Why One Must Visit Sualkuchi in Assam & What are the Popular Things To Do And See in SualKuchi (2020)
Does village life make you curious? Do you wish to know more about the unique culture and rich history of North East India? Are you planning a vacation soon but are unable to zero out on a vacation destination? If your answer to these questions is yes, then probably you are one curious wanderlust traveller. However, you don’t have to worry much as we have done the hard job for you by bringing you a suitable vacation destination option. Located at a distance of about 30 km from the city of Guwahati, Sualkuchi is one of the popular tourist places to visit in Assam. It is a census town located in the Kamrup district in the North Eastern state of Assam. If explained in simpler terms, then you can understand Sualkuchi as a small sleepy village which will allow you to explore the cultures, tradition and a lot more about the state of Assam in the best possible way. In this article, we have gathered some of the important information about Sualkuchi which you should know before visiting it.
Why Should You Visit Sualkuchi, Assam?
Before choosing any one vacation destination, it is natural for you to get confused and you generally end up asking yourself this question: why should you be visiting this particular place. We understand your dilemma. Therefore, as far as Sualkuchi is concerned, we have got you covered. We have listed down some of the quick pointers which will tell you all the reasons why Sualkuchi should be your must – visit tourist place in Assam.
- Rich Culture And Traditions: Situated on the northern bank of the mighty river Brahmaputra, Sualkuchi is frequented by a lot of travellers who wish to experience and know about the culture as well as traditions of the North East India in the rawest and truest of forms.
- Witness Village Lifestyle: Visiting the Sualkuchi village will allow you to witness the true ethnicity and rustic lifestyle of the village locals. Filled with bamboo houses and walls covered with mud in order to maintain cool in summer season and warmth during the winters, the place is best if you wish to experience village life.
- Ecologically Diverse Area: You will be pleased to know that Sualkuchi also attracts a wide number of nature and wildlife lovers from all over the country too. Being rich in flora and fauna, the village is considered as an ecologically diverse area. When here, you not only get to spot the local exotic flora and fauna but also get to witness a vast bird species. Sualkuchi boasts of serving as a refuge for a varied species of migratory birds.
- Spiritual Spree: If you are looking forward to adding a small spiritual tour in your vacation itinerary, then you must know that Sualkuchi is a great tourist place to visit in Assam for you. Dotted with a plethora of temples, monasteries, and namghars on almost every nook and corner, the Sualkuchi village in Assam offers a complete spiritual tour to its visitors.
- Weaving Village: Well – known by the name of ‘Manchester of East’ for producing one of the best kinds of silk, the Sualkuchi village is popular for its excellent skills and craftsmanship. The impressive silk work is another exclusive feature of Sualkuchi. When here you can witness some very fascinating and intricate designs which are developed on the naturally golden Muga Silk in the karkhanas or workshops. The best part is that these workshops can be spotted beside almost every other house in the village. Moreover, since Sualkuchi has also been declared as a Handloom Heritage Village, it is now listed as a top tourist place to visit in Assam. Image Source
- Natural Beauty: Surrounded by sprawling green hills and scenic landscapes, the village of Sualkuchi, located on the northern banks of the elegant river Brahmaputra, exudes such an exceptional charm that you will completely fall head over heels in love with this beautiful place.
Popular Things To Do And See In Sualkuchi, Assam
If you are thinking that your trip to Sualkuchi would just be about experiencing the village life, then you are highly mistaken. Sualkuchi boasts of being surrounded by a plethora of stunning tourist places to visit in Assam. If you are worried about what to do in Sualkuchi, then don’t be. Here are some of the top things you can do when in Sualkuchi:
1. Visit Hajo:
Located at a distance of about just 12 km from Sualkuchi, Hajo is a well – known pilgrimage centre as well as a popular tourist place to visit in Assam Situated along the banks of the mighty yet elegant river Brahmaputra, this place receives abundant love and attention from people all over the country. One of the reasons behind it is that it houses attractions for people of all three religions including Hindu, Buddhists and Muslims. One can find here multiple Hindu Shrines dedicated to Goddess Durga, Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and at the same time you can even visit several shrines dedicated to Buddha and major Muslim saints. Though a small town it serves a significant role in representing religious as well as communal harmony. Other than its religious and cultural significance, the place is also well – known for its metal industry.
- Highlights of the Place: Home to multiple shrines belonging to Hindu, Muslim and Buddhism religion, scenic beauty, religious and cultural significance
- Best Time To Visit: Though the place is visited by tourists throughout the year but the best time to visit Haji would be in between the months of July and March. The weather during this period is extremely pleasant which further enhances the sightseeing experience.
- Opening Hours: There are no specific timings, you can visit the place any time.
- Entry Fee: There is no entry fee required to visit the place.
- Total Time Required To Explore: It will take about 1 day to fully explore the place.
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 5.2 km away
2. Go Shopping
For all the shopaholics out there, we have good news for you. The small town of Sualkuchi boasts of a large number of cottage industries engaged in handloom and is even known as ‘Manchester of Assam’ because of it. Two popular kinds of silks used here are Pat silk and Muga silk. Declared as a handloom heritage village, one can find here some of the best specimens of craftsmanship. There is a plethora of handwoven fabric which is created using techniques that are over centuries old. The best part is that most of them spot exceptional and unique designs. Other than its silk work, this rustic village is also well – known for its commendable bamboo handicraft items including baskets, fans and a lot more. You can go shopping in the local markets of the village and return home with valuable souvenirs.
- Highlights of the Place: Silk dresses, silk scarves, silk sarees, bamboo handicrafts
- Opening Hours: You can visit the local shops any time you wish. They are generally open throughout the day.
- Entry Fee: There is no entry fee. You just have to pay for the items you purchase.
- Total Time Required To Explore: Generally, 1 to 2 hours are enough but it can vary depending upon your shopping experience.
- Distance from Dispur, Assam: about 37 km away
3. See the River Brahmaputra:
Flowing through many towns and cities in the state of Assam, the river Brahmaputra also visits the quaint town of Sualkuchi. The lush greenery of the Sualkuchi forest range shielding the massive breadth of the Brahmaputra river bed creates a scene so magnificent that it leaves the travellers speechless. The agricultural fields that lay nearby also stand in complete contrast to the surroundings adding exceptional charm. If you are visiting Sualkuchi, make sure to go for a leisure stroll near the banks of the river Brahmaputra to have a memorable experience.
- Highlights of the Place: Scenic beauty, lush greenery, stunning sky views
- Best Time to Visit: Visit during evening for witnessing magical sunset views.
- Opening Hours: The place remains open throughout the day.
- Entry Fee: There is no entry fee required.
- Total Time to Explore: People usually spend about 2 to 3 hours here.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Sualkuchi, Assam?
Sualkuchi welcomes travellers from all over the country throughout the course of the year. However, if you are looking only for the best experience, then it is recommended that you plan your trip in between the months of November and March. The place experiences warm summers and cool winters.
With its rich culture, vast collection of flora and fauna, popular cottage industry, natural beauty and incredible silk work, Sualkuchi is definitely one of the top tourist places to visit in Assam.
FAQ’s For Tourists Planning to Visit Sualkuchi in Assam
Q1. Why is Sualkuchi known as ‘Manchester of East’?
Ans. Well – known throughout the country for its excellent skills and remarkable craftsmanship for producing one of the best kinds of silk in the entire state of Assam, this weaving village earned itself the name of ‘Manchester of East’.
Q2. Is Monsoon The Right Time To Visit Sualkuchi?
Ans. During the monsoon season, Sualkuchi can experience frequent heavy rainfall showers as well as strong thunderstorms. So, it is better to avoid visiting the place during monsoons.
Q3. What Can One Shop In Sualkuchi Do?
Ans. No matter whether you are looking for silk items like sarees, scarves, dresses or for bamboo handicraft, you will find the top – quality items in Sualkuchi.