Your Travel Guide For Bikaner, Rajasthan (2023)
Rajasthan is a land of rich tradition, vibrant culture, royal palaces, grand fort and plethora of exciting sightseeing attractions. As a result, a huge bunch of travellers visit the state frequently all over the year for a fun, unique and relaxing experiencing. There are lot of interesting tourist places in Rajasthan, which makes it nothing short of a safe haven for travellers. Located in the midst of the sprawling Thar desert, Bikaner in Rajasthan is just like a blooming beauty. Telling many untold secrets and tales about the opulence of its rulers, Bikaner is the perfect tourist place to visit in Rajasthan for all the history buffs.
Apart from all the historical marvels, another thing which makes this beautiful place so attractive and appealing it’s yummy snacks and dishes. You will also be pleased to know that the city is also popularly known as the ‘camel country’ for breeding best – known riding camels. With its thrilling activities such as desert safari and the sand dune safari, the city of Bikaner offers a plenty of adventure as well. All in all, Bikaner is a complete fun package for a memorable, thrilling and relaxing getaway. If you wish to know more about this city, then you have stumbled across just the right place. In this travel guide for Bikaner, we have collected some of the essential information about the city which you must know before actually visiting it. Continue reading to know more!
History of Bikaner, Rajasthan
Talking about the history of this colorful city of Rajasthan, it dates back to long ago in the golden pages of the book of history. It was in the 15th century that Bikaner was a barren land that was ruled by the Rajputs and was known by the name of ‘Jangladesh’. In the year 1488, the namesake city was established by Rao Bika and he even built the Junagarh fort which is now considered as a popular tourist attraction to visit in Bikaner. You would be pleased to know that; considered as the oasis in between the Thar Desert, Bikaner served as a strategic point of trade between Central Asia and Gujarat. Specifically talking about the major construction and development that happened in Bikaner, then it would undoubtedly be under the rule of Raja Rai Singh. He ruled from 1571 AD till 1611 AD and even won several wars and accolades. This brave ruler even conquered the Mewar kingdom and got handsomely rewarded for the same. It was in the 18th century that the kingdom fell into the hands of the British Empire. Though the Royal family kept ruling the city but the main control was in the hands of Britishers. Gradually, the royal family of Bikaner shifted to the Lalgarh Palace where they continued to reside till date. Owing to its interesting history, Bikaner is one of the favourite places to explore for all the history buffs.
Popular Places to Visit in Bikaner, Rajasthan
As far as sightseeing attractions are concerned, there are plenty of popular tourist places in Bikaner to explore. Some of the best ones you can consider visiting during your trip are:
1. Junagarh Fort
Initially known by the name of Chintamani, Junagarh fort is one magnificent structure around which the city of Bikaner has grown up. It is believed that the foundation for this fort was laid back in 1478 by Rao Bika. However, it stayed as just a stone fort then. The grand structure that you can see now was inaugurated in the year 1589. Apart from its rich historical significance, another attractive feature of the Junagarh fort is its architectural brilliance. The multiple gardens, balconies, forts, kiosks and so on inside the palace reflect composite architectural styles which are influenced by the various cultural styles of the different rulers and also foreign inspirations. Despite its historic construction, this majestic fort stands proudly in all its glory till date and is considered as a popular tourist place to visit in Bikaner. Image Source
- Opening Hours: You can visit the place between 10 AM till 4.30 PM.
- Total Time to explore: About 2 to 3 hours would be enough.
- Entry Fee: The travellers who are Indian citizens have to pay a meagre entry fee of Rs. 50, while the entry fee for the foreign travellers is Rs. 300. The audio tour is for Rs. 350 and for visiting the Phool Mahal as well as Chander Mahal, the price would be Rs. 100.
- Photography: Visitors are allowed to click pictures inside the fort premises.
2. Karni Mata Temple
Also known by the name of the Nari Mata Temple or the Rat Temple, Karni Mata Temple is believed to be a 600 – year old temple. The thing which makes this temple unique is that it is a home to about 25,000 black rats and they are worshiped here. In fact, the food eaten by these rats is considered holy and is later served in the form of prasad. People from all over the world come to visit this temple and pay their respects to these rats, making it one of the popular tourist places to visit in Bikaner. There are plenty of tales and legends associated with the temple as well as the rats that live here but there is no definite history of this unique shrine known till now. Other than that, the temple is also immensely popular for its architectural brilliance which reflects Mughal architectural style. Adorning a fantastic marble façade and carvings, the charm of this unique temple is inexpressible.
- Opening Hours: You can visit the temple anytime in between 4 AM till 10 PM.
- Total Time to explore: About 1 to 2 hours would be enough.
- Entry Fee: There is no entry fee to visit this unique temple.
- Photography: Visitors are allowed to click pictures inside the temple premises.
The city of Bikaner with its vibrant deserts, fabulous forts, magnificent architecture and exceptional art and culture, will make you fall in love with itself. If you are a wanderlust traveller who wishes to go on a cultural exploration on this getaway vacation, then Bikaner would be an appropriate choice for you.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Bikaner, Rajasthan?
If you have already fallen in love with this beautiful city in Rajasthan and are looking forward to the best time to visit Bikaner, then it is recommended that you should probably plan your visit in between the months of October and March. The city experiences the winter season during this period. Moreover, if you visit the place during the month of January, you can also become a part of the popular camel festival which is organised here annually. Visiting Bikaner during monsoon season is not recommended as the weather during this period becomes pretty humid and hot, thereby spoiling the sightseeing experience. Hence, though winters may get a bit chilly but this season is actually the best time to visit Bikaner, especially if you wish to properly explore the city.
How to Reach Bikaner, Rajasthan?
If the thing that is stressing you down is travelling issues or facing difficulty in reaching the vacation destination, we would be pleased to tell you that you will face no such thing as far as Bikaner is concerned. This popular place to visit in Rajasthan is well – connected with several major cities and states via different modes of transports. You can easily reach it:
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach Bikaner is the Nal Airport. It is located close to the city and just 13 km away from Bikaner. However, it is still under construction and has not started operations yet. The next nearest airport to reach Bikaner would be the Jodhpur airport which is located at a distance of about 251 km from Bikaner. This airport is well – developed and well – connected with various major cities throughout the country. Once you reach the airport, you can easily take a bus or hire a taxi to reach your destination.
- By Rail: There are two railway stations located close to Bikaner. They are Bikaner Junction and Lalgarh Railway Junction. They are located at a distance of just about 6 km from the city, so you don’t have to worry about travelling issues. These railway junctions are well – connected with a plenty of major cities including Delhi, Jaipur, Punjab, Hyderabad, Mumbai and many others too. Once you reach the station, you can easily take a cab or hire a taxi to reach your destination.
- By Road: The city of Bikaner is well – connected with roads to many nearby cities. There is a regular bus service that runs from a plenty of nearby cities to Bikaner on a daily basis. You can choose between travelling from a government bus or a private bus. Taxis travelling to Bikaner are also easily available. Since the roads are considerably smooth, you can also travel by personal vehicle.
FAQ’s for Tourists Visiting Bikaner
Q1. Who Should Visit Bikaner?
Ans. Bikaner is the perfect tourist place to visit in Rajasthan for foodies, architecture buffs and all those people who wish to know more about the rich culture, tradition and history of the state.
Q2. What Are The Popular Dishes Of Bikaner?
Ans. Bikaner is mainly popular for its Bhujias, Namkeens, Samosa, Kachori, Ghevar, Fini and Rabri.
Q3. Is Summer Season A Good Time To Visit Bikaner?
Ans. You should definitely avoid visiting the city during the summer season as not only the temperature rises to about 46 degrees Celsius but there are high changes of dust storms as well.