Top 20 Cool Summer Holiday Destinations in India : Beat the Heat (2023)
India is about to experience summer soon. Are you worried about the summer heat? How about planning for a perfect trip to any cool and amazing place? India is blessed with some of the most exciting and cool places that could help you beat the summer heat. Enjoying the pleasant weather, while exploring some of the most beautiful sights and getting indulged in exciting things at cool places in the country could gift you and your loved ones some amazing summer holiday time. Read further to know about the top 20 summer holiday destinations in India.
Top 20 Cool Summer Holiday Destinations in India: Beat the Heat
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
One of the best summer destinations in India is Shimla. Known as The Queen of Hill Stations in Himachal Pradesh, this beautiful cool place in India will make you forget all your worries about the summer heat and give you the most pleasant time to spend some wonderful times with your family and friends. The best thing about Shimla is that there are a lot of things to do here and that too while staying in comfortable places.
Things To Do In Shimla:
- Go on White water rafting at Tattapani.
- Trek to Jakhu Hanuman Temple, located on the top of a hill.
- Visit Christ Church and witness its beauty.
- Take a ride on the Toy Train from Kalka to Shimla.
- Visit Kufri, Mashobra, and Chail.
How To Reach Shimla: One of the best ways to reach Shimla is via The Himalayan Toy Train. However, the nearest airport is in Chandigarh and the nearest railway station is in Kalka. There are frequent buses, and cabs available from major cities in Himachal Pradesh.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Spend your summer days on the beaches in Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal and experience the relaxing weather whilst witnessing the cerulean waters and sandy shores. You also get a chance to explore the tropical rainforests and many historical sites in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Moreover, you can also experience some of the best adventure sports on the beaches here.
Things To Do In Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Try adventure sports like scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, etc.
- Visit Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, Port Blair, and Neil Island.
- Bird watching in the tropical rainforests is one of the best things to do on these islands.
- Visit Barren Island to see the only active volcano in India.
- Try out delicious tropical fruits and coconut water on your summer holidays here.
How To Reach Andaman: There are flight connections to Port Blair from some major airports. You can also find sea cruises. Andaman is connected well with port cities like Vizag, Kolkata, and Chennai via waterways.
Darjeeling, West Bengal
Darjeeling in West Bengal is one of the top 20 summer holiday destinations in India. This is a blessed destination where you can witness beautiful sights like the majestic Kanchenjunga and the emerald-green tea plantations. Darjeeling also offers you a wonderful chance to learn about Tibetan roots at various alluring monasteries. The cool climate and natural sights all around will surely make your summer holidays one of the most memorable ones.
Things To Do In Darjeeling
- Explore Tea Gardens at Happy Vallery Tea Estate.
- Visit Batasia Loop and Gorkha War Memorial.
- Trek to the Peace Pagoda located at Charlemont Hill
- Explore the vast range of wildlife at Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park.
- Visit Tiger Hill and watch the beautiful sunrise.
- Shop at Mall Road
How To Reach: The nearest railway station is in Jalpaiguri. A Toy Train Ride will take you from Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. The closest airport is in Siliguri. You can get cabs easily from Siliguri to Darjeeling.
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
What could be better than being surrounded by the scenic beauty of nature and snow-capped mountain peaks? Manali in Himachal Pradesh is full of natural beauty, greenery, mountains, and amazing rivers. You can enjoy your summer holidays in Manali while being indulged in various adventurous activities like trekking, paragliding, river rafting, etc. However, the best part of spending your holiday is enjoying the snow at the Rohtang Pass.
Things To Do In Manali
- Be engaged in adventure sports at Manali’s Solang Valley.
- Visit Rohtang Pass and enjoy the snow.
- Try river rafting in River Beas.
- Enjoy some time at the apple orchards
- Some of the best sights to witness are Van Vihar Himalayan Nyingmapa Gompa monastery, Club House, Hadimba Temple, etc.
- You can also go for short trips to Kullu, Jogini Falls, Arjuna Gufa, Manikaran Gurudwara, Bhrigu Lake, etc.
How To Reach Manali: The nearest airport is in Bhuntar, which is at a distance of 50 km from Manali, while the nearest railway station is Chandigarh. You can reach the beautiful hill town of Manali via the beautiful roads on cabs, buses, or your private vehicles.
Are you fond of adventure and want to spend some of the most happening times at a cool destination in India? Rishikesh in Uttarakhand is a wonderful summer holiday destination that has a lot to offer you. You can get engaged with various adventure sports like river rafting, fox flying, cliff jumping, and also India’s highest bungee jump in Rishikesh. However, Rishikesh is also beyond adventure. The beautiful place in North India gives you positive vibes since it is one of the best places to spend quality time by getting involved in spirituality. With many yoga centers, ashrams, and temples, this is a holy town and is known to be the World Capital of Yoga. This is the place where you get a chance to spend blissful time on the banks of River Ganga at the foothills of the Himalayas. So, this summer, plan a trip to Rishikesh and beat the summer heat.
Things To Do In Rishikesh
- Camping on the river banks.
- Getting indulged in various adventure activities, like river rafting in River Ganga, fox-flying on wires suspended between two mountains, etc.
- Explore some of the most beautiful ancient temples.
- Learn Yoga at various yoga centers and try meditation at different Ashrams here.
How To Reach Rishikesh: The nearest airport is the Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. However, the nearest international airport is Delhi Airport. The Haridwar railway station is the nearest one to Rishikesh if you are traveling via train.
If you are looking for a wonderful beach summer holiday in India, then plan your trip to the Lakshadweep Islands. These islands shine like emeralds in contrast to the cerulean waters and give you an amazing sight to enjoy. You not only get a chance to witness the beauty but also enjoy a lot of adventure sports here.
Things To Do In Lakshadweep
- Enjoy the adventure sports like wind-surfing, snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and swimming.
- Explore the beautiful coral reefs.
- Try out tropical fruits and fresh coconut water.
How To Reach Lakshadweep: You can reach Lakshadweep Islands from Kochi in Kerala via cruises. There are also regular flights from Kochi.
Munnar in Kerala is settled in the lap of the Western Ghats and is a beautiful escape for you when the heat increases in the summer. You have so many things to enjoy in Munnar, such as tea plantations, unique fauna, and flora, and also visit various places of natural beauty here. The pleasant weather will surely make your summer holidays one of the most exciting ones.
Things To Do In Munnar
- Trek to Anamudi Peak.
- Witness the beautiful tea gardens.
- Enjoy staying in a tree house.
- Visit Echo Point, Elephant Lake, and Kundala Lake.
- Explore Tata Tea Museum.
- A Shikara ride in Kundala Lake will make you feel amazing.
- Do not forget the Elephant safari at the Cramelagiri Elephant Park
How To Reach Munnar: This beautiful hill station in Kerala is well connected to all major cities of the state. The nearest airport is Kochi International Airport and the nearest railway station is Ernakulam Railway Station.
Kashmir Valley is a gorgeous valley in north India and one of the best summer holiday destinations in the country. This place is also known as the “Heaven on Earth” where you will enjoy every moment. The beauteous high mountains, green meadows, and various stunning places like Gulmarg, Srinagar, Aru Valley, Patnitop, and Pahalgam, will give you an exciting feeling that would remain in your memory for a long. So, planning a trip to Kashmir will be one of the best retreats for you in the summer.
Things To Do In Kashmir Valley:
- Spend a day on a houseboat on Dal Lake.
- Enjoy a Shikara ride across Dal Lake in Srinagar.
- You can enjoy a short pony ride in different valleys of Kashmir.
- Enjoy the views of snow-covered mountains in Gulmarg.
- Visit the Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden and explore a variety of tulips.
How To Reach Kashmir Valley: You can reach the Kashmir valley via flight and get down at the Srinagar Airport. The nearest railway station to Srinagar is the Jammu Tawi railway station in the Jammu region since there is no railway station or rail connectivity in Kashmir. However, there is excellent road connectivity in Kashmir.
Ranikhet in Uttarakhand is listed among our top 20 summer holiday destinations in India. It is located at an elevation of 1,829 meters in the foothills of the great Himalayas. This famous hill station in Uttarakhand has been developed in the British era and is also popular for being the headquarters of the Kumaon Regiment of the Indian Army. Your summer trip to Ranikhet will give you an amazing scope to witness the beauty of the Himalayas.
Things To Do In Ranikhet
- Play or learn golf at any of the golf courses.
- Go hiking from Chaubatia Orchards to Holm Farm.
- You can visit places like Haidakhan Babaji Temple, Bhalu Dam Dwarahat, Majhkhali, Golf Course, etc.
- Try paragliding at Wildrift Paragliding Camp.
How To Reach Ranikhet: The nearest airport is Patnagar airport, which is located at a distance of around 109 km from Ranikhet. The closest railway station is in Kathgodam, which is 75km away from the destination.
Northeast India has been blessed with some of the most beautiful and coolest destinations in India that would let you forget the summer heat. Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya is a great place to explore this summer. This is a beautiful hill station known for lush greenery, waterfalls, sparkling lakes, and wonderful weather. Shillong is also known as the “Scotland of the East” and is one of the top summer holiday destinations in India.
Things To Do In Shillong
- Sightseeing Shillong Peak, Elephant Falls, Sweet Falls, Lady Hydary Park, etc.
- Trek to Meghalaya Living Root Bridge, and Kyllang Rock.
- Try adventure activities like river rafting or kayaking at the Kyunshi river. You can also enjoy camping, horse riding, rock climbing, etc.
- Enjoy boating in Umiam Lake
How To Reach Shillong: The closest airport is Shillong Airport in Umroi. The nearest railway station is Guwahati railway station, located at a distance of 105 km from the destination.
Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Ooty in Tamil Nadu is a popular and beautiful hill station in South India where you can plan to spend your summer holidays with your loved ones and escape from the harsh heat. Snuggled in Nilgiris, Ooty is known for its pleasant weather and greenery. One should surely try the Toy Train Ride in this hill town and enjoy the most beautiful places like the waterfalls, flower gardens, tea estates, and many more.
Things To Do In Ooty
- Enjoy an exciting Toy Train Ride in Nilgiri Mountain Railways.
- Play golf at the Golf Course
- Enjoy camping at Avalanche Lake.
- Visit tea and coffee plantations along with various botanical gardens.
- Pay a visit to Kamaraj Sagar Dam, Emerald Lake, etc.
- Reach Doddabetta Peak and enjoy the magnificent view of the Nilgiri hills.
How To Reach Ooty: The nearest airport is in Coimbatore, which is 95 km from Ooty. The best way to reach Ooty is through the Nilgiri Mountain railways. However, many private bus services also operate daily.
The capital city of the beautiful state of Sikkim, Gangtok is a famous summer holiday destination in India. People from all around the world come to visit this beautiful town in the North East. The exquisite monasteries and most amazing natural beauty of the place will let you forget all your worries and gift you a blissful time. You get a chance to enjoy various adventure activities here while experiencing pleasant weather and beautiful surroundings. So, get ready for a trip to Gangtok this summer and come back rejuvenated.
Things To Do In Gangtok
- Try out adventure activities like paragliding and ropeway cable rides.
- Visit the Rumtek monastery.
- Go on river rafting in Teesta.
- Enjoy riding a yak at Tsomgo Lake
How To Reach Gangtok: The nearest airport is in Bagdogra, while the closest railway station is in Jalpaiguri in West Bengal.
If you are planning a summer holiday trip then try visiting Ladakh, or the “Land of High Passes”. The weather is quite cold and is a great place to escape the summer heat. The peaceful natural beauty, Tibetan monasteries, beautiful villages, crystal-clear lakes, and high-altitude mountains in Ladakh gives you so much scope to enjoy your holidays.
Thing To Do In Ladakh
- Visit Zanskar Valley, Tso Moriri, Pangong Tso Lake, and Hemis National Park.
- Pay a visit to various monasteries of Ladakh.
- Shanti Stupa and Leh Palace are the two most exciting attractions of Ladakh.
- Go on river rafting on the Indus river.
- Visit the Nubra Valley and ride a double-humped Bactrian camel.
How To Reach Ladakh: Kushok Rimpochee Airport, in Leh is the nearest airport and the nearest railhead to Ladakh is the Jammu Tawi railway station. You can reach Ladakh via roadways, from cities like Srinagar, Manali, etc.
Nainital is a hill town in Uttarakhand which is one of the top summer destinations in India. The place is known for its magnificent lakes, charming weather, and snow-clad mountains. You can try boat rides on Naini Lake or various other lakes in Nainital. A visit to this amazing place during the summer days will surely help you beat the heat and gift you a chance to enjoy a refreshing and peaceful vacation.
Things To Do In Nainital
- Enjoy boat rides at Naini Lake and a few other lakes.
- Visit Raj Bhavan, Naina Devi Temple, etc.
- Visit Snow Point by cable car.
- Shop at Tibetan Market
- Trek to Dorothy’s seat or Tiffin Top.
How To Reach Nainital: Pantnagar Airport, located at a distance of 65 km from Nainital is the closest airport, while the nearest railway station to the destination is Kathgodam Railway Station, and is at a distance of 34 km.
Kalimpong, West Bengal
One more summer destination in India that would give you a chance to escape the heat is Kalimpong in West Bengal. This is a less-known place however, is a perfect destination for those who are searching for peace and beauty during the summer times. The pleasant weather of this place along with so many tourist attractions and not to forget the magnificent views of nature in Kalimpong will surely leave you feeling awesome.
Things To Do In Kalimpong
- Trek to Deolo Hill
- Explore Dr. Graham’s Home.
- Visit the Mangal Dham and Pedong Monastery.
- Know about the Tibetan roots in Tharpa Choling Monastery.
How To Reach Kalimpong: The nearest air terminal is Bagdogra Airport and the closest railway station is New Jalpaiguri Railway Station. You can book your cabs to Kalimpong and enjoy the road drive from the railway station or airport.
Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
Coonoor in Tamil Nadu is a beautiful hill station that is a great destination to spend your summer holidays. Snuggled in the Nilgiris, this picturesque hill town is blessed with nature. The lush tea estates of Coonoor, the Blue Mountain’s trekking trails, amazing waterfalls, and crystal-clear lakes of this place will surely give you an exciting feeling. One of the best experiences here would be the Nilgiri Toy Train Ride.
Things To Do In Coonoor
- Trek to the Hidden Valley, Dolphin’s Nose, etc. and witness the scenic beauty.
- Visit Sim’s Park, Laws Falls, etc to experience nature’s gifts to Coonoor.
- Explore tea gardens and know about Nilgiri Tea.
- Visit the Doorg Fort and explore the ruins of Tipu Sultan’s empire.
How To Reach Coonoor: Coonoor has its railway station. The nearest airport is in Coimbatore, located at a distance of 70 km from the destination.
Lonavala is one of the most-visited and well-known hill stations in India that is listed among the top 20 summer holiday destinations in the country. Cuddled in the Western Ghats, Lonavala is at an elevation of 624 m and is blessed with various waterfalls, lakes, and historic caves. The place offers you several opportunities for trekking and hiking. Moreover, the weather here is one of the most pleasant ones that attract a lot of tourists to the place.
Things To Do In Lonavala
- Visit the Lohagad Fort, Bhaja Caves, etc.
- Enjoy a serene time at Kune Waterfalls.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride.
- Go on Canyon Valley Trek.
- Enjoy camping at Aundoli.
How To Reach Lonavala: Pune Airport and Lonavala railway station are the nearest airport and railway station respectively. You can easily find cabs to reach Lonavala from the airport or railway station.
Known for berries, especially raspberries, mulberries, and gooseberries, Mahabaleshwar is another wonderful place to visit in summer. This hill station is in Maharashtra is sits on the Western Ghat. Known for its exciting trekking trails, forested hills, and perfect weather, Mahabaleshwar is surely one of the places you might be looking to spend your summer holidays in India.
Things To Do In Mahabaleshwar
- Trek on various nature trails.
- Enjoy a boat ride on Venna Lak.
- Visit tourist attractions like Pratapgad Fort and Mahabaleshwar Temple.
How To Reach Mahabaleshwar: The closest airport and railway station is in Pune, i.e. at a distance of 120 km from Mahabaleshwar. You can drive to the destination from Pune or choose MSRTC buses.
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu sitting on a plateau is one of the most exciting summer destinations in India. This beautiful place in South India is known as ‘the gift of the forest’ and is blessed with many forests, greenery, waterfalls, and wonderful lakes. The beauty of Kodaikanal will surely let you forget all your worries.
Things To Do In Kodaikanal
- Enjoy at Bryant Park, visit the Green Valley View, Silver Cascade Falls, and Kodaikanal Lake.
- Try photography in the most beautiful surroundings from Dolphin’s Nose.
How To Reach Kodaikanal: This place is well-linked to Madurai Airport. The city has its own railway station.
Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh
Known for its spiritual significance, Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh is a hill station known as one of the most peaceful destinations to spend your summer holidays. The place serves as home to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government-in-exile. Dharamshala is also known for its natural beauty and the exciting adventure activities that it offers to tourists.
Things To Do In Dharamshala
- Try the adventure activities like paragliding and trekking.
- Relax and enjoy camping.
- Do not forget the Triund trek.
- Go on a day visit to Kangra Valley.
How To Reach Dharamshala: The nearest airport is Gaggal Aiport and the closest railway station is Pathankot station.
It could be hard to spend your days during summer days. However, the above-mentioned summer holiday destinations would surely help you escape the heat and give you a pleasant time to cherish life long. Choose any of the top 20 summer holiday destinations in India and beat the heat like a pro.