Your Complete Travel Guide For Alwar, Rajasthan (2021)
If your idea of a vacation involves travelling back in the pages of history, exploring the rich heritage of India, visiting grand havelis and spending time amidst natural serenity, then we have found out just the perfect vacation destination for your fun getaway. While travelling from Delhi to the state of Rajasthan, the first major city you will come across is Alwar. Located at a distance of about 150 km north of Jaipur, Alwar is one of the top tourist places to visit in Rajasthan. Being a house to a plethora of interesting tourist attractions including grand forts, mesmerising lakes, heritage havelis and natural reserves such as Sariska Tiger Reserve, there is no doubt as to why Alwar is considered as a hub of tourism.
Owing to its stunning natural beauty, the city of Alwar has also found a place for itself in plenty of Bollywood movies as well, which in turn attracts all the more travellers. Surrounded by the majestic Aravalli hills, ranging from its rich culture to its royal heritage, there are a plethora of reasons why you should not miss visiting Alwar on your next getaway. Are you still a little unsure about Alwar? Do you wish to know more about this popular tourist place in Rajasthan? If yes, then you have stumbled across just the right link. In this travel guide for Alwar, we have listed down some important information about the place which will help you make up your mind easily. Continue reading to know more!
Why Should You Visit Alwar?
It is natural for you to wonder why Alwar should be your next vacation destination and it is our job to get the answers you are seeking for.
Nestled in the lap of the lush and mighty Aravalli hills, Alwar is one destination offering a complete fun package. In this Alwar travel guide, we have listed some quick pointers as to why Alwar is undoubtedly a must – visit tourist place in Rajasthan. They are:
- Mega Alwar Trade Fair: If you are in for shopping and getting the best of the city, then this popular fair is held in Alwar every year in the Dussehra Ground. If you visit this fair, you will get to see a plethora of amazing products ranging from handmade gifts to papier mache to garments and a lot more. People come from far and away to visit this fair.
- Rich History: It is said that Vikrami Samvat, the King of Amer founded the city of Alpur under his own name which eventually turned into Alwar in the year 1106. The place was ruled by a plenty of Rajput sub – clans over time including Khanzada Rajputs, Nikumbha Rajputs and many more. Tracing its origins from as far back as to 1500 BC, Alwar boasts of being one of the oldest Rajasthani Kingdoms. To explore this land seeped with the rich heritage of the bygone days is a treat for any history buff.
- Festivals and fairs: Like the rest of the state, the city of Alwar is also known to celebrate a plethora of festivals with a lot of vigor and excitement. The Matsya festival is one of the most culturally integral festivals of the city. Held usually in the month of November, this 2 – days festival is known to reflect the rich heritage and pride of Alwar city. Several colorful processions, art exhibitions and cultural performances are organised during the festival.
- Delicious cuisine: The city is home to an utterly delicious cuisine and offers its visitors the taste of a variety of true Rajasthani dishes. The city is exceptionally popular for its sweet desserts including Alwar ka Mawa or a milk cake and Kalakand. Other than these unique sweet dishes, some of the popular traditional Rajasthani dishes and snacks you can try here are Dal Bati Choorma, Gatte Ki Sabzi, Puri, Rabdi and a lot more.
- Picturesque location: Being a home to a plethora of grand forts, royal palaces, stunning lakes and lush green forests, the city of Alwar is truly beautiful in every sense. With the magnificent Aravalli hills as the backdrop, the already scenic landscape of the city becomes all the more picturesque and stunning.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Alwar, Rajasthan?
Like the rest of the Indian State of Rajasthan, Alwar has a dry climate with days comparatively hotter and the nights being cool. Though the winter season can get a bit cold, this is also the best time to visit the city. If you haven’t done all your bookings yet, it is recommended that you plan your trip to this popular tourist place in Rajasthan somewhere in between the months of October and March. The weather during this time is pleasant enough for all the sightseeing and exploration activities.
How to Reach Alwar, Rajasthan?
If your mind is clouded by questions like is it hard to reach Alwar or if the city is well – connected and so on, then we would be pleased to put you at ease. This popular tourist place in Rajasthan is well – connected with a plenty of cities throughout the country via multiple means of transports. You can easily reach it:
- By Air: Though Alwar doesn’t have an airport in its premises and hence has no direct flight connectivity but the nearest airport is located in Jaipur. This airport is located at a distance of about 165 km from the city of Alwar. Once you reach the airport, you can easily hire a taxi or take a bus ride to reach your destination.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach Alwar is located in the city itself. Alwar junction is the primary railway station serving the city. Regular rail services connect the city of Alwar to many cities and states throughout the country of India.
- By Road: The city of Alwar is well – connected via roadways as well to many nearby cities and states. A plenty of buses run to and fro from the nearby cities such as Jaipur, Jodhpur and so on, on a daily basis. The best part is that these buses run frequently throughout the day and night. Other than that, you can also travel by personal vehicle, take shared taxis or hire a cab as well.
Popular Tourist Places to Visit in Alwar, Rajasthan
Flooded with royal palaces, grand forts, colorful markets, ancient gardens and many other scenic attractions, there is a lot to explore in the city of Alwar, making it one of the most interesting tourist places to visit in Rajasthan. It is the perfect place for you to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. Some of the top tourist places you can explore in the city are:
1. City Palace
If you always had this fantasy to visit a palace, then City palace should be the top tourist place to visit in Alwar for you. Built by Raja Bakhtaya Singh in the year 1873, this palace appears to have come alive from a fairy tale book. Sporting a lovely combination of Rajput and Mughal architecture, the imposing structure of the palace includes 15 towers which are aided by 51 smaller towers. The entire palace is beautifully decked up with mesmerising murals and stunning work on the walls as well as ceiling. Once a royal palace, it has now been converted into a museum that has several royal memorable items on display for the public. Attracting a plenty of people from far away, this palace is surely worth a visit. Image Source
- Location: Mohalla Ladiya, Alwar, Rajasthan 301001
- Opening Hours: You can visit the palace anytime from 10 AM till 4.30 PM.
- Entry Fee: For visiting the palace, visitors have to pay a meagre entry fee of Rs. 5.
- Highlight of the place: The royal heritage and architectural brilliance.
2. Siriska Wildlife Sanctuary
If you are a true wildlife enthusiast and wish to watch the animals roaming freely in their natural habitat, then Siriska Wildlife Sanctuary is a must – visit tourist place in Alwar for you. Sprawling over a vast area of about 850 square km, this sanctuary is located at a distance of just 36 km from Alwar. Other than being a home to a vast variety of wildlife species, the Siriska Wildlife sanctuary also boasts of a lush green topography which comprises huge grasslands, dense dry deciduous forests and rocky cliffs. The reserve also houses the Kankwari fort within its premises which serves as a prime highlight of the place.
- Location: Subhash Chowk Station road Malakhera, Alwar, Rajasthan, 301406
- Opening Hours: You can visit the place anytime from 6 AM till 9.30 PM.
- Entry Fee: For visiting this sanctuary, visitors have to pay an entry fee of Rs. 75.
- Highlight of the place: Vast variety of wildlife, flora and fauna
Boasting of being one of the first Rajput states to have aligned itself with the British Empire, Alwar today is rightly referred as the perfect getaway or vacation destination.
FAQ’s For Tourists Visiting Alwar
Q1. Is Summer A Good Time To Visit Alwar?
Ans. It is better not to visit Alwar during summers as the city can get really hot with temperatures rising as high to about 50 degrees Celsius in the season.
Q2. What Can One Buy In Alwar?
Ans. Some of the stuff you can shop for in the city includes colorful bangles, silverware, zardozi, home décor items, beads, silk threads, etc.
Q3. Is Alwar Safe to Visit?
Ans. If you follow the general safety precautions, then Alwar is a relatively safe place to visit.