Chandigarh Tourism: 5 Amazing Sightseeing Destinations in Chandigarh, Things To Do in Chandigarh, and How to Reach Chandigarh (2023)
The first city to be named a planned city in the country is Chandigarh. The town is named so because of its emergent, progressive, and free symbolic planning. The city of Chandigarh is a combination of cultures of two states, i.e., Punjab and Haryana. Chandigarh is the first city in India, which is named to be the capital of two forms. French architect Charles Edouard Jeanneret did the city’s design. Le Corbusier was his famous name. Chandigarh is one of the cleanest and safest cities in the entire country. Approximately thirty-five percent of the town is green. You can only see a few high-rise buildings around the city. Chandigarh is a well-known tourist spot. The hill stations in Himachal are just a 90 minutes drive from Chandigarh. The town is now named the “City Beautiful” because of its fast-growing attraction among locals and foreign tourists.
5 Amazing Sightseeing Destinations in Chandigarh
Whether you’re traveling alone or with friends, Chandigarh will never disappoint its tourists. It has all sorts of activities that you may need. Chandigarh has many things ranging from a stroll at various parks to enjoying old wonders. You can even indulge yourself in unlimited shopping to dining. You are always guaranteed an excellent time in Chandigarh. Here are some of the exciting tourist attractions that you can plan for your next Chandigarh trip.
- Rock Garden- Rock garden is a sculptural garden conceptualized and created by the government official Nek Chand. It was made in the year 1957. It is now spread over an area of forty acres. Its composition is of industrial, home waste, suspended materials, and recycled goods. These gardens are in the Sector 1 area near Sukhna Lake in Chandigarh. The major attraction of Rock Garden in Chandigarh is its sculptures. These sculptures majorly consist of scraps and wastes such as tiles, ceramic pots, electric sockets, washroom sinks, bangles, and many other materials. Rock gardens also consist of linked passageways and human-made waterfalls. According to a recent news article, it discovered that the imagination behind this astounding park is unbelievable. Image Source
- Rose Garden- The blooming Rose garden is spread over a massive area of thirty acres. Its location is in the famous Sector-16 area of the Chandigarh city. The Rose garden, as its name suggests, represents a wide variety of roses. These roses attract a hell lot of nature enthusiasts towards itself. There are about 800 plus varieties of flowers and over 32 thousand varieties of trees and medicinal herbs. From the starting of February to the end of March it is the best period to visit this unique garden. It has several types of natural and artificial entertainment spots for tourists.
- Shanti Kunj- Shanti Kunj falls between the Rose garden and the national Cricket stadium in Sector-16 of Chandigarh. It provides noise and a disturbance-free environment for peace lovers. It also has a quiet stream running through the park for water lovers. You can also find many kinds of trees which have good medicinal values. Some trees only have flowers, while some are vertically growing and shade-providing.
- Japanese Garden- Its location comes in the sector-31 area near to the Tribune Chowk in Chandigarh. The Japanese garden was built some years ago and is spread over 13 acres. It is the first garden in the entire country, made according to Japanese landscaping and architecture. The park has many water bodies and waterfalls. It also consists of pagoda towers, a Lord Buddha statue, a meditation place, and golden bamboos. Every exhibit here has its explanatory board for your understanding.
- Sukhna Lake- Sukhna Lake in Chandigarh is a three kilometers long human-made lake. Its creation began in the year 1958 by the Punjab government in those days. Lying in the foothills of the Shivalik range, it is one of the most visited places in the city. Chandigarh is full of recreational activities, but this one makes the top of the list. Children find this attractive due to the swings, toy cars, and electric rails. It offers some of the best scenery along with boating facilities for all. The best time to visit this lake is in the evening because of the moon’s beautiful reflection on the lake water.
Things To Do In Chandigarh
- Shopping- Chandigarh is considered to be a paradise for every shopping lover. The city is famous for its uniquely handcrafted artifacts and handicrafts. Because you may be a street shopper or a brand conscious one, Chandigarh has everything to offer you. If you are visiting Chandigarh and you are a shopaholic, you can opt for these. The sector-17 market of Chandigarh is like one of those in Delhi’s Connaught Place. It has several malls where you can shop in. Even you can go and spend quality time there. Other such shopaholic places are the Shastri Market in sector-22 and the Palika Bazaar in sector-19.
- Visiting The Grand Elante Mall- The bustling Elante Mall is spread over an area of 20 acres. It is the second-largest shopping mall in entire North India, having a three-layer multi-level parking garage. It has many international brands occupying a single building. For the help of tourists, it has many elevators and escalators. It has eight-screen cinemas to watch movies along with a spacious food court. It almost has all kinds of things to shop along with good dining on the same floor. Whenever you visit Chandigarh, this place is a must-visit one for you.
- Heritage Walk Tour- It is always a good idea to explore different landmarks in Chandigarh via Heritage Walk tours. Capital Complex organizes the most popular one of these Heritage tours. The term completely covers Le Corbusier’s wonder, such as the high court’s of Punjab and Haryana. It also tours you to the Secretariat and Legislative Assembly along with Chandigarh’s famous emblem, martyr’s memorial. You can find more about this tours from any tourist information center in the city of Chandigarh.
- Restaurants- Chandigarh has some of the country’s best dining spots, whereas Swagath and Mainland China in sector-26 are the best ones. Kylin Elante, Whistling Duck, Virgin Courtyard, and Dastaan provide attractive food for the tourists. These are famous for their variety of dishes ranging from non-veg, south Indian to Mughal cuisine. You can choose according to your taste buds order.
How To Reach Chandigarh?
- By Air- The Chandigarh airport is like twelve kilometers away from the central city. Along with providing domestic services, it also now offers international flights. Major flight carriers like Spice Jet, Air India, and Indigo Airlines operate here.
- By Road- The capital of New Delhi is 260 kilometers away from Chandigarh. The majority of the streets between these cities are covered by an eight-lane highway, including regular flyovers to lessen traffic. It makes driving from Delhi-Chandigarh a little easy. There are regular bus services that connect Chandigarh to all major cities of India.
- By Train- The rail network is well connected to every state capitals and metropolitan cities. There are dozens of trains plying daily from Chandigarh to every town.
Chandigarh comes amongst as one of the best well-planned cities in the country. It is both a metropolitan city as well as a Union Territory. It dignifies itself as the capital of two states, Punjab and Haryana, who have the same cultures. With its incredible history and beautifully planned scriptures, Chandigarh serves as the ultimate destination for any tourist. It is rich in cultures among diversity. So, if you’re looking for this, then get ready and pack your bags along with your dear ones to visit this remarkable city. Our article intends to help you out with everything on visiting the beautiful city. In case of any assistance, you can always contact us. We are always ready to make your trip outstanding.