A Glance of Phillaur Fort Ludhiana: A Symbol of Punjab’s Rich Heritage (2022)
The Phillaur Fort, a symbol of Punjab’s rich heritage, was initially constructed by the “Shah Jahan.” The massive Fort is situated on the Grand Trunk Road in the Phillaur town of Ludhiana. The 200-year-old Fort is now popularly known as Maharaja Ranjit Singh Punjab Police Academy. The Phillaur Fort even holds great historical significance, which cannot be missed. The place is home to the shrine of “Pir Baba Abdullah Shah Ji” and even has a museum that shows a lot of antiques and war items.
Let’s Talk About The Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana
The Phillaur Fort or Maharaja Ranjit Singhji Fort was built by “Maharaja Ranjit Singh”; it is a massive structure located on the Grant Trunk Road. The Phillaur Fort is a display of the heritage & strength symbol of Punjab. The Fort houses a dargah & museum. The architectural style of the Phillaur fort is what the visitors love the most. The Fort was built to serve the purpose of a military fortress for Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Best Time to Visit Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana
Winter, i.e., October to March, is the best time to visit the Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana. Winters are believed as the perfect time to visit because the weather is delightful at this time & one can also enjoy all the outdoor activities during this time of the year. However, the Phillaur Fort remains open during the summers too, but as the temperature rises to 38 degrees Celsius, many of you might not enjoy it. While during winters, the temperature remains between 8 to 23 degrees Celsius.
The visiting hours of the Phillaur Fort are from 9 am to 5 pm. And the entry in the Fort is free of charge.
Must-Visit Places Near the Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana
Phillaur is a small yet beautiful town, and the Fort is the most prominent tourist attraction here. But there are some other places around where you can enjoy and have a good time during your trip to Phillaur, Ludhiana. Some of them are the following:
1. Rakh Bagh Park: Rakh Bagh Park is a great picnic spot. The park has multiple things to offer, including rides, toy trains, activities, games, etc. The Rakh Bagh Park even has a walking track, bicycle lane, eatery areas with full security. We advise you to avoid visiting the park on weekends, as it will be too crowded.
2. Tiger Safari: The Tiger Safari is undoubtedly a great place to visit, especially when traveling with kids. Your kids will indeed have a good time here. The tickets are even quite reasonable, but the only thing which should be remembered while planning to visit this place is to have enough time in hand.
Timings: 10 am – 5 pm [Tuesday to Sunday]
3. Nehru Rose Garden: Nehru Rose Garden is named after Pandit Nehru. This Nehru Rose Garden is even a beautiful place to visit with unique attractions for children and adults. Another added benefit of visiting this place is, it has a Nehru Planetarium making it a go-to-place for many students.
4. Guru Nanak Stadium: The Guru Nanak Stadium is a huge football stadium located in Ludhiana. At this place, the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2001 National Games of India were conducted. The Stadium is quite big and well equipped enough for various sports activities with ongoing matches.
Timings: 5 am – 7 pm [Monday to Saturday]
How to Reach Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana?
Road: The easiest way to reach the Phillaur Fort in Ludhiana is to go via cars, as Ludhiana is well connected. And one can even find buses and cabs with so much ease. The distance between Delhi to Phillaur Fort is around 330 km away.
Rail: There are 12 direct trains from Delhi to Phillaur. “Ndlsasr Express” is the best way to reach Phillaur [319 km] in just 6 hours. The railway station is named Phillaur Junction, and from here, the Fort is at a distance of 5 minutes. One can reach the Phillaur Fort either by walking or can even take an auto-rickshaw.
Air: Travelling through the air is the fastest way to reach out to the Phillaur. The “Sahnewal Airport” is the nearest airport to Phillaur. After reaching the airport, taking cabs and buses are the only possible options to get the Fort.
Things To Do For A Memorable Phillaur Fort Trip
There are multiple other places where you can visit during your trip to the Phillaur Fort to make your trip memorable.
- Mystery Rooms: Mystery trip is a fantastic thing to do when you are on a trip to the Phillauri Fort. It is a challenge in the form of a theme-based game, where you have one hour to solve the puzzle and rescue yourself among other team members.
- Pavillion Mall: This Pavillion Mall is one of Ludhiana’s biggest malls, and it has endless things to offer under a roof. From shopping to games, from food to movies, it has everything to fill your entire day with memories.
- Punjab Agricultural University Museum: This is a must-visit place near Phillaur Fort. Punjab Agricultural University Museum offers rare antiques on display representing the rich culture and traditions of Punjab.
Places to Stay Near Phillaur Fort
Phillaur is a small town, and it doesn’t have any right place to offer accommodation. But Malakpur is just 11 km away from it and has some fantastic options to stay:
- Hotel Onn
- Hotel Nirvana
- Radisson Blue Hotel Ludhiana
- Hyatt Regency Ludhiana
- Keys Select Hotel Ludhiana
What to Pack
- Always carry your ID Cards.
- Carry all your essentials like toothpaste, toothbrush, first-aid kit, hand sanitizer, sunscreen & moisturizer.
- Carry all the required medicines.
- You can even carry a camera with you to capture all the historical stuff that you’ll be witnessing over there.
A quick trip to the Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana, is an ideal weekend getaway away from the hustle-bustle of the daily busy life. This location is a must-visit if you are a history lover and planning a trip to Punjab. It will also be one of its kinds of experiences if you can plan the trip in February. So you can visit all the major destinations and even witness the crazy “Kila Raipur Sports Festival.”