assam, the city is popular for housing a plethora of scenic attractions. As far as top sightseeing destinations to visit in Jorhat are concerned, you don’t have to worry. There is a wide range of options for you to choose from. Some of the best ones you can consider visiting in Jorhat are:
Jorhat Gymkhana Club
Built in the year 1876 by D. Slimmon, it is basically a sports venue that is famous for its thrilling horse races, polo, cricket, billiard matches and even boasts of having a swimming pool as well as lawn tennis courts. You would be pleased to know that golf course of the place is the oldest one in Asian continent and the third largest throughout the world. Hence, it is considered as a part of the World Heritage list too. Other than all the sport activities, this popular tourist attraction in Jorhat also houses a gentleman’s bar and theatre too.
Originally built for the recreation of the British tea plants, this club is now considered as one of the most visited places in Jorhat and Assam.
- Things You Can Do: Explore the club, admire the flora in flower shows, indulge in sport activities
- Best Time To Visit: Winter season is considered as the best time to visit Jorhat Gymkhana Club as it during this period that the place organises horse races and flower shows.
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 300 km away
- How to Reach: The club is well connected via the local transport system. You can even use the local buses or take rental cars to reach the Jorhat Gymkhana club.
Sprawling over 1360 acres of land, Molai Forest is a mesmerising outcome of the constant hard work done by a famous environmentalist named Jadev Molai Payeng. He has done a phenomenal work by planting the vast stretch of land over a period of about 30 years, that too alone. What started as a small step of planting trees by the banks of river Brahmaputra has now turned into a huge lush green forest that acts as a home to several wildlife species including Bengal tigers, deer, Indian rhinoceros, a vast bird species and so on. This man-made forest is not only a prime tourist attraction to visit in Jorhat but is also considered to play an important role in saving the environment of Assam by maintaining the ideal ecological balance.
- Things You Can Do: Exploring the natural surroundings, admire flora and fauna, photography, bird watching, nature walks
- Best Time To Visit: Since the city enjoys a pleasant weather during the winter months, it is the perfect time to visit for proper exploration of the forest.
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 306 km away
- How to Reach: Located near Kokilamukh in Jorhat city, it is easily accessible via local transport options such as rental cars.
Established in the year 1461 by a saint cum reformer, Madhavdeva, this is a famous tourist attraction in Jorhat district of Assam. Boasting of being one of the oldest namghars in the state of Assam, it is said that the earthen lamp that Madhavdeva lit on the establishment of the place has been burning till today with the help of priests who religiously refuel it. Namghars are basically a congregational place of worship for people associated with a religion named Ekasarana in Assam. Spreading over a land having an area of 13 bighas, the place is maintained by the donations given by devotees and organises many cultural and social programs throughout the year.
- Things you can do: Explore the place, go sightseeing
- Best time to visit: For the best experience, it is recommended to visit the place in between the months of October and March.
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 297 km away
- How to reach: About 15 km east from Jorhat, the place is located quite close to NH – 37 and enjoys good connectivity via state and local buses. You can even use rental cars.
Plethora of sightseeing attractions, pleasant views, bustling corporate activities, rich culture and subtle aroma of tea in the air will make you fall in love with Jorhat.
FAQ’s For Tourists Planning to Visit Jorhat
Q1. What Is The Best Way To Commute Within Jorhat?
Ans. The easiest and most convenient way of going around sightseeing in Jorhat would be hiring cabs. You can even board the ferry boats from the Majuli island that run on a daily basis.
Q2. Who All Should Visit Jorhat?
Ans. Jorhat is the perfect vacation destination for all those people who actually wish to know about the true culture of Assam. It is even ideal for all the nature and wildlife lovers.
Q3. What Is Jorhat Famous For?
Ans. Some of the things which can be credited for the popularity of Jorhat are its beautiful tea gardens, pleasant winter weather, wildlife sanctuaries, natural beauty and humble as well as polite people.