Visit Mashobra: A Lesser-Known Paradise Near Shimla in Himachal Pradesh (2024)
Mashobra is a small paradise located very close to Shimla. It is located in the Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh In India. Unlike the heavily populated city Shimla, people are now moving to Mashobra when finding places to stay during their vacation to get away from the hustle-bustle of the crowded city life. Additionally, the beautiful views of the valley from Mashobra are exceptional and awe-inspiring which should not be missed at any cost when you are in the area. You will enjoy looking at the misty mountains in the mornings and evenings, pine, oak, cedar, deodar trees, apple orchards in your vicinity. There is a beautiful stream that adorns the valley amidst the mountains and lush greenery. Enjoying this sight and sitting in the lap of nature will let you connect to your inner self and nature.
Mashobra is frequently known as “Silent Shimla” because of its close vicinity to the city and still being miles away from the chaos of the city life. People often come to stay at the hilltop hotels and homestays and enjoy their weekends or extended weekends at this place. Mashobra is an ideal place if you do not want to go far from the plains and yet want to enjoy the quiet and quaint places. You will also see a whiff of the British era at this place with the old buildings in the area. It is a nice place to reminisce and enjoy time in the beauty of nature. Mashobra is a birdwatcher’s paradise as a walk through the Reserve Forest Sanctuary will allow you to enjoy various species of birds. There are many migratory birds as well that visit the pace at different times of the year. The details to plan your vacation to this little paradise are listed below.
Places To See and Things To Do When In Mashobra
- Camping: Camping is the best way to enjoy your time in the lap of nature in the wilderness. You will get to stay amidst the lush greenery if you are planning to camp here. Do not worry if you do not have any camping equipment with you to carry. Many tourist companies provide camping services at the best prices and you can make most of it. They provide you with all the equipment like tents, sleeping bags, and other necessary equipment. They arrange a bonfire for you to stay warm and enjoy the outdoors as well. It is a one-of-a-kind experience. Do not miss camping while you are in Mashobra.
- Bird Watching: One of the most fun activities, when you visit Mashobra, is bird watching. There are many flocks of birds you will see visiting Mashobra at various times of the year. You can enjoy your time walking and admiring different species of birds while looking at nature. The Reserve Forest Sanctuary in Mashobra houses one of Asia’s largest watersheds that supply water to Shimla. The lush greenery in the area and the abundant amount of water accompanied with pleasant weather in this part of the heaven attracts several birds throughout the year. Birdwatchers come to Mashobra to enjoy looking at the birds many times during the year. One can trek to the forest reserve and enjoy looking at the birds. You do not need a guide to see the place.
- Paragliding: This is one of the most famous things people like to do at Mashobra. Paragliding is an adventure activity that is being offered at a few places in India and Mashobra is one of the most famous places you can do paragliding at. Tourists from all around the country and outside visit Mashobra to enjoy Paragliding. You take off from a hill and enjoy the scenery while you are flying with a hot air balloon and enjoy the mesmerizing beauty and the lush green mountains and valleys. This is a sight to behold and a moment to behold your entire life. It is one of the most beautiful sites one can see while flying in the mid-air along.
- Quad Biking: Quad biking is not a very famous activity to do in Mashobra, but it certainly is a very fun activity for tourists to do. You can try Quad biking in Mashobra if you have not tried it before. One can also go to Tattapani eaters to try and experience the thrill of quad biking. There are many tour companies offering packages for these adventure sports around the area. They have good packages you can buy to enjoy these activities in and around Mashobra.
- Biking: Many tourists and adventure junkies from the plains come to Mashobra on their bikes. Bike rides in the mountains are very thrilling. You can feel the fresh air while riding the bike and making those curves on the hilly roads along the hills and valleys is an adventure in itself. It is common for people living in Delhi and Chandigarh to go for a bike ride to Shimla and Mashobra and nearby areas. However, you will very well see many people traveling far away from different parts of the country traveling to the area on their bikes. This is certainly a very adventurous thing to do. You can also rent a bike when you are in Mashobra to experience bike riding in the lush green hills in case you are not comfortable traveling by bike all through your journey.
- Hiking: There are many famous hiking sports around Mashobra which are famous for the views the valley has to offer. One can enjoy a solo hike or with friends and family. The hikes are easy to moderate difficulty hikes which can be taken easily if you have a decent fitness level and availability of time. Several trekking and hiking routes start from Mashobra which can be taken by the tourists. You can see some of the best views of pine forests and mountain tops. You will be able to see the majestic and awe-inspiring mountain ranges while you are hiking in this area. You can hike from Mashobra to Shali Tibba which is situated at an altitude of 9,423 feet and offers unmatchable views of the mountains. You can also trek from Fagu to the village of Chharabra via the Tattapani stream and take a hot bath in the waters here. It is also a very beautiful day trek for tourists to enjoy and is quite easy for people of all ages to go.
- Rappelling: You can test your shoulder and arms strength with rappelling and rock climbing. In addition to the strenuous part of this activity, it is fun and thrilling. You can have a really good time doing these activities in Mashobra. It feels a little difficult when you are going to try it, but it gets really exciting when you are doing rappelling and you would feel like doing it again and again.
- Skiing: Believe it or not you can enjoy Skiing at Mashobra as well. Mashobra is also an excellent place for skiing in winter. Mashobra beats Shimla at being a highly preferred skiing destination. The fact that Mashobra is rather untouched and less crowded makes it a more favorable destination to try skiing than Shimla. The place remains covered in with snow all through the winter season and is quite an experience to try skiing here. You must not miss the opportunity to try Skiing if you are visiting Shimla or Mashobra during the winter.
- Shopping: One of the most fun and adventurous activities is shopping in Mashobra. Well, it is true for women at least. You must visit the Tibetan market if you are a fan of junk jewelry and traditional Tibetan items. They are some exquisite pieces of jewelry you can choose from. You can also choose woolen clothes from this market as this is a famous place to buy clothes from. You should know how to haggle if you are visiting these markets. It is a nice place for a day out where you can enjoy the famous Tibetan street food as well while enjoying shopping.
How to Reach Mashobra?
Mashobra is a well-connected hill station and is well connected via train, flight, and by road. Although since it is a hill station, it becomes mandatory to travel by road. You can choose from the air travel, trains, buses, or taxis based on your budget and convenience to reach this heavenly abode to calm your senses and heals your mind, body, and soul. Different modes of reaching Mashobra are mentioned below:
- Reaching Mashobra by Flight: The nearest airport to reach Mashobra is Jubbarhatti and is 23 kilometers from Shimla. There are direct flights to Jubbarhatti from Delhi and Chandigarh. You can also take a flight to Chandigarh and reach Shimla by bus or a private Taxi. The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is very good and will take around4-5 hours t reach Shimla. If you are coming from Delhi and do not have a lot of time to spare traveling via bus or train, you can take a direct flight from Delhi to Jubbarbhatti.
- Reaching Mashobra by Train: The nearest railway station to Mashobra in Shimla. Reaching Mashobra by train is a little tricky but is a scenic ride. You can take a train till Chandigarh from your respective stations and take a bus or taxi to reach Kalka. From Kalka, you can take the famous toy train to reach Shimla which is a single-track rail and is the most scenic route you will be on in the northern part of India on a train in the Himalayas. From Shimla, you can take a taxi to reach Mashobra or you can also take a bus from the new bus stand Shimla.
- Reaching Mashobra by Road: You can either take a bus or taxi to reach Mashobra directly. To reach Mashobra by Bus, you can take an overnight bus from ISBT New Delhi to reach Shimla or you can take a bus from Chandigarh to reach Shimla. The bus takes 4-5 hours to reach Shimla from Chandigarh. You can take a taxi from ISBT Shimla to reach Mashobra. Or the best and a little expensive option to hire a taxi to reach Mashobra directly. You can choose your mode of conveyance based on our ease and pocket.
Best Time to Visit Mashobra
April to June is the best time to visit Mashobra. However, with a cool and pleasant climate all-round the year Mashobra is visited by tourists at all times of the year. Mahasu and Sipi festival are the two most famous festivals that take place in May which are very famous among both tourists and locals. Many tourists come for these festivals during the season. Winters are very chilly in Mashobra with occasional snowfall in December and January. As the summer starts, when the snow starts to melt, you will start seeing the greenery and flowers all around which makes the place look like heaven. The weather is pleasant in summers and is considered the ideal time to spend in the lap of the Himalayas.
There is a huge rush of tourists in Mashobra from March to May and the temperature is pleasant compared to other parts of the country where it is brazenly hot. Every weather has its charm and some new thing and scenery in the hills at Mashobra. You can decide when you want to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city and want to stay and rejuvenate your cluttered mind in the lap of Himalayas.
Places to Stay in Mashobra
There are many comfortable and luxurious resorts in Mashobra for you to enjoy the beauty of the hills in the area. These luxurious resorts offer a panoramic view of the valley and have all the necessary services available for you to treat your senses. You can also find many homestays which are quite famous among families as well as young people and adventure seekers as you can have the entire area to yourself and enjoy there as per your comfort. And if you are staying with a landlord at your homestay, you get to enjoy the local and homecooked food in addition to getting to know the local folk stories and hidden spots for you to see. Some of the famous resorts around the area are Marigold Sarovar Portico, Club Mahindra Mashobra Resorts, Hillcrest Resorts, V Resorts Mashobra Greens, Sitapur Village Resort among the many resorts in the area.
Food To Eat While In Mashobra
Many famous restaurants are offering lip-smacking food in the area. You will find restaurants serving multi-cuisine food you can enjoy. Additionally, the resorts mentioned above have amazing in-house restaurants where you can enjoy scrumptious meals with a view of the valley which makes the food taste even better. There are also many street vendors offering some of the best Tibetan dishes for you to enjoy. If you do not worry about eating outside local food, the street food in Mashobra is a must-try. This place will not disappoint you. Visit Mashobra to treat all your sense and get bewitched by the beauty of this place.