Manjeera Reservoir: Surround Yourself With Lush Greenery in Sangareddy, Telangana (2021)
Located 70 km away from the city of Hyderabad, Manjeera Reservoir in the Sangareddy district of Telangana is one of the top weekend getaways. Being an earth-fill dam, this reservoir was actually dry till the month of September in 2016. Whether you are looking for a spot to go on a picnic with your friends or family, the Manjeera reservoir is undoubtedly one of the best places. Besides being home to an environmental education center, Manjeera reservoir is home to a crocodile-breeding pond as well.
How To Reach The Manjeera Reservoir in Telangana?
There are a couple of ways to reach the Manjeera reservoir in the state of Telangana. This reservoir can be easily accessed by rail or road as well.
- By Air: Located 74 km away from Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, the Manjeera reservoir can be easily reached by cab in one and a half hours from the airport. If you are traveling from any other state or country, this is the best way for you to reach the Manjeera reservoir.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to the Manjeera reservoir is the Shankarpally railway station. Located 29 km away from the station, the Manjeera reservoir can be easily reached in an hour.
- By Road: Manjeera reservoir is roughly 6 km away from Sangareddy. It takes 15 minutes for you to reach the reservoir from Sangareddy. You can also take a cab from Hyderabad and reach the reservoir in two hours.
What Is The Best Time to Visit the Manjeera Reservoir?
The Manjeera reservoir is experienced best during the months of winter. You can also visit the dam during the monsoon months. Visit the dam during the mornings and evenings to experience the surrounding nature at its best.
Why Should You Visit the Manjeera Reservoir?
There are plenty of reasons which attract thousands of visitors from different parts of the country to the Manjeera reservoir. Here are some of the best reasons to visit the reservoir.
- Surround Yourself With Lush Greenery: The Manjeera reservoir unravels the best opportunity for you to get closer to nature. Adorned with lush greenery, this road to the reservoir has greenery on either side of it. Image Source
- Be Greeted By Peacocks: As you travel to the Manjeera reservoir, you will be able to spot the peacocks that will welcome you to the reservoir.
- Visit The Manjeera Crocodile Sanctuary: Manjeera reservoir is also home to the Manjeera Crocodile Sanctuary which is often said to be a smaller version of the crocodile bank located near Chennai. After being set up in 1980, this sanctuary was set up for the purpose of rehabilitation of crocodiles. Image Source
- Explore Birding Opportunities: The Manjeera reservoir also provides you with an excellent opportunity to explore different kinds of birds such as Grey hornbill, Tree pipit, Black drongo, Fruit bat, Brahminy Kite, Owlets, etc.
What Are The Other Places to Visit Near The Manjeera Reservoir?
There are a few places to visit near the Manjeera reservoir in Sangareddy. Here is a list of the best places that you should consider visiting during your trip to the Manjeera reservoir. Adding these places to your itinerary will certainly add to your memory.
- Heritage Jail Museum: Located approximately 6 km away from the Manjeera reservoir, Heritage Jail Museum in the Sangareddy district is one of the top places to visit in Telangana. It is believed that this prison was built in 1796 AD under the rulership of Prime Minister Salar Jung I. This 220-year old prison has now been converted into a museum that attracts hundreds of visitors now. Many tourists come here to live the life of a prisoner at the cost of INR 500. The idea of Feel the Jail was incorporated by M. Lakshmi Narasimha, the Deputy SP of the jail in 2016. You will also find paintings and artifacts on display here.
- ASI Museum: Located 22 km away from the Manjeera reservoir, ASI museum is known for being the only Archaeological Survey of India museum in Telangana state. This museum is home to a number of artifacts that were found at an ancient mound popularly known as Kotagadda. After being explored by famous archaeologist Henry Cousens in 1900, the site was further used by the department of archaeology under the rule of the Nizams. You will find a diverse range of minor antiquities here that date back to the 2nd century AD. ASI took the administrative control of this museum in the year 1952. Image Source
- Singur Dam: Located 42 km away from the Manjeera reservoir, Singur Dam is one of the best places to visit in Telangana. Besides unraveling the best opportunity for you to experience sylvan beauty, this dam has a capacity of 30 TMC and caters to the irrigational and drinking water needs of Hyderabad. The national wildlife reserve here makes it easier for you to get closer to different kinds of birds as well. This is one of the most prominent dams and was built on the Manjeera river in the year 1989. Image Source
Where To Stay Near The Manjeera Reservoir?
The town of Medak has different accommodation options. If you would like to stay near the Manjeera reservoir, you should definitely explore the pocket-friendly hotels available in Medak.