Feel Rejuvenated At The Iruppu Falls In Coorg, Karnataka (2023)
Located in the Brahmagiri Range in the Kodagu district of the Indian state of Karnataka, bordering the Wayanad district of Kerala, Irupu Falls are truly scenic. Nestled in the Brahmagiri hill range between Srimangala and Kutta, Irrupu Falls or Lakshmana Tirtha Falls as it is commonly known as is one of the top tourist places to visit in Karnataka. Watching the striking streams of water cascading down the mighty hills, Iruppu falls in the Coorg district of South Karnataka is an alluring freshwater waterfall that not only captivates the heart of just nature lovers but everyone.
Surrounded with the lush greenery of the beautiful evergreen forests of Western Ghats, the waterfall adds an incomparable scenic beauty to the already mesmerising Coorg district. Tourists come from far and across the country to enjoy the blissful natural serenity, grandeur as well as the religious aspect of the Iruppu falls. In this article, we have brought for you all the information which you must know about the Iruppu Waterfalls before actually visiting it.
Why Should You Visit The Iruppu Falls In Coorg?
Falling from a whopping height of about 170 feet, Iruppu Falls is a waterfall that attracts the attention of numerous travellers with its stunning beauty and thunderous sounds. Situated amidst the refreshing greenery of the Western Ghats, with the sounds of birds and animals around, witnessing the water cascading down in such a peaceful atmosphere is a sight that will get imprinted in your heart for long. It is considered as a popular picnic spot too. Are you still searching for more reasons to visit this top tourist place in Karnataka? If yes, then we have already prepared a list for you.
- Popular legend: There is an interesting legend surrounding the Iruppu falls which makes it into a sacred belief. It is said that once Lord Rama and his younger brother Lakshmana were passing along the Bhramagiri range while looking for Sita. During the search Lord Rama asked Lakshmana to fetch some water to drink. Though Lakshmana looked around for a source of water nearby, he couldn’t find any and hence to fulfil his brother’s request, he then shot an arrow penetrating into the Brahmagiri hills. As a result, clean and pure stream of river spilt out of the hills. Hence, it was given the name of Lakshmana Tirtha.
- Rameshwara Temple: Corresponding to the legend, it is believed that the Rameshwara temple and its Shivalinga were built by Lord Rama himself. This temple sports a resemblance to Kerala style of architecture and holds immense significance in the heart of devotees. Many devotees consider it auspicious and even mandatory to first visit the temple before going up to see the Iruppu Falls.
- Take a dip in the falls: It is believed that the refreshing waters of the Iruppu Falls possess healing power. Taking a dip in the waters of Iruppu Falls is said to cleanse a person’s sins and purify their soul. Hence, a lot of devotees who visit these falls make sure to take a dip here seeking salvation.
- Thrilling nature walk: Those who wish to do something thrilling can go for a 500 metres uphill nature walk along the stream and witness the first fall or Iruppu. Since the path is slippery and covered with thick woods on both sides, one must be extremely careful. It is a memorable experience for all the adventurers, photographers and nature lovers.
Iruppu Falls Opening Hours
Topping the list of popular places to visit in Karnataka, Iruppu falls are open for visitors on all days of the weeks and even on days of public holidays. The timings for visiting the same are:
- Monday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Tuesday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Wednesday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Thursday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Friday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Saturday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
- Sunday 8 AM till 6.30 PM
What Is The Best Way To Reach The Iruppu Falls In Coorg?
Reaching the Iruppu Falls is not a difficult task. Since they are well connected, you can easily reach this popular tourist place in Karnataka by the following means:
- By Road: For reaching Iruppu falls by road, you can do so from Gonikoppal to Nagarhole national park via Kutta road. The Nagarhole National Park is about 20 km away from Iruppu falls. You can easily rent a cab or hire a taxi from all major town to reach the waterfalls.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to reach the Iruppu waterfalls is Mysore Junction. It is located at a distance of about 110 km from the falls. Other major railway stations located nearby are Mangalore and Hassan.
- By Bus: The nearest bus stop to the Iruppu Falls is located at Kutta. From this bus station, there are plenty of buses that travel to and fro to many major cities including Madikeri, Virajpet, Mysuru and man more via SH 89. Moreover, KSRTC also operate deluxe bus service from Mangalore, Bengaluru and Mysore till Kutta. From here, you can then take a taxi to reach the falls.
Best Time To Visit The Iruppu Falls
For the best experience, it is recommended that travellers visit the Iruppu Falls during the monsoon and winter season, in between the months of August and January.
Where To Stay Near The Iruppu Falls?
As far as accommodations near Iruppu Falls are concerned, you don’t have to worry. Some of the best and most comfortable hotels that you can consider are – Machan Nagarhole (about 12.6 km away) and Taj Madikeri Resort and Spa (about 62 km away).
What Are The Different Places To See Near Iruppu Falls?
Since many exciting places lie nearby the Iruppu Falls, you can combine some in your visit to double the fun. Some of the places that are worth visiting are:
- Nagarhole National Park: Located approximately 35 km away from Iruppu falls, this national park is like a haven for all the wildlife enthusiasts and nature lovers. The park is known to house a wide variety of wildlife animals and reptiles too. Image Source
- Kutta: It is a small but idyllic hamlet located on the border of Karnataka and Kerala. Though there are not many major attractions here except the Kabini backwaters, but if you are looking for natural beauty and solitude then this place is a must-visit for you. Image Source
Other than its charming natural beauty, another factor which makes Iruppu falls such a popular choice among travellers is its association with the Hindu religion.