Visit Nahan: A Historic and Cultural Town in Himachal Pradesh (2022)
Nahan is a small town and headquarters of the Sirmaur district in the state of Himachal Pradesh in India. Nahan is an agricultural trade center and is also quite famous for its timber production. Nahan is located on the majestic Shiwalik hills and is a beautiful town right in the lap of nature. The main town Nahan is located on the top of a Shiwalik hill overlooking other beautiful hills around. Nahan has historical importance and the place has been associated with many kings and kingdoms. The city was created by Raja Karam Prakash in 1621. There is a second version of the story or legend which says that a saint who lived with a companion named Nahar at the pace where Nahan palace is right now. The meaning of the word “Nahar” is ‘don’t kill’ and the name of this town was derived from this one incident when the king was trying to kill a lion and the saint said “Nahar” as he pleased him to not kill the Lion. The legend says that the name of the saint was Baba Banwari Das. Another version of the story is that Nahar means Lion in Sanskrit. There were several Lions at the place where Nahan Palace is situated right now and so the name of the place was derived from the word Nahar.
In addition to all the stories associated with the name of this place, it has a very pleasant vibe and is surrounded by hills and lush greenery. There are many historical places, monuments, temples, and beautiful nature for you to enjoy at this place. Nahan is situated at an altitude of 932m and is a tourist base for people traveling to the surrounding areas such as Renuka Lake, Paonta Sahib, Trilokpur, and the Suketi Fossil Park. A detailed guide to planning your trip to Nahan and the adjoining area is mentioned below:
Places To Visit and Things To Do In Nahan
- Renuka Lake: Renuka lake is situated at a distance of 38 km from Nahan. This lake is the perfect place to visit for people who are fond of spending time with nature in the middle of nature and away from the city hustle. This lake is very famous for its pristine beauty and surroundings, the Renuka Lake is also very renowned for its cultural history. The lake has a circumference of about 3214 meters which makes it the largest natural lake in Himachal Pradesh and the surrounding area and it is shaped in the form of a reclining woman which makes it even more interesting and gives more reason to travelers to visit this place. Because of its shape, the lake is considered to be a personification of the Goddess Renuka and is worshipped and also considered holy by the locals and other believers. Other than its cultural and religious significance, the lake also offers breathtaking views to visitors with lush greenery around and the sound of water in the ears makes it very pleasing for the tourists. People who reach the ridge of the lake after passing through dense alpine forests enjoy the unmatched view of the lake and can spend some time here alone or with family and friends. This lake is located in the Sirmaur District of Himachal Pradesh at an altitude of 672 meters above sea level. The lake has many fishes and is a good spot for you to learn fishing if you enjoy it. You can also enjoy boating at the lake. This is a fun activity to do with our friends and family in this area. There is another lake which is dedicated to Lord Parshuram who as the legend says was the son of Goddess Renuka. This lake is also located in the vicinity of Renuka Lake. There are also many temples around the area which are visited by tourists around the year. This place has a special place in the hearts of people who are inclined to spirituality and you will feel a spiritual vibe at this place. Spirituality and religious vibe are other reasons for you to visit this place and enjoy yourself at this place. This is a perfect picnic spot and a place to spend a day with your friends, family, and loved ones.
- Suketi Fossil Park: Another prime spot to visit on your next trip to Nahan is Suketi national park which is a major tourist site in the area around Himachal Pradesh. It is one of the fossil parks which is situated at the site where actual fossils were unearthed also. Suketi Fossil Park is also known as Shivalik National Park and is a major tourist site. The place has a vast collection of has collection of vertebrate fossils and skeletons that date back to prehistoric times. These fossils have been recovered from the upper and middle Siwalik’s geological formations of sandstones and clay at Suketi. Suketi national park covers a vast area of land is located over an area of 21 km on the banks of the Markanda River. It is located in the upper and middle Shivalik and has soft sandstone and clay rocks which makes the place unique. The fossil park is also famous for its open-air exhibition of six life-sized fiberglass models of extinct mammals whose skeletons and fossils were found at this place. This place also attracts many scientific people and historians to explore the place and to admire the fossils in this area. Suketi National Park facilitates international studies for research scholars and for people who visit the park from different parts of the globe, and it plays a major role in generating public awareness about the fossils and the remains identified.
- Jaitak Fort: Jaitak fort is an extremely important place and major tourist site in Nahan and is visited by a large number of tourists. It was built by Gurkha leader Ranjor Singh Thapa in 1810 and this fort is situated on the top of Jaitak Hills. This palace is constructed using the material recovered from the Nahan fort after it was destroyed. Jaitak fort is located at a distance of 25 km from Nahan. You can enjoy a good day out at this fort and admire the view from the hilltop. It is also a nice picnic spot to enjoy your time with your friends and family. Make sure you enjoy visiting this place while you are in Nahan.
- Trekking in Nahan: There are many famous hiking sports around Nahan which are famous for the views. One can enjoy a solo hike or with friends and family. The hikes are easy to moderate difficulty hikes which can be taken easily if you have a decent fitness level and availability of time. There are many trekking and hiking routes starting from Nahan which can be taken by the tourists. You can see some of the best views of pine forests and mountain tops. You will be able to see the majestic and awe-inspiring mountain ranges while you are hiking in this area. Some of the famous trekking paths are from Nahan to Renukaji. It is an easy trek and is suitable for people of all age groups. You can also visit Churdhar peak and enjoy a spectacular view from the top of this peak.
- Fishing: Other than trekking, you can also enjoy your time fishing in this area. There are many places you can enjoy fishing in the area and is an extremely beautiful spot to enjoy your time. You can spend your time lazing around in the area, you can learn and enjoy fishing in lakes and ponds in the area. Some of them are Mahaseer, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. Pakka Talab is another place where you can enjoy Fishing and you need to pay a small amount of INR 100 per fishing rod to enjoy and have fun fishing here.
- Churdhar Peak: Churdhar is a treat for adventure seekers and adrenaline junkies. It is a beautiful place for you to enjoy your time and have a great time. The view from the peak is awe-inspiring and you would not want to come back from here. Churdhar Peak is located at a height of 3650 m above sea level is a long trek. It is covered with verdant forests and fields and you can reach this peak from Dadahu, Sangrah, Bhawal, Gandhuri, and Nauhra. You would get the best reward of looking at one of the most beautiful and breathtaking views.
How to Reach Nahan?
Nahan is a well-connected hill station and is well connected via train, flight, and by road. Although since it is a hill station, it becomes mandatory to travel by road. You can choose from air travel, trains, buses, or taxis based on your budget and convenience to reach Nahan to calm your senses and heal your mind, body, and soul. Different modes to reach Nahan are mentioned below:
- Reaching Nahan by Flight: The nearest airport to reach Nahan is Chandigarh Airport which is 50 km from Nahan. There are direct flights from major cities to Chandigarh. You can also take a flight to Chandigarh and reach Nahan by bus or a private Taxi. The bus service from Chandigarh to Nahan is very good and will take around 2 hours to reach Nahan. If you are coming from Delhi and do not have a lot of time to spare traveling via bus or train, you can take a direct flight from Delhi to Chandigarh.
- Reaching Nahan by Train: The nearest railway station to Nahan is Shimla. Reaching Nahan by train is a little tricky but is a scenic ride. You can take a train till Chandigarh from your respective stations and take a bus or taxi to reach Kalka. From Kalka, you can take the famous toy train to reach Shimla which is a single-track rail and is the most scenic route you will be on in the northern part of India on a train in the Himalayas. From Shimla, you can take a taxi to reach Nahan or you can also take a bus from the new bus stand in Shimla.
- Reaching Nahan by Road: You can either take Delhi to reach Shimla or you can take a bus from Chandigarh to reach Shimla. There are frequent buses run by Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) that can be booked well in advance from online portals as well to travel to a bus or taxi to reach Nahan directly. Or the best and a little expensive option to hire a taxi to reach Nahan directly. You can choose your mode of conveyance based on our ease and your pocket.
Best Time To Visit Nahan
Summer is the best time to visit Nahan. However, with a cool and pleasant climate all-round the year, you would find tourists visiting Nahan at all times of the year. Navaratri is a weeklong festival which is most famous and celebrated with grandiosity in the town. It is visited and enjoyed by both locals and tourists equally. Many tourists come to these festivals during the season. Winters are very chilly in Nahan, especially during December and January. As the summer starts, you will start seeing the lush greenery and flowers all around which makes the place look like heaven. The weather is pleasant in summers and is considered the ideal time to spend in the lap of the Himalayas.
There is a huge rush of tourists in Nahan from March to May and the temperature is pleasant compared to other parts of the country where it is brazenly hot during this time. Every weather has its charm and some new thing and scenery in the hills in Nahan. You can decide when you want to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city and want to stay and rejuvenate your cluttered mind in the lap of the Himalayas.
Places To Stay In Nahan
There are many comfortable and luxurious resorts in Nahan for you to enjoy the beauty of the hills in the area. These luxurious resorts offer a panoramic view of the valley and have all the necessary services available for you to treat your senses. You can also find many homestays which are quite famous among families as well as young people and adventure seekers as you can have the entire area to yourself and enjoy there as per your comfort. And if you are staying with a landlord at your homestay, you get to enjoy the local and homecooked food in addition to getting to know the local folk stories and hidden spots for you to see. Some of the famous resorts around the area are Grand view Resort, Sirmour Resort Nahan, Nestling Meadows, Black Mango Resort, Sailani Resorts, Ashwin Resorts, Renuka Hotel, which is named after Goddess Renuka, and Writer’s Hill.
Food To Eat While In Nahan
Many famous restaurants are offering lip-smacking food in the area. You will find restaurants serving multi-cuisine food you can enjoy. Additionally, the resorts mentioned above have amazing in-house restaurants where you can enjoy scrumptious meals with a view of the valley which makes the food taste even better. There are also many street vendors offering some of the best Tibetan dishes for you to enjoy. If you do not worry about eating outside local food, the street food in Nahan is a must-try. This place will not disappoint you. Visit Nahan to treat all your sense and get bewitched by the beauty of this place.