Udaipur, Rajasthan Travel Guide: From Mighty Forts To Breathtaking Places Udaipur Has It All (2024)
If there is one city in Rajasthan which screams of royalty and romance, then it is definitely the beautiful city of lakes – Udaipur! This top-notch destination is a must visit for anyone visiting Rajasthan. From mighty forts to breathtaking places to vast public gardens to local traditions and culture at its finest – this city has all this and more to offer to its visitors. Over the past few years, Udaipur has also become synonymous with royal weddings as it has emerged as one of the top destination wedding locations in India. Apart from this, this city of lakes has also become famous for featuring in a number of Bollywood as well as Hollywood movies.
This historical and royal yet modern city of Udaipur in Rajasthan is also known as the ‘Venice of East’. Engulfed by the massive Aravalli Ranges and four lakes, Udaipur is truly a paradise for historical as well as architectural buffs. Its natural beauty combined with the stunning architecture of various forts, palaces, and temples has made Udaipur one of the most visited cities in Rajasthan.
In this Udaipur travel guide, we have listed down some key information which will make it extremely easy for you to plan a successful and wholesome trip to Udaipur. From how to reach Udaipur to famous tourist spots to the best time to visit – this Udaipur travel guide will answer all your queries.
How to Reach Udaipur?
The popularity of Udaipur as a tourist destination has ensured that it is easily accessible via all three modes of transportation – air, rail, and road.
- By Air: If you prefer travelling by air, then pack your bags and book your tickets to Maharana Pratap Airport in Udaipur. This domestic airport is well-connected to a number of major cities in India as well as to other cities within Rajasthan. So, you can easily take a flight from any of the major cities such as Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Jodhpur, etc. This is definitely one of the best and quickest ways to reach Udaipur.
- By Rail: The Udaipur railway station is situated right in the main city of Udaipur, thus, making rail travel an easy and affordable way to reach Udaipur. There are a number of regular as well as express trains running to and from Udaipur to a number of cities in India. Once you get down at the Udaipur railway station, you can come out and easily hire a taxi or auto rickshaw to take you to your hotel. For travelers visiting from Delhi, another great option is to book a train ticket on the lavish Palace on Wheels train for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- By Road: Udaipur is well-connected by road to most of the cities within Rajasthan such as Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, etc., as well as to cities outside of Rajasthan such as Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Ahmedabad, etc.
Places To Visit In Udaipur
When it comes to tourist attractions in Udaipur, there is no truly no dearth of choices! Below is a list of some of the must-visit tourist attractions in Udaipur.
- Lake Pichola – This artificial lake is one of the oldest and largest lakes in Udaipur. Surrounded by mighty hills, bathing ghats, and heritage structures, the Lake Pichola is one of the most visited sites in Udaipur. The views around this lake is absolutely mesmerizing, especially during the evenings when the sun’s reflection on the lake makes everything around glisten and sparkle. This is truly the best place in Udaipur to sit and relax after a hectic day. Do enjoy the boating facilities offered here. Image Source
- City Palace – The City Palace in Udaipur is truly a beauty in itself! This epic palace has been built by 22 Maharanas beginning in the 16th century and lasting until the 20th century. Situated on the banks of Lake Pichola, this majestic palace has a number of Mahals within it, corridors, terraces, hanging gardens, stunning rooms, pavilions, and courtyards. Visitors must take a stroll through the museum here which has some beautiful Rajput arts, paintings, etc., exhibited. This top tourist attraction in Udaipur in Rajasthan has also served as the ideal location for movies such as Octopussy and Guide.
- Jag Mandir Palace – Jag Mandir Palace built during the 17th century is an architectural beauty located on an island on Lake Pichola in Udaipur, Rajasthan. A quick boat ride will take you to this beautiful sightseeing spot which boasts of a spacious garden having black and white marble tiles. This three-storied marble and yellow sandstone structure features eight stunning life-sized elephants made out of pure white marble standing guard at the entrance. Visitors can also enjoy some lip-smacking dishes at the Darikhana restaurant located on the premises of the palace.
- Eklingji Temple – The Eklingji Temple in Udaipur, Rajasthan is famous throughout Rajasthan and should definitely be on your Udaipur itinerary. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the Eklingji Temple is a double-storied structure having a distinctively carved tower and pyramid style of roof. The temple’s exterior features steps which touch the surrounding water. This temple is famous for the stunning idol of Lord Shiva. It is a four-faced idol depicting four different forms of Lord Shiva. Made of black marble, this statue has a staggering height of 50 feet and has a Shivalinga with a silver snake around it. This temple attracts a huge number of visitors during Shivratri.
- Sajjangarh Palace – Named after Maharana Sajjan Singh, the Sajjangarh Palace is situated on the top of a hill just on the outskirts of Udaipur. This palace was the former residence of the Mewar dynasty and was established in the year 1884. This palace which is also known as the Monsoon Palace is a beautiful representation of the Rajput architecture and comprises tall towers, balconies, pillars, and turrets.
- Fateh Sagar Lake – The Fateh Sagar Lake is another popular tourist spot in Udaipur. This is the second largest artificial lake in Udaipur which is popular among the tourists for its spectacular scenic beauty. Covering an area of about one square kilometer, the Fateh Sagar Lake comprises three islands – Nehru Park which consists of a boat-shaped restaurant and a small zoo, the second island comprises a public park with water fountains, and the third island comprises the Udaipur Solar Observatory. This is one of the most popular tourist destinations for a weekend visit.
- Vintage Car Museum – Visitors to the City Palace in Udaipur must also visit the Vintage car museum situated close to it. This amazing tourist spot is truly a haven for automobile lovers who will have the opportunity to check out some amazing vintage cars used during the Mewar dynasty. Among the various models available on display, do check out the models of Rolls Royce and Mercedes which were custom-made for the Royal family.
- Doodh Talai Musical Garden – If you wish to enjoy a quiet evening with your family and friends and admire a beautiful sunset, then head to the Doodh Talai Musical Garden. This rock and fountain garden also has the facility of cable cars which connect the Karni Mata Temple and Doodh Talai Garden.
- Shilpgram – Shilpgram is a beautiful tourist spot located just 3 km on the outskirts of Udaipur. This museum is one of the best places to experience not just authentic Rajasthani culture and heritage but also that of other parts of Western India. The primary aim of this museum is to promote the way of living of and culture of various ethnic minorities and tribal communities. Inaugurated by Rajiv Gandhi in 1989, visitors to Shilpgram will get to experience different art forms such as puppetry, dance, music, theatre, handicraft, art, etc.
Apart from these, some of the other popular sites in Udaipur that are worth visiting include:
- Jaisamand Lake
- Jagdish Temple
- Saheliyon Ki Bari
- Bada Mahal
- Maharana Pratap Smarak
- Bharatiya Lok Kala Museum
- Neemach Mata Temple
- Crystal Gallery
- Bagore Ki Haveli
- Badi Lake
Best Time to Visit Udaipur
Udaipur experiences three main seasons – summer, monsoon, and winter.
- Summer (April – June) – Keeping the hot climate of Rajasthan in mind, it is best to avoid visiting Udaipur during the summer season as it can be really uncomfortable because of the horrid heat. With temperatures reaching up to 40oC, you will not prefer going out and hence, will definitely miss out on viewing all the majestic palaces and forts in all their glory. The sweltering heat will really leave you sweating and searching for shade.
- Monsoon (July – September) – The monsoon season is a good season to visit Udaipur as the weather is quite warm during the daytime. This will make your sightseeing tour all the more enjoyable. Also, Udaipur has a lot of rooftop dining options and boating services at various lakes which can be thoroughly enjoyed during this season.
- Winter (October – March) – This is the best time to visit Udaipur as the temperature averages between 10oC to 20oC. This weather is the perfect weather to experience all that Udaipur has to offer – from falling in love with the stunning palaces to taking breathtaking views of imposing forts to taking lazy strolls through the markets! This season is the best season to indulge in various activities in Udaipur such as birdwatching, boat riding, trekking, camel riding, etc. Another reason to visit Udaipur during the winter season is to take part in some of the famous festivals such as Kumbhalgarh Festival, Udaipur World Music Festival, World Living Heritage Festival, etc.
Though Rajasthan is a large state with a number of cities worth visiting, it is highly recommended that you include Udaipur in your itinerary because this is one royal city in Rajasthan that is simply not worth missing out on! This tourist destination has everything from sightseeing spots to delicious restaurants to colorful bazaars to a wide variety of fun and adventurous activities for people of all age groups.