Getting Around Goa: Travel Tips To Make Your Goa Trip Memorable (2022)
Filled with sun-kissed beaches, Goa in Western India is known for unraveling the rejuvenating opportunity for you to experience a coastal retreat. Adorning itself with gleaming sands and azure waters, Goa is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the country. Known for their unique capabilities, both North Goa and South Goa attract thousands of visitors every year. Whether you are simply looking for a beach getaway or a holiday with family or friends, Goa is the perfect place to offer everything. Here are some travel tips that can help you to create a perfect holiday recipe.
How to Reach Goa?
- By Air: Located 29 km away from Panjim, Dabolim Airport connects Goa with other parts of the country. Most of the popular airlines such as Jet Airways, Air India, Vistara, IndiGo, and AirAsia connect different cities such as Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Delhi to Goa. The Dabolim international airport is located at a distance of 4 km from Vasco da Gama city. Panjim, the capital of the state, is 30 km away from the airport. Image Source
- By Train: Madgaon and Thivim are two major railway stations in Goa that connect other different parts of the country with this beach destination. Image Source
- By Bus: If you are traveling to Goa from nearby cities such as Bangalore or Hyderabad, you will find plenty of intra-city and inter-city options. Both public and private bus operators such as MSRTC, KTC, and KSRTC operate regular buses from Panaji, Vasco Da Gama, and Madgaon. If you are traveling from Mumbai or Pune, you’ll find daily buses to Goa. Most of these buses leave at night and you’ll reach Goa early morning.
How to Get Around Goa?
There are a wide variety of options for you when you want to get around Goa in a hassle-free manner. The best options are taxis, tuk tuks, and walking for short distances. In this section, you will know more about each of these options.
- Taxis: Found throughout the tourist areas in Goa, taxis are the best way to move around. Always look for a reputable taxi operator to make your trips even more hassle-free. Make sure that you discuss the fare before boarding the taxi. Since the roads in Goa are in a condition better than other places in India, you’ll enjoy the journey to your destination. To give you an example of the fare, a trip from the airport to Candolim can cost you around INR 1500. Image Source
- Tuk Tuks: Tuk Tuk is another popular mode of transportation. Popularly known as auto rickshaw, tuk tuks make it easier for you to navigate through narrow lanes and can take you where a taxi won’t be able to reach. Whether you want to travel a short distance or cover a moderate distance, tuk tuks are the best way to use. Besides being frequently available, these auto rickshaws are cheap as well. You can easily identify them because of their yellow and black paintwork. Image Source
- Walking: If you want to indulge in interacting with the local people, you can also walk to your destination. No matter which beach you are at, you can definitely stroll around to explore the local shops and eateries. The beach shacks and beachfront areas are best explored on foot. Image Source
6 Travel Tips to Remember During Your Stay in Goa
Being an outstanding beach destination, Goa attracts thousands of youngsters from home and abroad alike. Ideal for those who want to combine adventure and romance, Goa requires you to follow a couple of travel tips which will make your vacation even more blissful. Keep these tips handy during your stay in Goa.
- Respect the Culture: Being home to famous religious places, Goa attracts thousands of visitors every year who come here to witness the elegance of the churches and temples here. That’s why you need to maintain proper etiquette and show respect while visiting these places. Make sure that you remove your shoes and slippers before entering these religious places. Also, cover your head and wear a decent dress while visiting these places of religious importance in Goa.
- Keep Your Documents Safe: During your stay in Goa, you must be very careful about keeping your essential documents such as driving license, visa, and passport safe. Besides keeping these documents in your hotel locker room, consider carrying soft copies of these essential documents. You can also upload these documents to your mail so that you can access them when you need them.
- Don’t Carry Too Much Cash: If you are visiting Goa for the first time, it is best not to carry much cash. Most of the popular places are often targeted by pickpockets. In order to avoid losing money to such unfortunate causes, you can carry your credit and debit cards with you. Also, be sure to look at the bills produced by hotels and restaurants that you visit during your stay in Goa. Image Source
- Don’t Click Pictures at Photography Restricted Areas: Even though Goa is extremely popular among photographers, there are places with a signboard saying No Pictures or Photography Restricted. You will find many popular attractions such as temples, churches, caves, forts, and museums where you will find such signs. And, if you are clicking a person, always be polite to ask first.
- Think Before You Shop: Goa is filled with markets that make this beach destination a shopaholic’s dream. Adorning itself with flea markets and night markets, Goa is popular for handicrafts, apparels, jewelry items, and so on. While roaming in these markets, you need to be careful about being cheated by sellers. Always check the quality of the products that you are buying and keep an eye on your belongings.
- Choose Your Accommodation Carefully: Whether you want to enjoy a splendid beach view or experience beach vibes, you need to choose your accommodation carefully. While selecting from a wide variety of hotels, hostels, beach resorts, and homestays, you must be careful about choosing the place. And, always read genuine reviews before selecting the place of stay.
Whether you are visiting Goa to enjoy a fun-filled vacation or to experience the exuberant nightlife, you must adhere to these travel tips during your stay in Goa. As you keep these travel tips handy, it will be much easier for you to navigate the popular attractions and make your trip a memorable one.